Osama Bin Laden, is Osama ben better now

OP
OP
Tommerag

Tommerag

What day is it?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
He didn't deserve the hoopla. In fact, how much better if suddenly his compound suddenly went dark, then no one was heard from ever again? THAT's counterterrorism.
Burial at sea: right on, next best.

al-Qaeda's strength has been it's looseness of central authority, binh Laden's status probably has largely been one of emeritus for many members. Watch for the repercussions.

I think the value of his death is that it demonstrates leaders are personally in danger of being targeted and they will be sought relentlessly.

It is very different to command troops from afar than to be the primary target.

Certainly there will always be an idealist to step into a leadership role, but it is much less attractive when faced with the fact they are not trying to kill "us" but "me."

There is always benefit in killing highly established leaders. Not only do you deprive the enemy of experience there is also the chance that they will not be able to replace exceptionally capable people.

The newer less capable and less experienced are more likely to make mistakes and have the international connections and high level support.

It doesn't stop attacks, it just makes them less grand.

It's better to lose a handful at a time than thousands.

The US by virtue of its isolation, zenophobia, and ethnocentrism has in the past been largely immune to small scale terrorism on its shores. I think like other nations have discovered, some level will always exist now and the days of care free low risk have been over for some time. As always, people have trouble adjusting to change.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I think it's great that people were filmed celebrating in the streets and partying similar to we saw overseas when the Towers went down.

Apparently this is supposed to strain our relations with Pakistan. My understanding is that we didn't ask permission, that we just went in did the job. I guess they were pissed that they didn't get the chance to warn him, or that it looks very suspicious at the least that they were harboring him. That was quite a case of hubris to hide basically in plain sight in an obscenely huge mansion in an affluent suburb populated by retired military officials.

This show that we'll eventually catch up with you, that no one is safe from us. It would have been tragic if he died from natural causes. Then he would have won, and served as an encouragement to others.

He's lucky that they didn't baptize him and affix a cross to him before they dropped him in the water.

This morning I was listening to the radio in my car, and they were saying that some high ranking terrorist was saying that they'll seek revenge for Osama's death (this further confirms that he was killed). I thought his execution was payback for the Towers. Get over it.

I'm curious how many of our troops can now come home in the coming months?

Last edited by a moderator:

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I'm curious how many of our troops can now come home in the coming months?

This is what I'm afraid of. The US population looks for easily measurable metrics to say "we've won". This is not the approach our enemy takes, I assure you.

Bin Laden's death will only serve to embolden certain elements. The next year or two will require increased vigilance, not lowered.

reaper

Working Bum
We will see even more attacks on our troops and our country. This is just the beginning. The public needs to stop looking ignorant by making remarks of a religion they know nothing about.

Last edited by a moderator:

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
We'll never see the end of terrorism. This is my generation's Vietnam, except this will last much longer.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
228547_1922054083443_1004802313_32276366_5401275_n.jpg

firecoins

IFT Puppet
We'll never see the end of terrorism. This is my generation's Vietnam, except this will last much longer.

I don't think Vietnam is a good example. I don't think there is a good example.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
For those of you challenging the "sea burial", it makes total sense.

No non-Muslim nation would want the body on their soil.

If it is buried in any Muslim country it will become a shrine.

It is best to dispose of the body at sea, where no markers can ever be built, no shrine, no pilgrimage site, whatever....

Now do I think we really dumped it at sea....no, but officially it is the best thing to do.
I see exactly what your saying. Makes perfect sense.