Off duty emt basic

iowaemt

Forum Ride Along
So I wanna build a personal BLS bag to keep in my vehicle. I am unsure what all I am able to do while off duty. Am I able to all my abilities within my scope of practice or am I limited. Figured I better find out before I go out and buy equipment I cant use. By the way, I am an Iowa EMT Basic. Thanks guys.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
A cell phone is all you need. With the new CPR guidelines coming out it isn't even worth it to have a pocket mask.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Your limited. Cell phone, gloves, cpr mask...once the guidelines are out you won't need the mask, but they aren't out yet.

Don't go droppin OPAs or NPAs on people while your off duty, or administering any sort of drug.

JPINFV

Gadfly
My jump bag in my POV is basically a glorified First Aid kit.

To be fair, the jump bag in a BLS ambulance is essentially a glorified first aid kit.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
So I wanna build a personal BLS bag to keep in my vehicle. I am unsure what all I am able to do while off duty. Am I able to all my abilities within my scope of practice or am I limited. Figured I better find out before I go out and buy equipment I cant use. By the way, I am an Iowa EMT Basic. Thanks guys.

With all due respect, if you don't know, perhaps a better place for reference would be your state regulatory agency instead of asking anonymous people online who may or may not give you sound advice.

Are you affiliated with an agency that necessitates your efforts when off duty? If so, then they should supply your needs. If not, then you don't need a bag stocked, go get a commercially stocked first aid kit instead along with a good cell phone.

EMS/LEO505

Forum Lieutenant
Pack bandaides....Once you have that all you gotta do is kiss the owie and it gets all better..... even for code 1's......lol

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Just a cell phone would be your best bet. No point in stopping.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Pack bandaides....Once you have that all you gotta do is kiss the owie and it gets all better..... even for code 1's......lol

Bandaids, cold packs and those little no-itch wipes.

Those are what I stock and restock in my personal first aid kit that lives in the car. I also keep benadryl and claritin, tylenol and motrin in there, but it's for personal use, not random stranger use, so I don't really worry about scope of practice issues. If I use the bag, I'm acting as a friend would, not as a medic. If someone has a headache, I offer a tylenol. It's not about practicing EMS, just being prepared.

TacoMEDIC

Forum Crew Member
Honestly, You'll probably be good with some gloves, 4x4s, some sterile saline, random bandages, and a CPR mask. Dont get carried away with O2, splints, C-spine, etc. Like it was said above, a basic 1st aid kit should suffice.

18G

Paramedic
I've been in that position before where I responded to calls POV when my station was dispatched. It wasn't uncommon for the ambulance to respond single provider and I meet them on-scene for staffing. I carried a little of everything... O2, airways, BVM, bandages, etc, etc... essentially what was in the ambulance bag was in mine.

That was many, many years ago. That station has since gone 24/7 paid so no need for that kind up setup anymore. Doesn't hurt to have a first aid kit in your vehicle though.

Simusid

Forum Captain
I'm actually embarrassed about my bag now. It's whacker overkill and I'm going to donate it to our EMA department because they don't have one on their truck and they should have a good stock of supplies.

firecoins

IFT Puppet

I carry a Jack o Lanter, a wrench, a Rider Waite Tarot deck and duct tape. Its all you need. I am saving up for a plunger right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I just have some bandaids, Neosporin, gloves, and other random first aid items in my cars, no need to have a full jump bag.

Firecoins, why is the sign on your wrestling room using "your" instead of "you're" it makes me sad :(

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I stopped carrying a bag years and years ago. I have a steth in my backpack, but that's for school. I used to carry gloves and a CPR mask on my keychain, but no longer.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I stopped carrying a bag years and years ago. I have a steth in my backpack, but that's for school. I used to carry gloves and a CPR mask on my keychain, but no longer.

well I don't even carry a keychain anymore.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
this.

just call 911.

well I don't even carry a keychain anymore.

Oh man I got so many keys, I don't even know what to do. I got my apartment, the building key, car keys, the neighbors who I regularly use their washing machine, the key to my kryptonite bike lock and others that I don't remember cause they are so rusted and I can't tell what they ever went to.

The last bit about the rusted is a joke :lol: tho the rest is true.

The subject of this thread needs to be changed to - WHAT DO YOU CARRY ON YOUR KEYCHAIN?!

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant

lol ive got my scope in my schoolbag along w/ the mask & gloves in a little bag/keyring thing.

its only there if i MUST used say my teacher or a friend passes out and needs it..but as far as superhero status...ill just dial