Palp a 2nd Degree Block?

Actually, it's the second line of the music video.

Yep. Couldn't remember what it said, went to watch it, got a call so just hit send on what I already had.

Won't happen again boss ;)

Have you all forgotten about another very simple explanation... sinus pause? (Although the OP did ask about the Type 2 blocks...)

this was my first thought...

inspiration coordinated with the 4th beat.

edit: i said that backwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you all forgotten about another very simple explanation... sinus pause? (Although the OP did ask about the Type 2 blocks...)

Sinus pause is a fairly uncommon cause of consistent dropped beats causing grouped beats. At that point you'd probably consider it a type 2 sinoatrial exit block.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seems dubious for a consistently regular finding.

Maybe so, however, I've seen it happen and the person that had it wasn't aware of it until she actually took her pulse. She was also dropping the expected 4th beat, and it was timed quite well with her inspiratory effort. Since she was actually breathing about every 3-4 seconds...

Without actually seeing the strip... it could be a lot of things. Without a monitor, I also tend to actually listen while I take a pulse when I feel something is a bit "off" with the pulse.

Maybe so, however, I've seen it happen and the person that had it wasn't aware of it until she actually took her pulse. She was also dropping the expected 4th beat, and it was timed quite well with her inspiratory effort. Since she was actually breathing about every 3-4 seconds...

Without actually seeing the strip... it could be a lot of things. Without a monitor, I also tend to actually listen while I take a pulse when I feel something is a bit "off" with the pulse.

i believe you and i are referring to a respiratory induced sinus arrythmia, and others are referring to a transient sinus arrest/pause. two different things, which may be leading to the confusion.

there is indication that heart rate can match the timing of the respiratory cycle, so its not too far of a stretch to say the pause OP experienced could be linked to the respirations but...idk, who knows

i believe you and i are referring to a respiratory induced sinus arrhythmia, and others are referring to a transient sinus arrest/pause. two different things, which may be leading to the confusion.

there is indication that heart rate can match the timing of the respiratory cycle, so its not too far of a stretch to say the pause OP experienced could be linked to the respirations but...idk, who knows
That's precisely what I'm referring to.

My husband's does that if he drinks too much caffeine. The doctor simply said to quit drinking so Much caffeine.

Back