Off duty emt basic

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
I personally carry a full airway kit with OPAs, NPAs, oxygen, BVM, a fully stocked trauma back with tourniquets, and a custom drug kit contain pretty much every over the counter medicine available.

Not rly. I wouldnt worry about off duty stuff. Give first aid and call 911.

I personally choose not to get involved off duty unless its a life and death situation, and what are the chances of that happening anyway?

ttoude

Forum Crew Member
My personal policy is this. If everybody is up (consious) and talking (good airway) they don't need ems.

2. Human behaviour is simple and repetitive, if a woman is holding both hands to her head and screaming someone she knows/loves is hurt really bad so stop and help.

3. If someone is on the ground not moving, stop and help.

4. Cell phone, gloves and hands for direct pressure or compressions is all you need. Good samaritan may not cover the interventions in a off duty bag. ie if a fire Fighter or other emt may not agree with your care and report it.

5. Text yourself the names of the higher level care EMS you turned care Over to.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Brown carries his cellphone and a pair of gloves ... and is worried by all the Whacker E. Rescue types who roll around with half an ambulance in the back of thier vehicle ....

Hmm, speaking of which .....

*Brown slinks away before anybody notices the CT machine, blood gas results machine and thoracostomy kit in the back of his car :D

Saytuck99

Forum Crew Member
Long Island & Upstate NY

I understand all those who have paid services...but what about those who ONLY have volunteer services and respond from home..or while out and about..

I would like to hear what my fellow volunteers say..Personally I carry almost a mirror image of our BLS bag...

RunnerD1987

Forum Crew Member
I was just thinking of this today. Coming close to finishing my EMR class, hopefully will pass. The ambulance company I am taking the class gives a first responder bag to EMR's. Basically the bag has everything within a scope of practice a EMR can do in the state. Now if not on call probably would not have the bag ready. Anywho back to where I was going. Was thinking the exact same thing what to carry. I would not be out seeking calls just to be prepared if something did happen across my path. Basically look to carry equipment to protect myself, gloves/face mask/non-breather mask/sanitizer. Also euipment to provide patient assessment, CPR, and stop bleeding. So probably some bandage and dressings. Most important thing though a cell phone to call for additional support to provide additional support and to transport for even more help.

zombiemedic

Forum Ride Along
I just keep a pair of gloves in my car. There are more equipped people just a phone call away. I do keep a small bls bag at home for the family but that's it

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I got a box of gloves and my Hi-Viz on duty jacket?

OH yeah, I also have Dr. House in my glove box.

Wild_Weasel

Forum Crew Member
As a civilian contractor in Afghanistan I keep a fully stocked Combat Life Save Equipment Set handy.

Cheers,
W-W

JPINFV

Gadfly
As a civilian contractor in Afghanistan I keep a fully stocked Combat Life Save Equipment Set handy.

Cheers,
W-W
Can we accept that working in an active war zone is slightly different than being in the States?

Wild_Weasel

Forum Crew Member
Allow me to clarify, the point I was attempting to make was that you can choose to keep a personal jump kit that is appropriate to your leave of training and local protocols. At home in the United States I would not stray outside American Red Cross CPR and First Aid guidelines.

Cheers,
W-W

JPINFV

Gadfly
In the sense of needing a personal EMT jump bag for your car? Sure. However I'd wear body arm both in the Middle East as well as working primary 911 in most major cities.

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
Volunteer emt, local small town

I have a small jump kit in my jeep.
4x4's
cling bandage
several pairs of gloves in and around the bag/jeep.
cpr mask
abdominal bandages.

my goal is to stop bleeding and CPR. and stabilize the spine..

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
I keep a jump bag thats no more than a basic first aid kit. No need for airway kits etc, I do run With a volly company so we can go to any call, or if there is a second crew call. But where i live im near a school and sports complex, We get dispatched to both around 2 times a year so ill always be prepared, I might add some toher things to my kit, but only what i know ill use,

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
oops double post, having troublw with my browser lately

Last edited by a moderator:

Cohn

Forum Lieutenant
I usually bring myself.... Best tool I got.

Lucy212

Forum Crew Member
Iowa,

I agree with Flight-LP. Check your state protocols. Also in your EMT Class, they should have advised you on what you can or cannot do while off duty. It seems everyone here suggests a basic first-aid kit. I happen to think you might be working under the Good Samaritan Law if you are off duty, however the law varies from state to state. It seems like your heart is in the right place.

~ Lucy

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I understand all those who have paid services...but what about those who ONLY have volunteer services and respond from home..or while out and about..

I would like to hear what my fellow volunteers say..Personally I carry almost a mirror image of our BLS bag...

Being from upstate NY, I do not carry a BLS bag with me anymore. I have my scope, bp cuff, sheers and gloves for work in my car. Its all you need.
CPR is hands only at this point for civilian use.

If you want a small first aid kit with gauge, tape and a CPR mask...go for it.