Off duty emt basic

JPINFV

Gadfly
The topic kinda changed from page to page, but im just going to post what I was thinking a couple of pages ago.. What is your take on this? I don't know about where you guys are at, but here in AR i have always been told, that if you are a HCP, and do not stop at an accident and try to provide some kind of help before responders get there, you can get into some serious trouble. I'm not too sure as to if this is true or not, but thats just what I have been told by a handful of people.

...and the big question regarding these supposed provisions is how in God's name will people know that you're a health care provider?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Paracetamol with enough caffeine to kill a horse. Not sure I approve of caffeine being marked as an "extra strength" analgesic.

Not a migraine sufferer, eh? Besides, 65 mg of caffeine isn't a lot. It's equivalent to about two cans of Coke. If that's enough to "kill a horse" you all have some wussy horses down there. ;) Here that's an over the counter concoction called Excedrin and it's a primary means of headache treatment in this house. Works beautifully. The only thing really limiting the number of times you can repeat the dose is the acetaminophen.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Not a migraine sufferer, eh? Besides, 65 mg of caffeine isn't a lot. It's equivalent to about two cans of Coke. If that's enough to "kill a horse" you all have some wussy horses down there. ;) Here that's an over the counter concoction called Excedrin and it's a primary means of headache treatment in this house. Works beautifully. The only thing really limiting the number of times you can repeat the dose is the acetaminophen.

Well its 65mg per 500mg tablet of paracetamol, so its ganna be 130mg. So more like 4 cans of coke at once. Which of course people take with 2 coffees and a redbull because precisely nobody seems to realize that extra has caffeine in it.

I don't doubt it works. I've always been partial to chasing paracetamol with coffee/energy drinks the morning after (as are most people), I just figured it wasn't something to be legitimized :p

I don't necessarily disprove of it as a product, but its clearly being marketed as a new extra strength wonder analgesic here, never with a mention of the fact it contains caffeine. Of course its written on the box, but if people are anything, they are idiots.

Probably the sticking point is that its illegal to advertise prescription medications here, and ads for OTC stuff are heavily regulated and as far as I know have to be clear about whats in them, so we're probably a little more sensitive about drug advertising schemes.

NREMTroe

Forum Crew Member
...and the big question regarding these supposed provisions is how in God's name will people know that you're a health care provider?

You know.. I haven't actually ever thought about that lol, but there are some that decide that wanna put the star of life all over their vehicle.. and, ride around with EMS tags on their car.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Probably the sticking point is that its illegal to advertise prescription medications here

God I wish that was the case here. Meds would probably be much cheaper and docs and the rest of us wouldn't have to put up with patients (outside of drug seekers) asking for the latest thing they saw on TV.

Well its 65mg per 500mg tablet of paracetamol, so its ganna be 130mg. So more like 4 cans of coke at once. Which of course people take with 2 coffees and a redbull because precisely nobody seems to realize that extra has caffeine in it.

You do realize you're talking to someone who used to consume two Red Bulls, a 2-liter of Coke and several cups of tea (not to mention Excedrin) during the course of a 12-hour shift on a very regular basis?

Of course, the issue of caffeine toxicity gave rise to Rules #13 and #14 of EMS in my book.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
God I wish that was the case here. Meds would probably be much cheaper and docs and the rest of us wouldn't have to put up with patients (outside of drug seekers) asking for the latest thing they saw on TV.

You do realize you're talking to someone who used to consume two Red Bulls, a 2-liter of Coke and several cups of tea (not to mention Excedrin) during the course of a 12-hour shift on a very regular basis?

Of course, the issue of caffeine toxicity gave rise to Rules #13 and #14 of EMS in my book.

Yeah its pretty cash. Although it does mean that nobody has any idea what they're taking or why. Its just "pills the doctor gave me for my heart/head/blood pressure/penis/prevent-a-baby". And you get American influenced drug culture which confuses things a tad. I got told to take a tylenol the other day by some kid who thought I was grumpy. Other than the fact I doubt it has little efficacy as an anxiolytic or sedative, we don't even have bloody 'tylenol' here. People who are on "Oh xanax or something for my nerves" are often on SSRIs. Etc, etc.

