Officer goes hands on on medic on scene.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Let's be honest here: if the whole incident hadn't been recorded by a bystander, not only would this not be news, but it would probably have been swept under the rug.

Lets also reverse the roles: any time a person puts there hands on a cop, there is a very high probability they are going to end up in cuffs. If the medic had put his hands round the cops neck, how do you think it would have ended? If the cop said "I'm going to arrest this guy", and the medic pushes him aside and pins him against the car by grabbing his neck, and says "no, I need to treat him, he is freaking out" what would happen?

I'm curious why the patient, who was being restrained by several fire and EMS personnel, needed to be tazed by the cop. I think I would be pretty pissed if i was restraining a patient and the cop gave him a surprise tazing.

I wonder what the outcome of the investigation will reveal, and if there will be any public statement about who was wrong, and if there will be any consequences for their actions.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I think a really important thing to remember is, with the prevalence of homegrown videographers, the chances of anything of this sort being swept under the rug are rapidly vanishing.

A fact that ALL public safety people need to realize, and really take to heart, is that EVERYONE has a camera and there is no longer any reasonable expectation of privacy when performing our duties in a public place.

If you perform your job with the expectation that you are always being recorded, cases of excessive force will serve to weed out those who can't control their emotions in situations of stress. And that's a good thing.

DrParasite

I wonder what the outcome of the investigation will reveal, and if there will be any public statement about who was wrong, and if there will be any consequences for their actions.
Hmmm, I can think of many things that went wrong......

"PORTSMOUTH, Ohio — After a confrontation between a police officer and a paramedic went viral last week, officials concluded that neither responder committed any wrongdoing. "

https://www.ems1.com/investigation/...c-confrontation-a-result-of-miscommunication/

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Many things went wrong but at least now it's clear the officer didn't just freak out for the sake of bullying a paramedic.

DrParasite

Apparently that was just what the police official said.

http://www.wsaz.com/content/news/Vi...er-being-aggressive-with-medic-412231663.html

I'd be curious to know what the paramedic who was pinned against the car thought of the cop's actions.

My other questions is, who is in charge of the patient? is it the EMS Captain who called for the intoxicated patient to be tazed, or the paramedic that was trying to treat him? It looks like the paramedic was advocating for his patient, and trying to prevent further injury.

The other issue is the cops should have been doing a better job of securing the scene. that is their primary job, to prevent the crowd from interfering. After watching the entire video, it's clear they didn't do this job.

While I don't disagree that there was a severe breakdown in communication at this scene, I do think that this is a classic scenario of "because a cop did it, it's ok." if the roles were reversed, and the paramedic did that to the cop, there would be charges filed and the paramedic would end up in handcuffs, and out of a job.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm in total agreement with DrP. This whole thing looks like a CF. The only one that doesn't sound like his head was up his *** was the medic that got pinned. He was advocating for his pt and the cop overreacted. It can be argued that the cop didn't know who was grabbing his arm at first and he was protecting himself in a bad situation (which wouldn't have been bad if he was doing his job). But when he pins the medic against a car, then walks him across the street and pins him against the cruiser, that went too far (about 4:30 mark).

https://www.ems1.com/investigation/...mpaign=EMS1Member&cub_id=usr_eLgyfXkuvT4OqUs6

As for the EMS chief that called for the pt to be tazed, he should have his card pulled. You have a combative, head injured pt, learn to use less invasive forms of restraint. Primum non nocere.

EDIT: It looks like I posted the same video that was already posted.