NREMT, why oh why?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
You don't seem to get it.

Either I am currently certified with the NREMT or I am not. The exp date has passed but their system indicates I am still active WITH an exp date of 3/31/09. That is logically impossible.

Plus the NREMT website is absolutely haphazard and disjointed. I can log in, click my status and told "this is a beta site, things might not work".

For the nation's EMS certification they surely ought to have had this working since, oh I dunno, 2000?

You also seem to not get, that one can still obtain their certification (after March deadline) if all the education and required material was pre-dated prior to 3/31/09. One has to pay a late fee for the extended "grace period" as noted on their web site. As well, technically those people will not be "expired" but in process just alike all other board certifications I have seen and been active in. This is very common thing with registration and license. This is all explained in your re-registry letter packet. Did you not read it?

Their deadline is March 31, but they have always announced if you want it sooner to send in prior to February. Don't gripe and whine about it; you were informed & knew about for over two years; it did not just so happen to occur.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
You don't seem to get it!

You waited till the last minute to recert. They are flooded with applications at this time and it takes people to go through them all. They are not going to update the site, till they get the information. By the time they catch up, if you haven't applied, then they will change the status. It is a website, that must be updated by humans. It takes time to do this, when you have thousands that wait till the last minute.

If you are that unhappy with the process, then turn in your NREMT cert and move on. I am sure you would find lots of jobs with it!

Dude, you *really* don't seem to get it. The NREMT website is a total blast from the past. When I go on there and select New Hampshire (where I am licensed) it says, "there are no agencies in New Hampshire". That's wrong. There is no way to centrally manage your ConEd on an ongoing basis and their website is just bad bad bad. If they would fix these issues then recert would be much, much simpler.

My main complaint is about their lousy website. My second complaint is about how slow they are. If they are claiming to be the nation's EMS certification then it behooves them to be able to keep up with demand.

JPINFV

Gadfly
The entire web based CE management IS currently in beta. Besides, is tracking your CMEs really that hard? Heck, you've gotta keep the certificates issued for CEs anyways in case you get audited.

http://nremt.org/nremt/downloads/Newsletter_2009.pdf Page 3.

As far as the website? Meh, it could be better but considering I might visit the site once every two years to worry about recert, I'd rather they work on more important issues.

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
The entire web based CE management IS currently in beta. Besides, is tracking your CMEs really that hard? Heck, you've gotta keep the certificates issued for CEs anyways in case you get audited.

http://nremt.org/nremt/downloads/Newsletter_2009.pdf Page 3.

As far as the website? Meh, it could be better but considering I might visit the site once every two years to worry about recert, I'd rather they work on more important issues.

Yeah, Beta in 2009 when it should have been in 1999. How are we supposed to be considered professionals when our certifying organization is 10 years behind the times?

I have every cert scanned in and backup to a server in remote CO. But being able to put it in as I go along would be real nice.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Actually, their web site is in South Dakota. Quit your whining and complaining! Really.. it's not becoming. Who really cares, if your state don't even require it? If you had not procrastinated your cert would had been returned in a timely manner.

Don't like what they do, I suggest another agency.. and don't plan having any other registry or certifications that you might need to update. Most will not allow you to check your status unless per certified and per mail.

I am impressed you are able to check your own status especially the number they process. Your problem was directly caused by your own demise and no one else.. Amazing I processed over 20 and received them back within <5 days.. Mine has not returned as I too was late sending it in.. but, I am not whining about it... What else should I expect?

Personally, I like to see them refrain from allowing any information only per mail. Maybe, whiners would quit complaining. Try law and medical boards.. their hand graded and as some have discussed last week it may take weeks to months to find results.

R/r 911

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Actually, their web site is in South Dakota. Quit your whining and complaining! Really.. it's not becoming. Who really cares, if your state don't even require it? If you had not procrastinated your cert would had been returned in a timely manner.

Don't like what they do, I suggest another agency.. and don't plan having any other registry or certifications that you might need to update. Most will not allow you to check your status unless per certified and per mail.

I am impressed you are able to check your own status especially the number they process. Your problem was directly caused by your own demise and no one else.. Amazing I processed over 20 and received them back within <5 days.. Mine has not returned as I too was late sending it in.. but, I am not whining about it... What else should I expect?

Personally, I like to see them refrain from allowing any information only per mail. Maybe, whiners would quit complaining. Try law and medical boards.. their hand graded and as some have discussed last week it may take weeks to months to find results.

R/r 911

How it is my problem that the NREMT website is from 1999 is way beyond me. Somehow by me turning in my coned and recert app 3 weeks ago makes the NREMT's website suck. This is very confusing and makes no sense. I guess my coned can be causation for the NREMT's lousy and pre-Y2K website but you'll have to explain it to me. So, Rid, can you?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Simple, you are responsible for your con-ed and no else. Computers? Who in the heck want to use a computer for such? I don't know but I keep over 40+ employees without using one at this time. It is called photocopy and a file cabinet. I know younger generation believes everything has to be electronically but guess what.. it don't. Yeah, I will convert with time, but the old file system works just fine.

