NYS EMT Reciprocity Application Help!!!

68wmedic2021

Forum Ride Along
I am eligible for reciprocity because I am a 68W medic who has a current NREMT but step 4 of the application is worded awkwardly.

It says to send the form "Verification of EMT Certification" to the EMS office of the state where you are currently certified or licensed along with a self-addressed, stamped envelope. The state EMS office will complete the middle portion of the form to verify your certification or licensure status and will return the form to you in the envelope you provided.

I got my certification in the military at JBSA Fort Sam Houston 5 months ago. So where would I be sending this form to exactly? Do I send it to Texas EMS office because that's where the base is located and where I received my training or do I send it to the NYS EMS office?

It also says to mail this form, once mailed back to you, to the NYS DOH along with the rest of your packet. I'm assuming I need to mail this out first/receive it back before even sending out my complete packet to NYS DOH, correct?

These might be dumb questions but I just want to make sure I don't make a mistake since this process takes a while. I'm also from NY which is why I would like to get my state license as well. Thanks in advance!

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Do you hold a state license anywhere?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Best bet would be to contact NYS DOH and see what they say. You may then have to contact JBSA Fort Sam Houston for further assistance.

chbochur

Forum Probie
I am eligible for reciprocity because I am a 68W medic who has a current NREMT but step 4 of the application is worded awkwardly.

It says to send the form "Verification of EMT Certification" to the EMS office of the state where you are currently certified or licensed along with a self-addressed, stamped envelope. The state EMS office will complete the middle portion of the form to verify your certification or licensure status and will return the form to you in the envelope you provided.

I got my certification in the military at JBSA Fort Sam Houston 5 months ago. So where would I be sending this form to exactly? Do I send it to Texas EMS office because that's where the base is located and where I received my training or do I send it to the NYS EMS office?

It also says to mail this form, once mailed back to you, to the NYS DOH along with the rest of your packet. I'm assuming I need to mail this out first/receive it back before even sending out my complete packet to NYS DOH, correct?

These might be dumb questions but I just want to make sure I don't make a mistake since this process takes a while. I'm also from NY which is why I would like to get my state license as well. Thanks in advance!
Might be smart to first get a cert in Texas and use that together with nremt to get reciprocity in ny.
It's an annoying process. And none of your questions are dumb;)
Also when I had questions nys doh were very helpful on the phone.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Definitely contact NYS directly. I don’t think you will have a problem - they should be accommodating for servicemembers!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
as per https://www.health.ny.gov/professionals/ems/certification/reciprocity.htm

Attention Reciprocity Applicants With Military Medical Training​

For individuals who are or were in the military and:

1. have completed the appropriate and approved military medical training (ie 68W) in the last 3 years and
  2. hold a current National Registry EMT credential obtained by having completed the practical skills and written examination for the current credential will be certified/recertified as a NYS EMT for the remaining time of their NREMT card.
and the info packet from https://www.health.ny.gov/professionals/ems/pdf/2016-04-06_draft_rec_pkt_revisions.pdf says
Military Trained/National Park Services Affiliated The Bureau of EMS may be able to grant reciprocity to a member or veteran of the United States military who received training from the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, or to members of the National Park Services if the following conditions have occurred: 1. Training was completed at a military branch medical training facility (Base, Post, Fort or Station) which has been identified to the Department of Health as the location for all training of military service medical personnel, 2. The training followed the current National EMS Education Guidelines. 3. The applicant has submitted a certificate of completion from the specific branch of military service and documentation that the duty assignment was medical in nature and comparable to a civilian EMT (e.g. Army MOS 68W), and 4. Have successfully completed a state (Non-NYS) or NR practical skills and written certification exam within the last 3 years.

For questions about eligibility or the application for reciprocity, please contact the Reciprocity Unit at (518) 402-0996 or write to: Reciprocity Unit, New York State Department of Health, Bureau of Emergency Medical Services, 875 Central Avenue, Albany NY 12206-1388

WizardOfVoz

Forum Ride Along
Hello. I hope by this point you have it all figured out and are licensed in NYS. If not, I wanted to point out page 7 from the Reciprocity Packet on NYS’ Website. Note that it states at step 4 on the attached document that if you only possess NREMT then there is no need for verification and you can send your entire application straight to NYS DOH. I did the same exact thing. I am active duty Military in San Diego, CA and went to EMT School off base during my off-time and earned my NREMT eventually. So, at the time that I processed my application, I only possessed my NREMT. This process was trial-and-error for me so I have become a personal expert on the reciprocity process. I hope this helps you. Take care!

Attachments

• Reciprocity Packet - Page 7.pdf
    13.8 KB · Views: 121