NREMT CBT, A joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
I give up! There is more excuses and arguing, then wanting to learn anything!!

Yeah, I wrote a big response.. then deleted it and decided not to post it, it's just not worth it when everything I say will just get argued and won't be taken to heart/mind, or w.e. Not worth my time.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
So I take it you didnt have to do 3rd rides or internships to get your license? Not an attack on you but thats how you make it sound. You have to start somewhere. You would have a licnesed medic right next to you to stop you from messing up.

Third rides.. yep Under a guided licensed Paramedic, remember that is for when you are in school not after you have completed it. In other words they are to guide and carefully watch and stop wrong procedures to be performed and make suggestions... because you are a student. In testing scenarios; one could not stop a procedure or make recommendations otherwise it would be considered skewed. This is an academic and procedure for credibility purposes. Also remember in liability you are covered under the school insurance and agreement of a EMS service. As far as I know, I know no license or certification examination performed upon real patients, nor would ever be considered. Even training on animals is under very careful scrutiny, with in depth procedures and usually a Veterinarian on the premises.

I agree it appears that it may not to be the best test, but it is the best way to validate one's knowledge. Consider that it is much more involved to develop the test, than just to develop test questions. I know, I am one of the many test writers for NREMT. Questions have to be created using recent and well documented references approved by the NREMT. They are not based upon anectodotal events or regional opinions. After initial development, they are reviewed and written by academic test writers for validity. If not, the test would be non-credible and worthless for a professional credibility. Alike all other medical professional examinations (remember that is truly what we are.. medical) and other professional examinations (Law/Bar, Electricians, Engineers, etc). Not to be rude, but it is such tests and examinations that is supposed to separate the professional (white collar) from blue collar professions.

Protocols should only be suggested guidelines, usually for legal purposes. There is no way a protocol should or could ever be developed for everything. For example; my service protocols are only about 20 pages long, yet we perform medical diagnostics and procedures not listed, as it is expected we have a common "medical knowledge and understanding of emergency medicine". In other words actions and knowledge that is up to the local medical community standards of care... AHA/ACLS, PALS, NRP, PEPP, PHTLS, etc... Alike physician and other medical practitioners (R.T., P.T., Radiographers) we should be expected to know much more than a step by step or algorithm procedures. Suggestions or guidelines? Sure but medicine, is not a cookie recipe. It takes much more in-depth education and understanding of all the multiple possibilities at one time. Alike the hypothetical question posted, one should automatically know the most reasonable and most accurate answer would be related to a gynecological emergency. Not knowing this represents that one may not be aware of most probability causative agent.

Critical thinking skills can be increased with in-depth education and detailed and complex scenario base lab time. Such scenarios are ones that have multiple or are complex and require multiple actions. In other words multiple treatment(s) and actions should be taken and considered all at one time. In regards to protocols, there maybe three or four protocols that have to be initiated. i.e. Medical/Trauma, or respiratory depression secondary to distributive shock caused by infection. Knowing that one has to perform much more than just the ABC's and maybe very complex in treating.

Unfortunately, many in EMS assume that our role should be limited and be kept simple. EMS if done properly is never easy and is very complex. The reason testing has to be taken very seriously and with scrutiny.

There are many that fail tests for multiple reasons. Such reasons maybe due to poor test taking skills, reading too much into the question, test anxiety and then simply poorly educated or ill trained. There are many ways and information to increase each of those areas.

R/r 911

OP
OP
J

jlsparky7

Forum Crew Member
There's a difference...earlier in the thread, you were talking about information that you felt was necessary to complete your assessment (such as medication, food, alcohol and other types related to patient history). The information you described in this post is information I get from my assessment of the patient.

You're right, assessment information is always available if you do a proper assessment. History information is not always available. And you may not always get the scene information as a medic...especially if you do ALS intercepts with a BLS agency.

