Oxygen D tank refilling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
Hi Guys,

Ebay has brand new empty CGA 870 D tanks for around 50 bucks shipped.

I am going to buy one for my home emergency kit. ( you never know, love thy neighbor and etc )

I have an EMT-B cert.

I have never filled a tank before.

Where in or near New York City can I have a personal D tank filled?

and how much can I expect to pay ?

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
You need to get an MD to authorize it with a prescription.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hi Guys,

Ebay has brand new empty CGA 870 D tanks for around 50 bucks shipped.

I am going to buy one for my home emergency kit. ( you never know, love thy neighbor and etc )

I have an EMT-B cert.

I have never filled a tank before.

Where in or near New York City can I have a personal D tank filled?

and how much can I expect to pay ?

oxygen is a medication. You need medical oversight to administer and carry it. ...Unless NY is different than other states.

OP
OP
M

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant

Mariemt

Forum Captain
Why on earth are they allowed to advertise that you need no training to use o2???

I apply a pulse ox during an arrest. Its not an o2 free for all!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Why on earth are they allowed to advertise that you need no training to use o2???

I apply a pulse ox during an arrest. Its not an o2 free for all!

I honestly don't know when the last time I used a pulse ox during an arrest is...

Achilles

Forum Moron

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Ours displays EtCo2 on the king.

Exactly. And on non-advanced airway codes, I just slap a capnocanula on them while bagging. It works

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Welding supply

Ours displays EtCo2 on the king.

That's pretty much becoming standard on any advanced airway. SpO2 not so much. Never have used it on a full arrest.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Aren't there studied showing that pulse oximetry readings are actually delayed by five or six minutes? Seems unwise to use on an arrest.

Mariemt

Forum Captain
Aren't there studied showing that pulse oximetry readings are actually delayed by five or six minutes? Seems unwise to use on an arrest.

Ummmm. No? I can tell my pt ( not an arrest pt of course) to take couple deep breaths and it goes up within seconds.

I can put it on myself and hold my breath and watch it fall just as rapidly.

We use it per protocol to watch for over oxygenation during arrests at the beginning of CPR while it be trauma or medical while you are setting up your King etc etc. While it is true you expect o2 levels to be down at the beginning, our service prefers to monitor. If it will take time away from CPR, then we can skip it

Studies show you have a less of a chance of permanent brain injury if you keep o2 SATs between 93 and 95 etc etc. .

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
Ummmm. No? I can tell my pt ( not an arrest pt of course) to take couple deep breaths and it goes up within seconds.

I can put it on myself and hold my breath and watch it fall just as rapidly.

We use it per protocol to watch for over oxygenation during arrests at the beginning of CPR while it be trauma or medical while you are setting up your King etc etc. While it is true you expect o2 levels to be down at the beginning, our service prefers to monitor. If it will take time away from CPR, then we can skip it

Studies show you have a less of a chance of permanent brain injury if you keep o2 SATs between 93 and 95 etc etc. .

Ummmmmmm yes. Tigger is correct. Maybe not as drastic as minutes, but still pertinent. All this spo2 stuff you're talking about Mariemt is honestly BS. Capnography is far more applicable clinically, than Spo2 for arrests.

Emcrit on it: http://emcrit.org/podcasts/oxygen-physiology/

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Welding O2 is not USP.
Correct. Welding O2 isn't guaranteed to be of the same purity as it would be if it's USP O2. (USP = United States Pharmacopeia). On the other hand, it's entirely possible that the oxygen you get from a welding gas supplier is actually USP, but just isn't labeled that way.

Where you get the Oxygen, USP or otherwise, is quite likely a welding gas supplier. When I worked in the San Jose area, we used to get our medical gasses from Airgas. They're a welding gas supplier, but they also had a medical gas product line...

We had a cascade system for filling our D tanks if we were running low on filled Jumbo-D tanks. We preferred (by far) to have Airgas do the filling though. If we had to use the cascade system, it was because we'd run out and hadn't gotten any tanks back from Airgas. It was a system that worked pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.