Off duty emt basic

EMTzimp

Forum Probie
I got my BLS kit from http://www.mobil-medic.com/

I just got it in case i ever came across a life or death situation which probably wont ever happen but its there if i needed it.

mojo3120

Forum Ride Along
I understand all those who have paid services...but what about those who ONLY have volunteer services and respond from home..or while out and about..

I would like to hear what my fellow volunteers say..Personally I carry almost a mirror image of our BLS bag...

At my station, each first responder is issued a full BLS bag
(exactly like the bags on our trucks) and is expected to keep it in their POV. We restock whatever we use on scene off the ambulance once EMS arrives.

If your department expects you to respond POV, shouldn't they provide you with all the equipment you'd need?

brentoli

Forum Crew Member
I got my BLS kit from http://www.mobil-medic.com/

I just got it in case i ever came across a life or death situation which probably wont ever happen but its there if i needed it.

They make some good kits. I have one from them as well.

I carry one mainly for myself and my family. Also if I am anywhere where people "know" my experience and something is needed.

I would be very-extremely hesitant to stop at a scene I wander up on, too much to risk. My family is important to me and theres too much at stake. At least if I get hurt on the clock they have cash coming in to help cover the loss. Out on my own they got nothing.

CodyHolt83

Forum Lieutenant
Call me crazy, and it probably has alot to do with the fact that I'm a new EMT-B, but I want a jump kit for my truck also. I don't want anything fancy, just something that I will have JUST-IN-CASE I do come across something. I think it probably has more to do with just the pride in finally going through school and getting fire/ems certified while working full-time in a 911 center. lol;)

supergirl534

Forum Probie
even though there are new cpr guidlines doesnt mean that there is nothing that he can carry with them, i was out at lunch and had to deliver a baby in the feild.... if there is any equiptment that you should always carry in your person vehicle its gloves... LOTS OF GLOVES

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
even though there are new cpr guidlines doesnt mean that there is nothing that he can carry with them, i was out at lunch and had to deliver a baby in the feild.... if there is any equiptment that you should always carry in your person vehicle its gloves... LOTS OF GLOVES

Awesome...

Supply list:
1. Gloves (lots of gloves)
2. ...
3. ...

bigmoosewi

Forum Probie
In Wisconsin if you are not on duty then you are only allowed to practice at a EMR level. I agree that you should check with your local and state laws before you waste your money on stuff or worse, get yourself in trouble.

ClarkKent

Forum Lieutenant

zmedic

Forum Captain
I'd have the sort of stuff that you'd want handy if you or a family member got hurt. So a couple a 4x4s, some kerlex, maybe triangle bandage to sling an arm while you are driving a friend to the hospital etc. Not much else beyond that.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Are we including Detroit and Camden? :unsure:
D**n it. Beat me to it.

I agree that you should check with your local and state laws before you waste your money on stuff or worse, get yourself in trouble.

Yeah, only two or three states require that you do anything off duty. Personally I just keep right on moving unless it is a very extreme circumstance and I feel like getting involved.

For a good crash course in my ethics (feel free to PM me with your thoughts on what a horrible human being I am, what a blight on the face of EMS I am, etc) : http://emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=17911 Post #19 has a handy little flowchart:
usafmedic45 said:
Of course, you need to keep in mind that my decision tree for offering assistance while off duty pretty much consists of:
1-Is the victim a kid or an animal? Yes: Help them if it can be done safely No: Go to question 2
2-Do I know the person? Yes: Go to question 4 No: Go to question 3
3- Am I stuck in the situation/do other bystanders know that I'm medically trained? Yes- Help them if it can be done safely No- Go to question 4
4-Do I like the person? Yes: Help them if it can be done safely No: Do not get involved even if it means standing idly by; thank God for no statuatory requirement to render care

Last edited by a moderator:

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
Call me crazy, and it probably has alot to do with the fact that I'm a new EMT-B, but I want a jump kit for my truck also. I don't want anything fancy, just something that I will have JUST-IN-CASE I do come across something. I think it probably has more to do with just the pride in finally going through school and getting fire/ems certified while working full-time in a 911 center. lol;)

Gloves & a cell phone. Maybe a pocket mask if ur feeling frisky ;)

^_*

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
I've posted similar in other threads but I'm so bloody bored right now. I had some pain killers the dentist gave me and I sure hope I'm not posting the most embarrassing c**p ever :blush:...

The kit in your car shouldn't be a BLS bag or an EMS bag or whatever. It should be a first aid kit. For stuff that you don't need an ambulance for. If you need something more, then you need an ambulance.

On me:
-Alcohol swaps: Very handy for that moment when you realize there is no soap in the disgusting public toilet you just used. I once fixed a blackberry with one. They're pretty much the bee's knees. I suppose if I was pushed I could use it to clean a cut or something, but it'd hurt like hell, so pass.

