NYS Conceal Carry

Should responders be able to carry a concealed weapon?

• NO

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • YES

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • UNDECIDED

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

300Medic

Forum Probie
Hi all, I am sure this has been a topic that many of you have had to face. I am looking for guidance...

I have several members who are conceal carry permit holders and want to carry while on duty. Personally, I am struggling with this because while I support everyone's undeniable right to bear arms, I also have several concerns that this may pose a safety hazard. The department chief wants me to establish a policy that there are to be no firearms on a scene.

My quest for help is in two parts:

1) Can a policy easily be established by stating that "XYZ Department recognizes each individual's constitutional right to bare arms.Under no circumstance is there to be a firearm on a responders person during emergency responses. If a firearm is seen that person will immediately be directed to leave the scene and secure the firearm." (or some variation of this)

2) what are the DOH/PESH/OSHA regulations for conceal carry. I am having trouble finding those.

I appreciate the help in advance!

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
You should ask your department's attorney and your department's insurance agency. They would likely be able to help. Also, contact the DOH BEMS, they may have guidance, but I didn't see any policy statements or in Part 800.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Hi all, I am sure this has been a topic that many of you have had to face. I am looking for guidance...

I have several members who are conceal carry permit holders and want to carry while on duty. Personally, I am struggling with this because while I support everyone's undeniable right to bear arms, I also have several concerns that this may pose a safety hazard. The department chief wants me to establish a policy that there are to be no firearms on a scene.

My quest for help is in two parts:

1) Can a policy easily be established by stating that "XYZ Department recognizes each individual's constitutional right to bare arms.Under no circumstance is there to be a firearm on a responders person during emergency responses. If a firearm is seen that person will immediately be directed to leave the scene and secure the firearm." (or some variation of this)

2) what are the DOH/PESH/OSHA regulations for conceal carry. I am having trouble finding those.

I appreciate the help in advance!
I feel the same, i am in LE and feel that people should have the right to have firearms. Think about it, EMT's are enclosed in spaces(back of ambulance) when as a responsible LEO, are you ever in a super tightly enclosed space such as an ambulance? Firefighters.. hell no, extreme heat + bullets = not good. I understand civilians can carry, however personally i feel first responders and LE agents/officers should be held to a higher standard while they are working. And i can see a big difference between civilian CC, and carrying a firearm as a responder of some sort. This was debated on the kansas forum somewhere.

1. Most likely not.. There is a really big problem I see with this. What happens if your posting somewhere? what happens if you get a call, are you going to take your firearm off, and properly place it in a safe thats approved by the state? if not, your breaking a law. All of that takes time. The law for me as a parole officer is even weird. I'm sure they can make a law stating that, but i'm venturing to guess they won't be too hasty to make that act for you. You are a volunteer agency?
2. I can take a look later today or tomorrow maybe it's in-network for state employees?

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Firearms have no propose on anyone other than LEO's (this is all while at work of course). The day I carry at work (EMS/Fire) is the day I quit to become a cop. Couple of issue's, this topic has been discussed a time or two before.

1. Its a tactical nightmare if you're carrying on a ambulance. Close quarters with my pistol, no thank you.
2. You have those I wish a mother ****er would. Those guys just pray for the day they get to draw down on someone and will be looking for the opportunity to do so.
3. What if you run a call in a government/ state building, or a school? Unless you're a LEO you can't have a gun on those premises'.
4. Where would you conceal? Shirts are always tucked in so there goes anything on the waist. Only viable option would be a ankle holster. No thanks.

While I'm ignorant to NYS laws, I do know CA laws. Obviously my information may or may not be exact to your case but these are valid in plain jane common sense. I'm all for concealed carry, but on duty absolutely not.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
What if you run a call in a government/ state building, or a school? Unless you're a LEO you can't have a gun on those premises'.
Fwiw some Leo's can't even carry in a state building they have to check their sw in at the desk, that's how you can tell the power players, if they carry past the front desk ;)

CALEMT

And since we're on the subject. If you have any situational awareness you shouldn't even find yourself in a situation where you need to go on the defensive/ offensive.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
While I think any firearms in the back of the ambulance are generally a bad idea, I do think that telling a CCW cardholder they can't carry on the truck makes about as much sense as a gun free school zone.

For some additional information on the topic (albeit not on NYS laws, but on the general topic)

http://www.emsworld.com/article/10442064/call-to-arms

https://www.ems1.com/ems-education/...-ambulance-crews-be-allowed-to-carry-weapons/

http://www.jems.com/content/jems/en...ohio-medics-carrying-guns-personal-prote.html

http://www.jems.com/articles/print/...pro-bono-allowing-ems-carry-concealed-we.html

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
I do think that telling a CCW cardholder they can't carry on the truck makes about as much sense as a gun free school zone.
Could you explain? We have the right to refuse a patient if we don't feel safe. "our" kids have to go to school. (yes i understand have is used loosely, because technically they can stay uneducated). + we can always request a LEO if you really feel that unsafe. then its 2 un-retainable firearms in a super enclosed space :D!

CALEMT

EO if you really feel that unsafe. then its 2 un-retainable firearms in a super enclosed space :D!

But someone with a lot more weapons training.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
But someone with a lot more weapons training.

That as somebody with said training would still be dam near impossible, short of beating the "attacker" unconscious. In my honest opinion I wouldn't trust 90% of delta force/seals retaining their weapon against a psych patient without knocking them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CALEMT

That as somebody with said training would still be dam near impossible, short of beating the "attacker" unconscious. In my honest opinion I wouldn't trust 90% of delta force/seals retaining their weapon against a psych patient without knocking them out.

My point exactly. They'd opt for hands on instead of drawing a gun.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
My point exactly. They'd opt for hands on instead of drawing a gun.

They'd probably just kill you with their pen. Then pull it out and use it to crich you.