It comes down to critical thinking. Once you receive the dispatch information, you should already be thinking about what could be wrong with the patient based upon the information you received. As you get more information, you constantly revise your assessment of what may be wrong. But based upon your knowledge of A&P, you should always have a general idea of what could be wrong with your patient.

I was referring to the assessment more than the history part. In real life, I cant think of one medic i know that has ever done a basic intercept. I dont beleive Nr is geared towards intercepts. Still, the first thing you do on an intercept is reassess, once again the info is available.

I do critical thinking. When I get dispactched to a call for a fall here are some of the things im thinking....
What caused the fall? Low b/s, Loss of Balance, Stroke, MI, UTI (weakness), General weakness, stairs..... ect....
What position did the PT fall from?
How old is the PT?
C-spine precautions?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
To pull the Wm Buckley trick as usual...WHAT Paramedic shortage?

They're crawling out of the woodwork. Not enough jobs for them all.

JL, go study and stop worrying about tests or gravity, neither one's worrying about you. Then go pass the test. If not, then go do something else.

OP
OP
J

jlsparky7

Forum Crew Member
Please do.
Basic 1-
"we dont need to backboard this 85 year old woman with neck pain, she only fell out of bed"
Now became Medic 1-
Overdosed someone with a 14mg bolus of morphine

Basic 2-
Refused to put a Pt with COPD on a nonrebreather or bag them. Vitals were shot.
Now is a medic 2-
Gave a PT amiodarone instead of adenosine for svt (freaking genious)

Basic 3-
Called in a choking 1 month old as a priority 2 instead of 1 because he wasnt doing chest compressions yet. (in my county P1 is immediate life threat P2 is potentially a life threat and P3 is everything else) Big difference between a P1 and P2 around here. P2, your waiting in the hallway for an ED bed.
Now is a Medic 3-
This was just out of cockyness but he stopped to get fuel on a P1 because he was mad at dispatch.

And these are the kind of people NR licenses.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
I do critical thinking.

It is quite apparent you don't...............

Until you accept the FACT that you are not also a Paramedic, by virtue of the fact your did not pass the exam, then you're opinion of other Paramedics performance is irrelevant. You should try redirecting your focus on successfully passing the exam, not wallowing and whining that others did. Think you are better than them? Then go pass the NR, get into a preceptor program and show them what you can do.

Until that point in time, you doing nothing more than b!tch!ng about something you cannot control. Either deal with it, or get over it. One of the two, because honestly, your continuing posts are not productive in any way, just argumentative...........................

Sasha

Forum Chief
If they're as dumb as you say and they passed, and you can't pass, what does that say about you? :p

OP
OP
J

jlsparky7

Forum Crew Member
Third rides.. yep Under a guided licensed Paramedic, remember that is for when you are in school not after you have completed it. In other words they are to guide and carefully watch and stop wrong procedures to be performed and make suggestions... because you are a student. In testing scenarios; one could not stop a procedure or make recommendations otherwise it would be considered skewed. This is an academic and procedure for credibility purposes. Also remember in liability you are covered under the school insurance and agreement of a EMS service. As far as I know, I know no license or certification examination performed upon real patients, nor would ever be considered. Even training on animals is under very careful scrutiny, with in depth procedures and usually a Veterinarian on the premises.

I agree it appears that it may not to be the best test, but it is the best way to validate one's knowledge. Consider that it is much more involved to develop the test, than just to develop test questions. I know, I am one of the many test writers for NREMT. Questions have to be created using recent and well documented references approved by the NREMT. They are not based upon anectodotal events or regional opinions. After initial development, they are reviewed and written by academic test writers for validity. If not, the test would be non-credible and worthless for a professional credibility. Alike all other medical professional examinations (remember that is truly what we are.. medical) and other professional examinations (Law/Bar, Electricians, Engineers, etc). Not to be rude, but it is such tests and examinations that is supposed to separate the professional (white collar) from blue collar professions.