Here's a neat idea. Piece of paper with lines. Place names of events and dates and times. Make photocopy of certificates, training roster with training officer name and signature for personal files... that's it! Keep it for two years.

What difference does it matter upon how NREMT web site matters? Really, who cares that they even have one? Personally, close the thing down.. who cares? Many business can perform without one.. We did for over thirty years.. and yes, quite successfully!

Really, other than knowing your current status what else would one use their site for after you became certified? I have never used or seen a need to use it on a personal level.

Sorry be responsible for your own license and certification. If you know you have to have the NREMT card within a reasonable time, be sure to do it early.

C'mon .. your smarter than that.

R/r 911

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Because a photocopier and a filing cabinet is so very professional. Truly, the NREMT's website and their inability to live up to even the most basic and simple web standards is astounding. I think it's time for the NREMT to come into modern times. It'll save time and money while improving professionalism.

emtfarva

Forum Captain
You don't seem to get it.

Either I am currently certified with the NREMT or I am not. The exp date has passed but their system indicates I am still active WITH an exp date of 3/31/09. That is logically impossible.

Plus the NREMT website is absolutely haphazard and disjointed. I can log in, click my status and told "this is a beta site, things might not work".

For the nation's EMS certification they surely ought to have had this working since, oh I dunno, 2000?
Did you CALL them. They are very nice to talk too. TRY CALLING THEM!!!!!

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Did you CALL them. They are very nice to talk too. TRY CALLING THEM!!!!!

No, as their website says not to call about cert issues.

emtfarva

Forum Captain
No, as their website says not to call about cert issues.
that is more a question about wether they got your paperwork or not. and the website takes a day or two to update. But considering that you are NH cert, and can't work in NH without your NR. I would call them tomorrow.

emtfarva

Forum Captain
that is more a question about wether they got your paperwork or not. and the website takes a day or two to update. But considering that you are NH cert, and can't work in NH without your NR. I would call them tomorrow.
Call them anyway. What is the worse they can do yell at you and tell you not to call again.

reaper

Working Bum
Because a photocopier and a filing cabinet is so very professional. Truly, the NREMT's website and their inability to live up to even the most basic and simple web standards is astounding. I think it's time for the NREMT to come into modern times. It'll save time and money while improving professionalism.

Do you even realize what you pay to recert with them? Maybe the should raise the cert fees to $300, then they can make the best website ever seen.

Sorry, I will take the lower fees and deal with a website that works perfectly fine for 99% of the people using it!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

Actually their web site was just redone about four weeks ago. You are one of the only complaints I have heard of. Sure, it is not immediately redone nor should it be.

In regards to filing cabinet, guess what hard copies is the VERY professional way to do things? Again, use common sense. It works, what is wrong with it? A problem with many is too many worry about "appearances" instead of functioning. They just purchased a company to download all their past entries into computer format of the old tests and applications prior to computer based testing.

Seriously, I don't understand why anyone would be so nit-picky on a web site? On which format etc. it uses. As long as it produces the answers WHO CARES? I guarantee you, majority of EMT's do not know or care which model of web site they use.

I doubt that their intrest is in their information web site and doubt it will change soon.Thier focus will be upon re-registration. All re-registry can or will be performed per on-line. Alike a banking system, you will make deposits of your approved CAN education CEU's and when you have met the required and refresher/etc.. Training officers and Physicians will have PIN to be able to enter required information. One will pay through a system (maybe Pay pal) and this will be immediately given to your residing state.

It is in pilot study and so far so good. This system was not cheap; so I doubt that they will be worried about an information web site if it is up to computer geeks standards or not.

Alike what was said.. You pay less than $10 a year.Try ANA, ENA and other professional organizations that don't even posts current and their costs is several hundred dollars.

R/r 911

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Lovely. I got an email yesterday morning from the NREMT saying that my application didn't include an original (or any) copy of the NH EMT-B refresher program. That's just plain wrong. The application was personally packaged by the director of my training institute and we have a checklist indicating everything that was included. I have absolutely no doubt that the Registry lost it.

Marcia from the Registry says that I can just send in another original with a seal from the NH BEMS. Anne from the Registery says that my entire application is being returned to me in the US mail and I must wait until I get it to then return it with the refresher cert. I asked about this discrepency and have been told to "wait for us to call you back".

Why is it that the NREMT is so very disorganized. Electronic record keeping would *easily* solve this problem. Instead they are acting and functioning as if they were operating in the 1980s, not 2009.

Lovely.

reaper

Working Bum
I think you just pissed them off and they all know you now! I sent my refreaser cert by fax and had no problem with it?

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah maybe....ugg

NH requires an original refresher cert to accompany the application.

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Yup. So now I get to wait for the NREMT to return my entire application just so I can resend them a form they already were sent.

And I get to wait an additional 6 weeks after resending it in.

Can anyone say electronic record keeping? How in the world has such a poorly run, archaic organization like the NREMT gotten into such a position of power? Unreal.

JPINFV

Gadfly
So start an alternative certification agency...

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Better yet, ensure you have all the proper paper work; when you send it in.

p.s. NREMT is going to paperless within the next two years.

R/r 911