Oxygen D tank refilling

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
M

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
I said it over the life of the thread, the 02 is for the first aid kit to help others if needed.

my research indicates that o2 is Rx except if used in emergencies at 6 lpm+ and it can last a certain amount of minutes. and I have linked a reference and also a retailer that sells such o2 with no prescription.

true that nothing lasts forever, but masks tubes and etc lasts a heck of a long time, and my stuff don't even have any EXP date printed on them.

Paperwork cant be so bad, keep receipts in a file ?

storage... just put it in the 02 bag and leave it with the rest of the first aid kit. ( inside closet )

----------------------------------------
So I cant find any regulations regarding having to empty a 02 tank when the 5 years is up, I can only find information saying that tests must be done every 5 years, and if your tank is not tested - it cannot be refilled until it is tested.

When you say "we have to empty a cylinder when test date comes up" could that just be an In-House thing your logistics department decided to do?

"Compressed oxygen is a hazardous material. (49 CFR Section
172.101, Table). Each cylinder used for the transportation of compressed
oxygen must meet DOT specifications and bear DOT specification markings and
be "qualified." No one may use an unqualified cylinder in transportation.

Such cylinders must be "requalified" at certain times and under
certain conditions. Requalification must be done by a person holding DOT
approval. (Section 180.205). Cylinders which are not qualified or
requalified may not be refilled."

the NYS EMS have an oxygen policy here: http://www.health.ny.gov/professionals/ems/pdf/98-06.pdf

here is the part I think is worth quoting

"Any cylinder placed in service by an EMS service, whether or not it is currently on a vehicle, must be within test requirements as evidenced by a valid hydrostatic test date imprinted on the cylinder."

I read that as any tank used must have been tested and have a test date on the tank. I think a tank that is built to last indefinitely is considered within test requirements if there is still pressure inside it, and it is in good condition.

I think that if a tank that has a test date past 5 years, it is still good to be used, but just needs testing before refilling. BECAUSE the dangerous part is increasing the pressure inside the tank, ( filling ) If the tank already has 2000 psi in it, and it has been sitting there for months upon months just fine, decreasing the pressure inside it wont harm the tank, ie using it, or purposeful emptying. I think that having 2000 psi in a tank is like a test all in itself...

but anyway as a layperson at home, I am not a EMS Service therefore my first aid bottle at home would not be under control of the NYS EMS, therefore it would just fall under DOT guidelines of "it cannot be refilled unless it is tested.."

This is of course just what I, one person, was able to research and this is the views of one person. I could be wrong, as we are all just human,

If anyone have evidence supporting or countering my research I would love to hear it.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Okay... So you're in for the long haul. You plan on just storing this stuff until it's needed... even if it never is. If you're in NYC, how far away do you really think help is? Do you plan to tote this stuff with you everywhere you go on the off chance you randomly run into someone who is short of breath? You'll just whip out a tank and mask and save the day?

I just don't understand why you want it. Because it's cool?

Want to know what's in my first aid kit? Some basic bandages, tweezers, neosporin and a pocket mask. Sure, I could carry a whole jump bag in my car, but to what end?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Miscusi,

Here's what I don't get. Why spend money to buy something to put in your closet, "just in case".

Current research is showing that oxygen isn't harmless, and that overuse can be more dangerous than not using it.

If you went to be prepared for "just in case" - spend this money to stock up on food and water. Become a "prepper" to some level. A BLS bag and O2 kit have very little place in a disaster. Oxygen is only going to last for a short time anyway.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Miscusi,

Here's what I don't get. Why spend money to buy something to put in your closet, "just in case".

Current research is showing that oxygen isn't harmless, and that overuse can be more dangerous than not using it.

If you went to be prepared for "just in case" - spend this money to stock up on food and water. Become a "prepper" to some level. A BLS bag and O2 kit have very little place in a disaster. Oxygen is only going to last for a short time anyway.

This

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
This

thread is ridiculous.

Mariemt

Forum Captain
Between your new SAM splints, AEDs, O2 tanks and all your other stuff... you will need a wagon to haul it all.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Between your new SAM splints, AEDs, O2 tanks and all your other stuff... you will need a wagon to haul it all.

Just a quick hint....

It's called an ambulance.

:rofl:

OP
OP
M

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
To you people who don't agree, or cant see the reason why... that's just your personal preference.

I have money, It isn't expensive, Its something I would like to have.

I will never force you to go get one yourself,

but I think having a first aid 02 bottle to help ppl in emergencies is cool.

Not because help isn't close, nor am I going to haul it everywhere,

"Current research is showing that oxygen isn't harmless, and that overuse can be more dangerous than not using it."

its not for overuse.
its for first aid use.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
To you people who don't agree, or cant see the reason why... that's just your personal preference.

I have money, It isn't expensive, Its something I would like to have.

I will never force you to go get one yourself,

but I think having a first aid 02 bottle to help ppl in emergencies is cool.