Protocols should only be suggested guidelines, usually for legal purposes. There is no way a protocol should or could ever be developed for everything. For example; my service protocols are only about 20 pages long, yet we perform medical diagnostics and procedures not listed, as it is expected we have a common "medical knowledge and understanding of emergency medicine". In other words actions and knowledge that is up to the local medical community standards of care... AHA/ACLS, PALS, NRP, PEPP, PHTLS, etc... Alike physician and other medical practitioners (R.T., P.T., Radiographers) we should be expected to know much more than a step by step or algorithm procedures. Suggestions or guidelines? Sure but medicine, is not a cookie recipe. It takes much more in-depth education and understanding of all the multiple possibilities at one time. Alike the hypothetical question posted, one should automatically know the most reasonable and most accurate answer would be related to a gynecological emergency. Not knowing this represents that one may not be aware of most probability causative agent.

Critical thinking skills can be increased with in-depth education and detailed and complex scenario base lab time. Such scenarios are ones that have multiple or are complex and require multiple actions. In other words multiple treatment(s) and actions should be taken and considered all at one time. In regards to protocols, there maybe three or four protocols that have to be initiated. i.e. Medical/Trauma, or respiratory depression secondary to distributive shock caused by infection. Knowing that one has to perform much more than just the ABC's and maybe very complex in treating.

Unfortunately, many in EMS assume that our role should be limited and be kept simple. EMS if done properly is never easy and is very complex. The reason testing has to be taken very seriously and with scrutiny.

There are many that fail tests for multiple reasons. Such reasons maybe due to poor test taking skills, reading too much into the question, test anxiety and then simply poorly educated or ill trained. There are many ways and information to increase each of those areas.

R/r 911

The legal liabilities are the problem. NR is licensing the wrong people. Why cant the credibility of the college be put online rather than having a profit corporation give the test?

EMS for the most part is following protocols. Theres no arguing that. Theres a reason protocols exist. Guidlines for treatment just as you said.

Most of the people that work in the field know NR is a joke. It has proven time and time again to me that it is not acting in the best interest of the patient (which it should) They are doing it for some other reason. Maybe money, maybe view of the public eye, or something else.

I have serveral friends that are AWESOME basics and can assess pt's better faster and more knowledgable than most of the medics I have worked with. I know they have the ability to be paramedics, I have studied with all of them and done scenerios, they know the material. It is a shame to know they would be able to help there pts that much more but because of national registry they cant.

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
jlsparky7 - this is enough. You take every response/post and argue it. If you aren't willing to take the advice, than just stop posting. Sittin here and b!+ching and complaining wont help you pass your test and get you your ticket. Seriously. Taking every post and arguing isn't doing anything other than annoying people. If you arent willing to take the advice that is being given to you, than stop posting. What are you gaining by complaining?

OP
OP
J

jlsparky7

Forum Crew Member
It is quite apparent you don't...............

Until you accept the FACT that you are not also a Paramedic, by virtue of the fact your did not pass the exam, then you're opinion of other Paramedics performance is irrelevant. You should try redirecting your focus on successfully passing the exam, not wallowing and whining that others did. Think you are better than them? Then go pass the NR, get into a preceptor program and show them what you can do.

Until that point in time, you doing nothing more than b!tch!ng about something you cannot control. Either deal with it, or get over it. One of the two, because honestly, your continuing posts are not productive in any way, just argumentative...........................

That doesnt make any sense. Just because someone has passed a unfair test doesnt mean they are prepaired to be a paramedic.

The reason I made this post what for help on the testing format and clues to look for. Everyone keeps attacking me so I am telling them why I feel I have been unsuccessfull in passing.

As I said earlier, im venting. Which is pretty much the same as b1tching, dont like it, dont read it.

If you have something helpfull to say I would be happy to read it.

