O2 Wrench

Bosco836

Forum Lieutenant
Hi Everyone,

I was visiting another EMS service a few weeks ago and had the opportunity to look at some of their equipment. While looking at their portable D O2 tanks, I noticed that they had black plastic valve attachments (that I later found out snapped in place) to allow the medic's to turn on/off the O2 without looking for a traditional O2 key.

I inquired where they purchased these and who the manufacturer was, however, no one was able to provide me with any information. After countless hours of searching Google, I have yet to find anything that is representative of what I saw.

Does anyone have any idea where these things can be found or who makes them?

It seems like a simple invention that would hopefully help eliminate the perpetual problem of missing O2 keys.

Best regards,

JPINFV

Gadfly
I haven't heard of a plastic snap on wrench, but there's also this option for not needing an O2 wrench.

O2%20Regulator.jpg

OP
OP
B

Bosco836

Forum Lieutenant
I haven't heard of a plastic snap on wrench, but there's also this option for not needing an O2 wrench.

O2%20Regulator.jpg

Yes. I've seen those too, and have inquired about getting them from our O2 supplier; however, have been told that they currently don't offer them.

These plastic modules snap on, as opposed to those which are (apparently) held in place by a pin that passes through a hole in the part of the tank that would normally be turned by the key. Unfortunately, our tanks (by our current supplier) lack the hole required for these toggles.

JPINFV

Gadfly
If keeping tract of them is a huge problem, you could always just use zipties. One ziptie around the neck tight enough not to be able to pass the regulator, a second ziptie as a cord, and a third zip tie connecting the wrench to the cord.

Nerd13

Forum Lieutenant
If keeping tract of them is a huge problem, you could always just use zipties. One ziptie around the neck tight enough not to be able to pass the regulator, a second ziptie as a cord, and a third zip tie connecting the wrench to the cord.

We have chains that do the same thing. They break all the time though. How well do the zip ties hold up to abuse?

Sasha

Forum Chief
I hate O2 keys, half the tops of our O2 bottles are so warped they destroy the key. It's a b to get them open.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
There should be a law that all O2 bottles should have the handle knob thingy

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The fire department I used to work with had the metal key attached to the bottle like the pictures above. The ambulance company I work for does not have those. My knife has an O2 wrench in it (some people don't like it). I use it all the time. I have not seen a plastic wrench that stays attached to the valve.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I actually have an oxygen wrench on all of my keys (they work as something easy to grab), and I have a second I keep on me at work. The metal tabs on the tanks break off fairly easily/quickly, and wrenches, even if secured have an amazing ability to grow legs and disappear.
As a manager for one service, and peon for another, I haven't found any golden way of keeping track of them.

Good Luck!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
my service attaches an oxygen wrench to every set of vehicle keys; each crew has two sets of keys; each keyset uses a cable with all the keys (all the keys for the particular truck, equipment room key, name tag, and METAL oxygen wrench) instead of a traditional keyring. since we went to this system, we haven't had any problems with people borrowing wrenches, except when someone loses their keys.

my old volunteer agency took two round key rings, and went to home depot and bought a strong chain for like 12 cents. one ring around one end of the chain placed around the T part of the regulator (but the ring was small enough to not come out without removing the entire T part), and the other around the oxygen wrench. didn't have a problem losing them to the best of my knowledge.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
We just use a hockey skate lace tied around the regulator, it's not going anywhere.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
we use an actual wrench, i think 3/16ths, tied with a peice of rope

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
A Leatherman or Gerber multi-tool works quite well for those times that you can't find the wrench.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Small Visegrip.

PS: watch for sparks, that's why tank wrenches are aluminum, brass or plastic.

PPS: go to GOOGLE , search IMAGES for plastic oxygen wrenches handles or whatever. You can scan hunderds of images much faster than looking through lists.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
We have chains that do the same thing. They break all the time though. How well do the zip ties hold up to abuse?

I honestly don't know. The places I've seen it used were pretty low abuse, however I do wonder how much abuse oxygen tanks really need to take if people take care of them. I realize, however, that often is not the case in many systems.

OP
OP
B

Bosco836

Forum Lieutenant
Are you talking about the black pastic discs that sit ontop of the valve stem?

Yes! I believe so. Do you have any info about what these are called/where to purchase them?