Not because help isn't close, nor am I going to haul it everywhere,

"Current research is showing that oxygen isn't harmless, and that overuse can be more dangerous than not using it."

its not for overuse.
its for first aid use.
Again, if you are doing it because you think it's cool...then you're doing it for the wrong reasons.

And how many lives do you think you will save by administering oxygen? Better yet, let me ask all our forum members here this question:

"How many lives have you saved by administering oxygen (and nothing else)?"

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Again, if you are doing it because you think it's cool...then you're doing it for the wrong reasons.

And how many lives do you think you will save by administering oxygen? Better yet, let me ask all our forum members here this question:

Big fat 0 here ... At least so far in my 7 years as a medic.

Living in an urban setting I really don't see the need for all of this. Is this a case of new medic syndrome (EMT for the USA I guess)?
Being a new EMT can be very fun an exciting... We have all been there. One day you op will understand and try to warn a new young Ricky rescue of doing what you are now. It is one of the cycles of ems.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant

Let me define "Cool" for you as I was using it.

I mean it as "being a positive" or "good"

You probably think I was going to put sunglasses on it.

Sometimes you will hear the reverse usage of the word cool, such as, "I just stole the wallet from the patient" ! upon which you say " THATS NOT COOL "

I will not speculate on the future, and it is not "with nothing else", the first aid use of oxygen is very specific, for hypoxia, emergency resuscitation.

Its really not a big deal. Many authorities believe it helps, having it handy isn't going to have any negative effects, but if one day it can help someone that would be great, and if I die before that day comes then so be it.

and about the "why spend" or "Waste of money" , I do not demand any kind of return on this "investment" of 60 dollars, I pay more than that for lunch sometimes..

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

Sometimes you will hear the reverse usage of the word cool, such as, "I just stole the wallet from the patient" ! upon which you say " THATS NOT COOL "

I will not speculate on the future, and it is not "with nothing else", the first aid use of oxygen is very specific, for hypoxia, emergency resuscitation.

Its really not a big deal. Many authorities believe it helps, having it handy isn't going to have any negative effects, but if one day it can help someone that would be great, and if I die before that day comes then so be it.

It do not demand any kind of return on this "investment" of 60 dollars, I pay more than that for lunch sometimes..
I hope someday you can look back on this thread and realize how ridiculous you sound . I am not tryi to insult you but rather help you( along with everyone else)

I hope you don't get sued or arrested for playing a Ricky rescue someday.

Oh and enjoy your expensive lunches .

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
After obtaining your oxygen setup, please post pics as it could be used as an EMS specific meme.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

It do not demand any kind of return on this "investment" of 60 dollars, I pay more than that for lunch sometimes..
And many more authorities are starting to believe that oxygen administration does have harmful side effects.

Might I suggest you read through this http://clinicalcenter.nih.gov/ccmd/cctrcs/pdf_docs/Medicinal Gas Therapy/01-Oxygen Therapy.pdf

While it does say that there are no absolute contraindications to oxygen administration (there is one that was discussed in another thread), it goes on to point out some of the harmful effects of administering O2.

Here are some more references to read about the negative effects of O2.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_therapy#Negative_effects
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1007238

OP
OP
M

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
I hope someday you can look back on this thread and realize how ridiculous you sound . I am not tryi to insult you but rather help you( along with everyone else)

I hope you don't get sued or arrested for playing a Ricky rescue someday.

Oh and enjoy your expensive lunches .

I respect your right to free speech, as this is America, ( at least where I am typing)

however I respectfully disagree, I have been doing first aid for over 25 years, with time in military and law enforcement and most recently EMS.

Why would I ever change my mind about having O2 at home?

My original question was just to see if anyone have a filling spot they like to use. I didn't ask if I can have you all's permission, but many took the question that way regardless.

but what can I say ? I find that there are a lot of different types of people in EMS, and very few are like me. Its a career thing I suppose. *shrug*

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't believe my fellow members are giving/denying permission. It appears they are looking out for the best interests of any potential patient you may encounter.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
popcorn.gif

OP
OP
M

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
And many more authorities are starting to believe that oxygen administration does have harmful side effects.

Might I suggest you read through this http://clinicalcenter.nih.gov/ccmd/cctrcs/pdf_docs/Medicinal Gas Therapy/01-Oxygen Therapy.pdf

While it does say that there are no absolute contraindications to oxygen administration (there is one that was discussed in another thread), it goes on to point out some of the harmful effects of administering O2.

Here are some more references to read about the negative effects of O2.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_therapy#Negative_effects
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1007238

As it is...

Im going with the mainstream. no matter what you encounter in life, there is going to be a little bit of controversy. most recently I encountered the Sea Salt person who claims regular salt is "all chemical" and sea salt is "natural" and yada. there was the diet soda makes you fat person and yada...

If the day comes, that O2 becomes contraindicated for first aid use, that's when I wont consider it's use.

Status
Not open for further replies.