Organ Donation?

Are you an Organ Donor?

• Total voters

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Thanks that was great, I have a lot to think about. I may be somewhat young still, but you never know

If you decide to do it, don't let your age stop you--unless you're legally too young in your jurisdiction, of course. I'm still very young myself and have no reason to think I'll be dying soon, but I'm going ahead with the paperwork anyways.

csly27

Forum Lieutenant
lol I dont think too many people wake and think today is the day I am gonna die. unless they plan on doing it to them selfs. I know I dont think about it too much. I think about it but not to the point of obsession. I just want to make sure that I know all of my options so my family does not have to worry about it or fight over it. I think it is a good idea to give your self over for donation mabey it will be of help to someone, as long as I am turned over when I am done for cremation. lots to think about

Dwindlin

Forum Captain
lol I dont think too many people wake and think today is the day I am gonna die. unless they plan on doing it to them selfs. I know I dont think about it too much. I think about it but not to the point of obsession. I just want to make sure that I know all of my options so my family does not have to worry about it or fight over it. I think it is a good idea to give your self over for donation mabey it will be of help to someone, as long as I am turned over when I am done for cremation. lots to think about

Check into this carefully, often times this is not an option. Speaking from experience cadavers are destroyed. Not like an autopsy. Not uncommon for limbs/head to be dysarticulated, pelvis hemisected, etc. "Waste" portions (skin, fat, fascia, etc) are not kept separated. And occasionally if a particular portion is dissected well will not be destroyed but kept for years. Cremation is done by the program not family, and I do not believe you get actual remains back.

Most times you cannot dictate what they use your remains for, you can simply will it to a donation program. They decide whether you'll go to research, cadaver lab, or advanced surgical training.

This was info given to us by one of the largest Anatomical gift foundations in the US. So, as I said, look into it very carefully.

OP
OP
B

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Check into this carefully, often times this is not an option. Speaking from experience cadavers are destroyed. Not like an autopsy. Not uncommon for limbs/head to be dysarticulated, pelvis hemisected, etc. "Waste" portions (skin, fat, fascia, etc) are not kept separated. And occasionally if a particular portion is dissected well will not be destroyed but kept for years. Cremation is done by the program not family, and I do not believe you get actual remains back.

Most times you cannot dictate what they use your remains for, you can simply will it to a donation program. They decide whether you'll go to research, cadaver lab, or advanced surgical training.

This was info given to us by one of the largest Anatomical gift foundations in the US. So, as I said, look into it very carefully.

I would double check your state. My friend says the cadavers in her lab went back to their families after they were done to do with the bodies what they would. But I'm glad you mentioned this, I'm going to double check. They wont be getting my body if I'm not going to get the burial I want.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Definitely check on that. Some places cremate whatever's left when they finish and turn that over to the family--but that may only be a few parts. Some never give anything back. Personally, I don't really mind either way, but I plan on asking my family what they'd prefer before I finalize anything.

To be honest, I think mine won't want anything back... it seems like getting the remains back in a few years would just stir up old grief.

Last edited by a moderator:

RescueYou

Forum Lieutenant
Eh...IDK yet. I'm thinking I may get it put on my license next time I have reason to go down to the DMV and just sign the papers. I ahve no use for them, but then again, I kinda wanted to be buried whole...with everything still inside me...
We'll see :)

imhumanoid

Forum Crew Member
From a purely utilitarian point of view organ donation is an enormous waste of time and money. Recipients usually (not always, but usually) never return to any kind of meaningful employment and thus represent nothing more than a huge burden on society due to the immense cost involved in the procedure and the equally immense cost of the life-long medication regimen they must follow.

Just wow. <_<

I have had 2 liver transplants, both when I was under a year old.
I am now 15 and still going strong. I plan to become a paramedic when I am old enough to start my training.
MOST recipients usually lead a great meaningful life.
My only mess up was about 2 months ago, I fainted in a park, and was transported in an ambulance. THATS ALL.
I have done great for having 2 transplants, and so do most people.

I will not be a burden, I guarantee it. Nor will many other people.
They are grateful for the second chance they get, stay strong and live a full life. ^_^

IMO, once they see Organ Donor, they give up too soon. To each their own.

Seriously, that is one of the biggest myths in organ donation.
I wish there was more opportunity out there for education on organ donation.
;)

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Just wow. <_<

I have had 2 liver transplants, both when I was under a year old.
I am now 15 and still going strong. I plan to become a paramedic when I am old enough to start my training.
MOST recipients usually lead a great meaningful life.
My only mess up was about 2 months ago, I fainted in a park, and was transported in an ambulance. THATS ALL.
I have done great for having 2 transplants, and so do most people.

I will not be a burden, I guarantee it. Nor will many other people.
They are grateful for the second chance they get, stay strong and live a full life. ^_^

Seriously, that is one of the biggest myths in organ donation.
I wish there was more opportunity out there for education on organ donation.
;)

I don't know how much you know about EMS providers but most have never been past the ED. As well, there are few to no A&P or other science prerequisites for EMS providers as there are for nursing and other healthcare professions. Thus, many are only speaking from hearsay and sci-fi TV shows.

I seriously doubt if you are going to change any attitudes here because some will not bother to research what they do not know. The education thing is a little scary for many in EMS.

Glad to hear you are doing well.

May I ask if you got a liver from another child or if it was from an adult?

imhumanoid

Forum Crew Member
May I ask if you got a liver from another child or if it was from an adult?

My first liver transplant at 3 months old was from a baby who died of "Sudden Infant Death".
Went into failure again at 9 months old and my second liver received was from a 2yo male who died in an MVA.

