Oxygen D tank refilling

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
M

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
I don't believe my fellow members are giving/denying permission. It appears they are looking out for the best interests of any potential patient you may encounter.

perhaps "permission" is not the best word, I mean like, I just ask to see if anyone knows of a nice place to fill in my area, and I get all sorts of ......

you know what I mean...

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
perhaps "permission" is not the best word, I mean like, I just ask to see if anyone knows of a nice place to fill in my area, and I get all sorts of ......

you know what I mean...

Fair enough, and here is your answer. You say you are in EMS now, so go to your Medical Director and ask him where he wants you to fill your personal D-cylinder.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

you know what I mean...

Have you tried contacting the places that you know, fill oxygen tanks in your area?

Might be a good place to start, I can't imagine many (if any) EMS providers have a go to spot for getting their personal tanks filled because well, they don't actually have personal tanks.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
If the day comes, that O2 becomes contraindicated for first aid use, that's when I wont consider it's use.

In my protocol O2 is contraindicated with anyone who has an SpO2 of 95% or greater. And anyone who is a CO2 retainer usually is titered between 88-92%.

And all the paramedics I talk to say they stop at 99 since 100% is not beneficial.

And your "main stream" thinking is 20 years old.

On a side note you should get some IV supplies and some NS .9% for your patients... since fluids never hurt! I hope you people know I am kidding.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
I already know where the agency goes, but that place is huge and does big orders, like really big, and Im not sure if they would bother with one customer with one tank.

I'd ask the Medical Director, but I doubt he would know the answer to my question, as I am certain, as it is also said, very rare for an EMT to be filling his own personal tank.

I did call a place, was quoted $11.50 for the fill. I don't know what they would need from me, minimum order? contract? who knows... I guess I'll find out when the day comes.

I didn't find any other places close by.

"In my protocol O2 is contraindicated with anyone who has an SpO2 of 95% or greater. And anyone who is a CO2 retainer usually is titered between 88-92%. And all the paramedics I talk to say they shoot for 99% "

Are you sure you mean "Contraindicated?" or do they just not do it because its not necessary ?

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
From the King county protocol. "When the patient’s oxygen saturation is 95% or greater, do not administer oxygen."

Let me put in my last word here. Be very careful. I know you want to help people and I am happy you are eager. I recommend if you have the desire to become a paramedic and learn more so you understand why you are doing xyz and not just doing xyz because someone said to. People these days are very litigious, and just because it is legal it may not be "with do regard" or, as someone else with your training and in a similar situation would do. I would say if you are going to get your own O2, learn as much as you can about it. Why is it used, when should it be used, when should it not be used. Learn how and why it diffused into the body and how hyperoxia (high O2 saturation) can cause damage to tissue. Use this passion and drive that you have and learn about what you are getting into. Heck! Become a MD/DO/NP something and you can have anything you want and you can use it how you want. I just beg of you to LEARN why. And WE will help you learn. WE may be brash, confrontational, blunt, and what not. But it is because we want you to learn why and know why you do things. WE are all here to help you even if it does not seem like it.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
37046530.jpg

OP
OP
M

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
From the King county protocol. "When the patient’s oxygen saturation is 95% or greater, do not administer oxygen."

That is a nice attitude. It is always good to learn i can agree.

But that protocol, i think its just so you dont waste your O2. Like, its already 95 % on room air, shrug, I wouldn't use it either.

OP
OP
M

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
On a side note you should get some IV supplies and some NS .9% for your patients... since fluids never hurt! I hope you people know I am kidding.

Oh I missed that earlier. Oh HELL NO, thats definitely RX ONLY. Totally NOT in the realm of first aid. White text is hard to see

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Oh I missed that earlier. Oh HELL NO, thats definitely RX ONLY. Totally NOT in the realm of first aid. White text is hard to see

Medical O2 is Rx only as well. Your point?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader

But that protocol, i think its just so you dont waste your O2. Like, its already 95 % on room air, shrug, I wouldn't use it either.

This isn't why protocols are written. These days, we've hopefully (for the most part) moved past doing things because "shrug, why not" or "I have a feeling." In this case, you're mistaken. EMT courses aren't the font of all knowledge and there is certainly more science behind not administering oxygen when it's not indicated than avoiding waste.

Achilles

Forum Moron
Are we actually still talking about this? :wacko:

Status
Not open for further replies.