OP
OP
J

jlsparky7

Forum Crew Member
jlsparky7 - this is enough. You take every response/post and argue it. If you aren't willing to take the advice, than just stop posting. Sittin here and b!+ching and complaining wont help you pass your test and get you your ticket. Seriously. Taking every post and arguing isn't doing anything other than annoying people. If you arent willing to take the advice that is being given to you, than stop posting. What are you gaining by complaining?

The only advice I have gotten so far is "see through the question" kind of comments. That isnt helping.

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
That doesnt make any sense. Just because someone has passed a unfair test doesnt mean they are prepaired to be a paramedic.

The reason I made this post what for help on the testing format and clues to look for. Everyone keeps attacking me so I am telling them why I feel I have been unsuccessfull in passing.

As I said earlier, im venting. Which is pretty much the same as b1tching, dont like it, dont read it.

Hit the books. Read them, know your stuff. Prepair for the exam the night before. Go into the exam with a positive, self confident attitude. Don't over think the questions. Those questions you posted before aren't trick questions, they are basic 'do you know your stuff' questions. Take your time, have a good breakfast before the test.

It's up to you whether you pass or not. Good luck!

OP
OP
J

jlsparky7

Forum Crew Member
Hit the books. Read them, know your stuff. Prepair for the exam the night before. Go into the exam with a positive, self confident attitude. Don't over think the questions. Those questions you posted before aren't trick questions, they are basic 'do you know your stuff' questions. Take your time, have a good breakfast before the test.

It's up to you whether you pass or not. Good luck!

Ive hit all the books as I mentioned in my first post. Cover to cover 3 times each.

I always prepare the night before.

Its hard to be positive knowing theres dumber people that pass on the first try. However I still try to have a positive attitude.

I tried the "dont overthink the question" tecnique the first time I took the test. Read the question and answers once and pick the best answer. The second time I took it I tried going with the most basic answer if there was one.

I usually schedule afternoon tests so I have time to wake up and relax.

Anything else? Ive tried everything you mentioned.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Ive hit all the books as I mentioned in my first post. Cover to cover 3 times each.

Its hard to be positive knowing theres dumber people that pass on the first try. However I still try to have a positive attitude.

I tried the "dont overthink the question" tecnique the first time I took the test. Read the question and answers once and pick the best answer. The second time I took it I tried going with the most basic answer if there was one.

Maybe you have to accept the fact that being a medic might not be right for you. Not everyone is cut out to be a medic, and if you can't pass the test you may be one of them.

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief

I wish. I don't have anything else for you. I'm not sure why you are having so many problems with this test.

Hopefully the next time around you will have better luck. Good luck!

OP
OP
J

jlsparky7

Forum Crew Member
Maybe you have to accept the fact that being a medic might not be right for you. Not everyone is cut out to be a medic, and if you can't pass the test you may be one of them.

That is not an acceptable way out. Being a firemedic is the perfect job for me, as well as serveral other people in the same boat as me. When I do pass ill have to see about doing something to change the testing system.

Sasha

Forum Chief
That is not an acceptable way out. Being a firemedic is the perfect job for me, as well as serveral other people in the same boat as me. When I do pass ill have to see about doing something to change the testing system.

The thing is, you have taken the test how many times? And you still can't pass it? Perhaps that means you aren't paramedic, firemedic, whatever you would like to be, material. It's nice to have dreams, but life isn't a Hallmark special. Perhaps you just aren't cut out to be a paramedic. Once you pass, if you pass, I doubt you will be able to change the testing system, as more people have no problem with it than people who do have problems with it. It sucks, but maybe you should reevaluate your stance that the reason you can't pass is the test, and not you.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief

o.k. how about learning how to spell.......................

I too am through, you are so far in denial and so completely obstinate that nothing we offer you will be listened to. So please enjoy the thought of knowing that while you may despise them and their perceived lack of competence; they are still the ones who passed and are practicing as Paramedics. Maybe some day you'll grow up and learn how to learn from others.

But I have my doubts..............

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.