Griff

Forum Crew Member
From a purely utilitarian point of view organ donation is an enormous waste of time and money. Recipients usually (not always, but usually) never return to any kind of meaningful employment and thus represent nothing more than a huge burden on society due to the immense cost involved in the procedure and the equally immense cost of the life-long medication regimen they must follow. We all bear that cost through insurance premiums or taxation, and the recipient contributes nothing to society on the whole.

Would I want one of my family members to recieve an organ should they need it? Of course! Just saying is all...

I'll happily donate my cadaver so the next generation can learn. And admire my tattoos.

I bet you're a lot of fun at parties. :p

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
lego.png

Sasha

Forum Chief
Are you a donor? I was curious to see the numbers for donors in EMS.

Yes, I'm an organ donor. I think organ donation is the simplest act of kindness you can do for your fellow human beings.

When I die, I wont need my organs anymore.

I don't get why people DON'T donate organs.. It's not as if you're going to die, go to heaven (if you believe in that stuff) and God's going to go "wtf? didnt I send you down there with a liver, heart and kidneys? where the heck are they!?"

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
It's not as if you're going to die, go to heaven (if you believe in that stuff) and God's going to go "wtf? didnt I send you down there with a liver, heart and kidneys? where the heck are they!?"

Because a lot of us are selfish :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:s who can't see past the ends of our noses. Also a lot of us don't believe in a higher power so that argument isn't valid (and in some cases it actually could be offensive). Even in most of the religions that require burial of an "intact" body (the ones that object to autopsies and such), organ donation is the one exception to the rule since it's considered to be a last gesture of kindness and self-sacrifice to your fellow man.

BTW, I'm an organ donor and actually started a chapter of a group to encourage other students on the campus of the university I attended to become donors. I figure that I don't need them and if it benefits someone else, it's not going to inconvenience me any so why not do it? Just so long as it doesn't go to a homeless guy begging for a kidney on the side of the road (sorry Sasha....couldn't resist).

Sasha

Forum Chief
Also a lot of us don't believe in a higher power so that argument isn't valid (and in some cases it actually could be offensive).

I'm well aware, as I'm an atheist. That was just an argument I've presented to a friend of mine before who happened to be quite religious and it brought her around to organ donation. It's a very casual and light argument without calling people outright selfish, as you have.

Just so long as it doesn't go to a homeless guy begging for a kidney on the side of the road (sorry Sasha....couldn't resist).

I'm wondering when you'll finally get tired of that? It was cute maybe the first time but now it's gotten old. We get it, you don't like homeless people, you can let it go.

I feel particularly bad for those on the organ donation lists. It must be frustrating and scary to be waiting for an organ without knowing if you'll ever get one.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm well aware, as I'm an atheist.

Really? You conduct yourself more like one of my wife's Jesus freak friends than most of the dedicated atheists I've crossed paths with. I'm pleasantly surprised to learn this about you.

I'm wondering when you'll finally get tired of that? It was cute maybe the first time but now it's gotten old. We get it, you don't like homeless people, you can let it go.

Sorry. I was just trying to make you chuckle a little. BTW, it's not just homeless people I don't like. I just assume people are tax-sucking, immoral douches until proven otherwise. It's a nice way to avoid disappointment.

I feel particularly bad for those on the organ donation lists. It must be frustrating and scary to be waiting for an organ without knowing if you'll ever get one.

Likewise.

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
I bet you're a lot of fun at parties. :p

I'm a veritable laugh riot! :p

It's a bit sad thought that one can't raise interesting questions on how we approach care in certain cirumstances without the automatic response being personal attack, or a scintillating gem of debate such as "Um..wow"

It is a very interesting and very vaild question of how and where we spend out limited healthcare dollar, but areas such as transplantation or geriatric care for example seem to be off limits for some reason, despite the enormous cost associated. For example, it is estimated (depending on who you read) that up to 70% of the health care dollar is spent on people in their last year of life, which somewhat begs the question of whether that money could be better spent elsewhere.

Organ donation however is not so clear cut. Kidney transplantation for example seems to bring a net benefit of around $90k a year; however figures for other types of transplantation are not so clear, and changing demographics will impact on how and where this money is spent.

Ultimately though, I think that what is the most concerning is not the lack of rational debate that can be enterered into, but the utter lack of reading comprehension that many people seem to exhibit. To recap my first post:

"From a purely utiliatarian point of view" Note that this does not necessarily meant that this is the viewpoint that I espouse, merely one that may be debated. This would perhaps be reinforced by my other lines such as

"Would I want one of my family members to recieve an organ should they need it? Of course! Just saying is all...

I'll happily donate my cadaver so the next generation can learn. And admire my tattoos.

Perhaps some remedial reading classes could be paid for by some companies for CE credits :p

firecoins

IFT Puppet

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
It's a bit sad thought that one can't raise interesting questions on how we approach care in certain cirumstances without the automatic response being personal attack, or a scintillating gem of debate such as "Um..wow"

It's all about how you raise those questions... and being a jerk elsewhere is definitely going to change how other people react to anything you say in the future. ;)

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
"From a purely utiliatarian point of view" Note that this does not necessarily meant that this is the viewpoint that I espouse, merely one that may be debated. This would perhaps be reinforced by my other lines such as

The reason we took you to task for it (or rather VentMedic did...and there are few people- other than my superiors- I fear having prove me wrong than her...it's like having a Rottweiler grab you by the scrotum) was that you based that assessment off of flawed notions that are patently false.