NY Medic looking for CA job

JKRTGH

Forum Ride Along
Hey all

I'm a medic raised and trained in the greater NYC area. I've worked in the Hudson Valley and Long Island, trained along FDNY on my field rotations. I recently moved to Pasadena and accidentally got myself hired by an international remote care company at the same time about a year ago. I'm looking to take some time off from that gig to get more established for a few months in California, then maybe return to working overseas every other month.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some good places that may be hiring December / January? I'm not married to LA county (I thought NY was expensive) but would probably like to stay in socal. I'm definitely willing to commute even a few hours if I can work 24s or 48s. Ideally, a hybrid system that's predominantly 911 that also handles inter-facilities would be perfect. I've worked privates operating that way before as well as 911 fly cars for fire departments and EMS agencies. It's corny but I do enjoy teaching new providers, especially the volunteers, as much as they can drive me crazy lol. I'm also looking for part time or per diem status while working full time hours, ie, I don't need benefits or a contract, but want to work as much as possible. I've read generally good things about Schaffer (sp?) and McCormmick but I'm not sure how flexible they would be regarding hours and such.

My other concern is the "mother may I" mentality. I've read on a few forums certain agencies have a lot more liberties and standing orders than others. After 6 years of working as the sole medic on scenes and only contacting medical control for the train wreck sphincter shrinking calls, I've become pretty independent and I'm going to be hard pressed to be asking permission to give some fluids. I'm finding a lot of conflicting info online about socal protocols, if there are any providers who worked in the NY areas I mentioned that also moved to socal, I would really appreciate your insight into any glaring differences.

rujero

Emergency Services RN, NREMT
All I can say is... good luck. I tried to relocate to Long Beach a few years ago and went through the BLS refresher process out there. I don't know about Medic scope in CA, but unless they got in with a FD, Basics in SoCal made minimum wage to do IFTs and the only meds they administered are epi via auto injector and oral glucose... without being able to check sugars. The protocol is to give a tube if the pt is suspected of possibly being hypoglycemic... without being able to verify with a glucometer.

I was like yeah, no thanks. I can't go from standing orders for ASA, Albuterol nebs, EpiPens, SL nitro, MDIs and Narcan to this ****. I'm not in the field anymore, but Basic's are getting CPAP soon here in Boston. Check your scope and try to secure a job doing 911 response with a FD before you get out there is my advice.

On a personal note... have fun in California. It's freaking amazing out there when it's not on fire!

-r

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
From what you are asking for you will not find it in SoCal. It's all a mother may I system in LA County and the surrounding counties aren't going to give a per diem full time hours without them going to full time status. In La County there isn't any private providers who actually do 911 like you are used to. At best they drive the firefighter/paramedic around to the hospital. Also good luck finding a company willing to put up with you being gone every other month, most generally want at least one shift a week, and you are competing in a area with ton of providers overall.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Liberty Ambulance in Ridgecrest does part time and I believe American in Fresno. Cheap living, decent pay. No mother may I protocols. You can also check out San Luis Ambulance in San Louis Obispo. Great pay, great location. Your only other option is working for the borg aka AMR.

CLCustom1911

Forum Crew Member
I'm a cop in Arcadia going through Medic school. Yeah LA County is absolutely a mother-may-I County 100%. Investigate the Inland Counties Emergency Medical Authority (ICEMA) which covers San Bernardino, Inyo, and Mono Counties. Good scope there. AMR has the 9-1-1 for San Bernardino County I believe, Symons Ambulance has paramedics as well that does IFT's and lots of sporting events. A lot of part timers there.

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
Check out Imperial Ambulance in Porterville. It is about 2 1/2 hours north but they do 48s and they hire per diem.You would be the only ALS provider on scene as fire is BLS. It's mainly 911. They are currently hiring and I believe starting pay is 17.50.

CLCustom1911

Forum Crew Member
Check out Imperial Ambulance in Porterville. It is about 2 1/2 hours north but they do 48s and they hire per diem.You would be the only ALS provider on scene as fire is BLS. It's mainly 911. They are currently hiring and I believe starting pay is 17.50.
That still blows my mind that starting pay for a paramedic would be $18 an hour!! You guys have such a massive responsibility and the pay should be so much more: commensurate to the training and duties of the job.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
That still blows my mind that starting pay for a paramedic would be $18 an hour!! You guys have such a massive responsibility and the pay should be so much more: commensurate to the training and duties of the job.
Welcome to California where the cost of living is high and the pay is low if you're not a firefighter.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Yeah I'm a cop in SoCal. It just is insane the amount of responsibility is completely inverse to the pay.
Pretty ridiculous but that's what you get when everyone is an EMT or Paramedic and trying to get one of those few firefighter spots.

Hey all

I'm a medic raised and trained in the greater NYC area. I've worked in the Hudson Valley and Long Island, trained along FDNY on my field rotations. I recently moved to Pasadena and accidentally got myself hired by an international remote care company at the same time about a year ago. I'm looking to take some time off from that gig to get more established for a few months in California, then maybe return to working overseas every other month.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some good places that may be hiring December / January? I'm not married to LA county (I thought NY was expensive) but would probably like to stay in socal. I'm definitely willing to commute even a few hours if I can work 24s or 48s. Ideally, a hybrid system that's predominantly 911 that also handles inter-facilities would be perfect. I've worked privates operating that way before as well as 911 fly cars for fire departments and EMS agencies. It's corny but I do enjoy teaching new providers, especially the volunteers, as much as they can drive me crazy lol. I'm also looking for part time or per diem status while working full time hours, ie, I don't need benefits or a contract, but want to work as much as possible. I've read generally good things about Schaffer (sp?) and McCormmick but I'm not sure how flexible they would be regarding hours and such.

My other concern is the "mother may I" mentality. I've read on a few forums certain agencies have a lot more liberties and standing orders than others. After 6 years of working as the sole medic on scenes and only contacting medical control for the train wreck sphincter shrinking calls, I've become pretty independent and I'm going to be hard pressed to be asking permission to give some fluids. I'm finding a lot of conflicting info online about socal protocols, if there are any providers who worked in the NY areas I mentioned that also moved to socal, I would really appreciate your insight into any glaring differences.

Hall Ambulance in Kern County
American in Fresno/Kings County
Riggs Ambulance in Merced County
San Luis Ambulance in SLO County

Hands down some of the best companies, with the best systems, that are not mother may that I can recommend.

Last edited: