NREMT CBT, A joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robby1974

Forum Crew Member
Bwhaha

Omg where did you find that!? I want a smilie like that!!

So im reading the posts and thinking to myself...this is like a really good sitcom (ina sad kinda way) then I see the popcorn smiley and BUST out laffin. I swear I laughed for a full minute. HACKIN FUNNY! :lol:

Anyway, having recently taken my NREMT-B and then followed up with Intermediate class and NREMT-I test I too noticed a difference between class and the NREMT CBT. There was more "book learning" in class whereas the NREMT tested competancy. Both times I tested (once for basic and once for Intermediate) I felt like I failed the test, felt like I was just guessing at every answer. After I had taken the Intermediate I was convinced that I was going to have to retest, convinced I failed. So I did a little reasearch into the NREMT test and found that they actually expect most people to only get about half the questions right. However, while you are testing, the test will get harder or easier depending on your answers. I studied before my tests, but not a lot. I was confident that I would pass. I didn't spend a lot of time on each question. I chose the best answer and moved on. This is why I think I passed each time. I didn't make it complicated. I didn't stress over each individual answer. Most of all I just relaxed and said OK I know the material "let's do this sh** and get it over with.

Here's the thing. This forum can be a bit "straight forward" at times. EMS is not a group of professionals that will hold your hand, and pat your hand, and say "It will be OK hunny bunny". I have had a post deleted before because I was a bit too "straight forward" (OOPS). Take the information for what it's worth. We don't know you. We can't come to your house and speak with you and judge why you havn't been sucessful on your NREMT-P. Take the advice or don't. We are all just givin our 2 cents (or .5 cents) (or 2 dollars):rolleyes:
Take it for what it's worth. At the end of the day you still gotta pass that Hackin test. Good luck, sounds like you're gonna need it.

Sasha

Forum Chief
So im reading the posts and thinking to myself...this is like a really good sitcom (ina sad kinda way) then I see the popcorn smiley and BUST out laffin. I swear I laughed for a full minute. HACKIN FUNNY! :lol:

Anyway, having recently taken my NREMT-B and then followed up with Intermediate class and NREMT-I test I too noticed a difference between class and the NREMT CBT. There was more "book learning" in class whereas the NREMT tested competancy. Both times I tested (once for basic and once for Intermediate) I felt like I failed the test, felt like I was just guessing at every answer. After I had taken the Intermediate I was convinced that I was going to have to retest, convinced I failed. So I did a little reasearch into the NREMT test and found that they actually expect most people to only get about half the questions right. However, while you are testing, the test will get harder or easier depending on your answers. I studied before my tests, but not a lot. I was confident that I would pass. I didn't spend a lot of time on each question. I chose the best answer and moved on. This is why I think I passed each time. I didn't make it complicated. I didn't stress over each individual answer. Most of all I just relaxed and said OK I know the material "let's do this sh** and get it over with.

Here's the thing. This forum can be a bit "straight forward" at times. EMS is not a group of professionals that will hold your hand, and pat your hand, and say "It will be OK hunny bunny". I have had a post deleted before because I was a bit too "straight forward" (OOPS). Take the information for what it's worth. We don't know you. We can't come to your house and speak with you and judge why you havn't been sucessful on your NREMT-P. Take the advice or don't. We are all just givin our 2 cents (or .5 cents) (or 2 dollars):rolleyes:
Take it for what it's worth. At the end of the day you still gotta pass that Hackin test. Good luck, sounds like you're gonna need it.

I can't afford to give 2 cents. I'm an EMT after all. But I will loan out my 2 cents.

rmellish

Forum Captain
Well Mr. Sparky, I think it's a conspiracy. Really, I do. The National Registry is conniving against you and you alone because you are just too awesome, and they fear that with an EMT-P after your name, you would foil their evil plot to take over the world.

It's really the only explanation for why an all-knowing genius like you cannot pass the NREMT-P while lesser humans pass all the time. I mean, you're doing humanity a favor by trying to obtain your paramedic - you could be a ROCKET SURGEON with your brains.

They're out to get you. We're all out to get you. Put on your foil hat. It's not because you do not have the knowledge required to pass the test. It's because they're plotting against you.

10/10 Awesome post...

Robby1974

Forum Crew Member
So true

"I can't afford to give 2 cents. I'm an EMT after all. But I will loan out my 2 cents."

I can't even afford to loan my 2 cents. Student loans after all. B)

Robby1974

Forum Crew Member
Signature

Robby,

Love the signature!

Thanks Reap! I thought long and hard about what I should put. If we can't laugh at ourselves what good are we? :p

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
Robby I was at home watching the news last week and seen this story http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081209/ap_on_re_us/calling_in_gay and immediately thought about your signature. I could not stop laughing for about 5 minutes, and when my wife asked me why I told her about it. She thought I was retarded, but I had a good laugh so thank you.

Thanks Reap! I thought long and hard about what I should put. If we can't laugh at ourselves what good are we? :p

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
To the OP:

Here's my view of the NREMT -- It is a joke. I passed the NREMT-B in about 20 minutes, but I didn't know enough, and I'm still a rookie and still learning as I bet I will be years from now. The problem is it is the best that they can do, they can test minimum knowledge. If you cannot pass the NREMT, you SHOULD NOT be an EMT. But if you can, it doesn't mean you will be a good or even competent EMT.

The alternative however, is posing an exam such as the USMLE (United States Medical Licensing Examination) which is required for licesnure of all MDs and some DOs.

Unfortuatnely not all EMT-B/I/P have that kind of time and money for an exam such as that (it is a 4 part exam that takes years to complete, Step1 in MED2, Step2 CK in MED4, Step2 CS in MED4 and Step 3 in PGY1 (usually).

The first 3 steps (1, 2CS, 2CK) last a day each (just over 8 hours) while step 3 lasts 2 days. The cost for taking the test for 2CS alone is about $1200 not counting lodging, travel and food (only offered in 5 cities).

It is a comprehensive exam, but by the time you are done, you have spent years on it and thousands of dollars

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
And I think that's enough of this thread.

lock.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.