You're also speaking to a similarly depraved caffeine addict. I tried to give up caffeine for new years and was 3 litres deep in coke zero by the afternoon of the 2nd after a splitting head ache and wild mood swings :p I'm just saying, 130mg isn't insignificant if you don't know you've had it. "Gee my head sure does hurt. 3 Panadol Extras and these 4 Jagerbombs will help. Sure I'd like to double roll with you, as long as you buy me another 6 jack and diet cokes *giggle giggle* *date rape* *SVT*". If they wanted to be stand up guys, like me, they'd mention it had caffeine in it a little more explicitly.

Last edited by a moderator:

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
If they wanted to be stand up guys, like me, they'd mention it had caffeine in it a little more explicitly.

True...I see your point and don't disagree, but if Aussie teens are anything like the moronic breed we have over here pointing out that there's a legal stimulant in something is asking for a spike in the need for liver transplants.

EMSDude54343

Forum Lieutenant
i carry gloves a pocket mask , opa's , and something to help control bleeding, basically anything that will make a major diff before crews arrive. also check with your med control and see what your able to do in your area legally, i know where i live a law was passed that if off duty and we try to render aide, we are freed from liability for trying to assist, as long as we dont do something blatently negligent . hope this helps

bahnrokt

Forum Lieutenant
I carry gloves and basic 4x4s, tape, a SAM splint, band aids, etc. The few times I have stop at MVAs I try not to announce myself as an EMT, just "hey, how ya felling...you should stay seated until the EMTs get here".

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
ive sort of taken a different view recently on stopping at an accident scene...just yesterday a MA state trooper was injured by a drunk driver who rammed the back of his cruiser and pinned him between the car he had pulled over and his. Even with his warning lights on, he was still hit. Now how am I going to be any safer pulling over without any warning lights? So for me its not stopping on a busy highway, call 911...and I guess I might rethink it on an empty side road but I generally wouldn't stop unless there were extenuating circumstances

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
ive sort of taken a different view recently on stopping at an accident scene...just yesterday a MA state trooper was injured by a drunk driver who rammed the back of his cruiser and pinned him between the car he had pulled over and his. Even with his warning lights on, he was still hit. Now how am I going to be any safer pulling over without any warning lights? So for me its not stopping on a busy highway, call 911...and I guess I might rethink it on an empty side road but I generally wouldn't stop unless there were extenuating circumstances

In CA unless there is an immediate hazard, troopers turn all lights shining to the rear off except the hazard lights at night time.

JPINFV

Gadfly
In CA unless there is an immediate hazard, troopers turn all lights shining to the rear off except the hazard lights at night time.

...and often the only forward facing lights that are on are the spot lights and the 'burning red light.'

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief

thats interesting... the MA troopers use the new super bright blue/almost purplish led light bars. Ive heard reports of them actually attracting sleepy people and drunk drivers to migrate into the breakdown lane instead of avoiding it

JPINFV

Gadfly
thats interesting... the MA troopers use the new super bright blue/almost purplish led light bars. Ive heard reports of them actually attracting sleepy people and drunk drivers to migrate into the breakdown lane instead of avoiding it

MA? Can I make a comment now about the stupidity of requiring police at every construction site?

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
MA? Can I make a comment now about the stupidity of requiring police at every construction site?

yeah that whole debacle....

As long as the police unions in Massachusetts exist there will be mandated police details

AtlantaEMT

Forum Crew Member
A cell phone is all you need. With the new CPR guidelines coming out it isn't even worth it to have a pocket mask.

There is a new smart-phone thingy that a doctor developed that can take an ECG and then send it to a doctor. If they add a defibulater on top of wikipedia, then we'll all be out of a job.

Cell phone is the best piece of equipment. Now if you plan on going camping or rafting with some buddies in the middle of bumblescrew Wyoming, then I could see taking a SAM splint and bandages. But still with that, a waterproof Army survival guide or Boy Scout manual would serve you better.