NREMT, why oh why?

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Here's a curiousity-

Why does the NREMT's recert section tell you to make sure your recert app is into them by Feb 14 when the lapse day is March 31. I just sent in the app today and only noticed this in the section *after* you pay the $15 app fee. It's all signed off and we're sending it overnight with delivery confirm to prove it got there before exp date and make sure it's delivered. Still, tho, this is confusing at best!

And yes, I know they are a private company and can make up and change rules whenever they want to, for any reason (or not), blah blah.

reaper

Working Bum
To make sure that they have time to deal with the hundreds of apps that all show up at the last minute!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
To make sure that they have time to deal with the hundreds of apps that all show up at the last minute!

That's what I was thinking. Makes sense too

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I can assure you its more like literally thousands a day as I have witnessed. Just alike any registration for any thing that expires; plan ahead, you had two years to accomplish this. $15 is a joke to compare with the several hundreds of dollars other agencies charge. Wow! $7.50 a year... not bad price, figuring its been that way for over 25 years.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Here's a quick question that was asked of me today by a friend...

Say someone miscounted and they are exactly 1 hour short. They send in their recert app, everything is signed off, etc.

What happens?

medic417

The Truth Provider
Here's a quick question that was asked of me today by a friend...

Say someone miscounted and they are exactly 1 hour short. They send in their recert app, everything is signed off, etc.

What happens?

You lose your certification for fraud? :unsure:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
If they catch it, they are sent a letter that they have not met the requirements. At the end of the form there is a spot that all of the hours is totalled. Hence the reason the name and telephone number of the training officer is placed upon the re-application form.

Also to answer your initial question, I personally witnessed over 9,000 pieces of reapplication forms being delivered Friday. There is about 4-8 people that reviews these as well as other functions normally. When I asked your question Bill Brown, CEO of the NREMT informed me for those "late procrastinators" that they have a re-cert party. One Saturday all staff and a group of EMS volunteer personnel review go through the "late mails". They are able to process of reading and sorting each re cert in little over a 30 seconds.

Is there mistakes, or I am sure there are. Truthfully I am impressed that so little are made, their human.

Remember, all military medics are now NREMT, then as well as those even outside U.S. and almost all of the U.S. except 2 states. Basically, almost half re certify every year.

They are moving towards an electronic way to re-register. As described per Mr. Brown similar to a banking system. Where one will add CEU's with an approved number and immediately receive credit for it. When enough hours is obtained you are informed, your medical director will also be able to complete the process online. Payment will be performed through a secure site (alike Paypal or similar) and one could receive their card with a few days. For those states that have and same NREMT re-registration requirements (alike mine) will immediately be informed so local and state requirements have been met. Theoretically, one may be able to receive their re-registration in December within a few days for both license or certification. I believe that this will be establish very soon.

This process is being "pilot tested" and so far has been successful. It was not cheap as one can imagine. That $15 or $7.50 per/yr each of us payed; helped purchase that $500,000 type system and analysis of improvements. Consistent research and development of tests, then validation (yes, they are validated) and meet some the hardest national testing criteria per academic terms.

I too never realized what exactly or how the process worked. Personally, was impressed that they are able to perform as much as they do. In realization of the numbers that is processed and correlation of the few numbers of staff is amazing.

Now, let's also be truthful too. We have seen a general sample of what many EMT's represent. Inability to process simplistic forms, being outraged because they failed a test (blaming everyone but themselves) or unable or not being informed on the "system" works. I am glad, I do not have to deal with the number or those types of calls on a daily basis.

I personally, will no longer be as apt to criticize early as I have done previously.

R/r 911

* sorry for the poor grammar and typos ... a little jet lagged.

Last edited by a moderator:

reaper

Working Bum
My old service in FL used CE Broker. It is a great idea. When you take any CE classes, the class instructor can log on and apply all the info. This tracks all your hours and reports them to the state, when recert comes up. It is worth the money for a person to use for themselves too.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Rid, any idea on how the NREMT's online system will work around CEs that won't have approval numbers (i.e. college courses)?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I was not going to go into all the details as I was only informed but there will be a way to validate hours per your EMS Training Officer. As well, I believe there is possibly discussion being made upon validating EMS calls using the NEMSIS system so experience can also be used. Again, I don't want to speak out of term as it is all being investigated and processed.

I will say, there is much investigation and progression to make re-registration much more applicable and easier. Definitely, I have seen where much of the money is being spent upon.

R/r 911

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
For bona fide error? Do you always assume worst case?

Actually yes. I have known many that have lost their nursing license for less. One has to be sure that official documents and to be responsible enough to review for accuracy. One make the determination, if they are that careless with care such as medications, etc.

Doubtful NREMT would, but could.

R/r 911

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Well thanks for the NREMT I have absolutely no idea if I am still nationally registered. I checked their website and it says I am register and current and I expire 3/31/09. Is this an April Fools joke?

I think the NREMT is a joke. Their website and technology is clearly from 1999, not 2009.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Well thanks for the NREMT I have absolutely no idea if I am still nationally registered. I checked their website and it says I am register and current and I expire 3/31/09. Is this an April Fools joke?

I think the NREMT is a joke. Their website and technology is clearly from 1999, not 2009.

Seems like sour grapes from someone that waited till last minute to submit the paperwork. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Seems like sour grapes from someone that waited till last minute to submit the paperwork. :rolleyes:

I submitted it weeks before the deadline. The deadline being 3/31/09.

But we can all agree their website is from 1999, not 2009.

reaper

Working Bum
I see no problem with the website, it gives you all the info you need. Why wait till weeks before expiration, why not do it months before?

medic417

The Truth Provider
I submitted it weeks before the deadline. The deadline being 3/31/09.

But we can all agree their website is from 1999, not 2009.

Actually they say to submit in Feb you waited to submit in March based on original post. Sorry you made a mistake not their fault.

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Actually they say to submit in Feb you waited to submit in March based on original post. Sorry you made a mistake not their fault.

You don't seem to get it.

Either I am currently certified with the NREMT or I am not. The exp date has passed but their system indicates I am still active WITH an exp date of 3/31/09. That is logically impossible.

Plus the NREMT website is absolutely haphazard and disjointed. I can log in, click my status and told "this is a beta site, things might not work".

For the nation's EMS certification they surely ought to have had this working since, oh I dunno, 2000?

reaper

Working Bum
You don't seem to get it!

You waited till the last minute to recert. They are flooded with applications at this time and it takes people to go through them all. They are not going to update the site, till they get the information. By the time they catch up, if you haven't applied, then they will change the status. It is a website, that must be updated by humans. It takes time to do this, when you have thousands that wait till the last minute.

If you are that unhappy with the process, then turn in your NREMT cert and move on. I am sure you would find lots of jobs with it!