My car came with a first aid kit that I made some modifications too.
- Bandaids.
- Saline.
- Chux: stop bleeding, dry a wound after flushing and more likely: wiping your bum after an emergency roadside stop.
- Some bandages and c**p that came with it that I'll never use.
- IMPORTANT: acetaminophen/codeine and some phenergan. Mostly for hangovers. Or that headache/nausea that just won't p**s off on that big day of shoe shopping or what ever floats your boat.
- Jelly beans (my grandmother is diabetic and I drive her around the place sometimes).

Seriously mate, you will be so embarrassed if you ever come across an accident and an ambulance turns up to find you have collared the person or something equally ridiculous like that. Leave it at work mate.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
acetaminophen/codeine and some phenergan

Is that stuff OTC down in Australia?

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Is that stuff OTC down in Australia?

Acetaminophen/codeine: 500/8 & 500/15 are. 500/30 are prescription only.

Phenergan 10 & 25s - Gotta ask a pharmacist. Bloody great stuff. Its damn good when you're feeling crook and need a good sleep and relief from nausea.

EDIT: You can get metaclopramide 10 x 10mg tabs if you know the right problems to have apparently. Not interested in maxolon though.

BigDogg795

Forum Ride Along
I've posted similar in other threads but I'm so bloody bored right now. I had some pain killers the dentist gave me and I sure hope I'm not posting the most embarrassing c**p ever :blush:...

The kit in your car shouldn't be a BLS bag or an EMS bag or whatever. It should be a first aid kit. For stuff that you don't need an ambulance for. If you need something more, then you need an ambulance.

On me:
-Alcohol swaps: Very handy for that moment when you realize there is no soap in the disgusting public toilet you just used. I once fixed a blackberry with one. They're pretty much the bee's knees. I suppose if I was pushed I could use it to clean a cut or something, but it'd hurt like hell, so pass.

My car came with a first aid kit that I made some modifications too.
- Bandaids.
- Saline.
- Chux: stop bleeding, dry a wound after flushing and more likely: wiping your bum after an emergency roadside stop.
- Some bandages and c**p that came with it that I'll never use.
- IMPORTANT: acetaminophen/codeine and some phenergan. Mostly for hangovers. Or that headache/nausea that just won't p**s off on that big day of shoe shopping or what ever floats your boat.
- Jelly beans (my grandmother is diabetic and I drive her around the place sometimes).

Seriously mate, you will be so embarrassed if you ever come across an accident and an ambulance turns up to find you have collared the person or something equally ridiculous like that. Leave it at work mate.

Sorry man, I completely misinterpreted that...though I'm finishing up my EMT course, I still have a firm foot in Law Enforcement and Security: I was basically wondering why an EMT would arrest someone...

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry man, I completely misinterpreted that...though I'm finishing up my EMT course, I still have a firm foot in Law Enforcement and Security: I was basically wondering why an EMT would arrest someone...
If they'd make acetaminophen/codeine OTC here, you'd see ER visits drop off significantly. Of course, the overdose death rate might spike but I don't see that as a huge problem. Natural selection at work.

BigDogg795

Forum Ride Along
If they'd make acetaminophen/codeine OTC here, you'd see ER visits drop off significantly. Of course, the overdose death rate might spike but I don't see that as a huge problem. Natural selection at work.

ER visits? I'm fairly sure half the walk-in clinics would close down for lack of business!

And besides, the gene pool needs a good shock every so often anyway...:unsure:

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
They're working on reductions. The 500/30s were OTC but went prescription a while back. Its increasingly difficult to convince pharmacists to give you 500/15s and the 500/8 have been rescheduled to reduced the amount available at one time. I hate feeling like a criminal when buying analgesics.

We do have a significant problem with prescription opiate ODs. Some sources have reported that they have overtaken heroin ODs. Its quite sad because a lot of people who are overdosing are doing so without realizing what the doctor is prescribing. Heroin addicts make an informed choice. What it seems is happening though is that Granny Hip Pain doesn't realise that her doctor's pain pills are Oxycodone 20s and its a poor idea to have a chandy or 5 on top. Still that's the prescription DDs, so different ball game.

The most recent addition to chemists are Panadol Extra. Paracetamol with enough caffeine to kill a horse. Not sure I approve of caffeine being marked as an "extra strength" analgesic.

NREMTroe

Forum Crew Member
The topic kinda changed from page to page, but im just going to post what I was thinking a couple of pages ago.. What is your take on this? I don't know about where you guys are at, but here in AR i have always been told, that if you are a HCP, and do not stop at an accident and try to provide some kind of help before responders get there, you can get into some serious trouble. I'm not too sure as to if this is true or not, but thats just what I have been told by a handful of people.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I couldn't agree more but yeah, there's a big problem with drug seeking in most emergency rooms.