New scoring system, how to know if you're close to passing?

LeDD

Forum Probie
So you need 950 to pass, I got an 814, how far off was I from a passing grade?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
This new system doesn’t help students get a real idea about their performace, as each question isn’t assigned a static point value and you still have no real where your weak areas are.

I still suggest that students use test prep software diagnostically to determine areas with substandard performance and then study those areas to build base knowledge.

The new system is just a way to quantify the passing score for all the naysayers that claim the test is unfair. If you didnt meet the cut, you fail.

OP
OP
L

LeDD

Forum Probie
This new system doesn’t help students get a real idea about their performace, as each question isn’t assigned a static point value and you still have no real where your weak areas are.

I still suggest that students use test prep software diagnostically to determine areas with substandard performance and then study those areas to build base knowledge.

The new system is just a way to quantify the passing score for all the naysayers that claim the test is unfair. If you didnt meet the cut, you fail.
Fair, but was I at least close you think? Man it's so confusing lol

NomadicMedic

Fair, but was I at least close you think? Man it's so confusing lol
There’s no way to really tell.

It’s like “who’s line is it” the points don’t matter and the scores are made up.

It’s adaptive. You either meet the competence break score, or you don’t. You were 136 points off the mark. That doesn’t feel close.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
So you need 950 to pass, I got an 814, how far off was I from a passing grade?
Far enough that you didn't pass. If the score required to pass is 950 and you got 949, you still wouldn't have passed. As far as what you didn't get correct "enough" to not pass, who knows. Hopefully you'll get some kind of report that suggests the areas of study you will likely need.

OP
OP
L

LeDD

Forum Probie
Far enough that you didn't pass. If the score required to pass is 950 and you got 949, you still wouldn't have passed. As far as what you didn't get correct "enough" to not pass, who knows. Hopefully you'll get some kind of report that suggests the areas of study you will likely need.
Alright jeez

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Alright jeez
Fair enough!! In any event, it's been so long since I've done an NREMT written that they've probably revised the test and testing process at least a couple times since I took mine on paper... Mostly, for your sake, I hope that you get some kind of report that tells you basically what areas you need to work on for next time.

NomadicMedic

From the NREMT: If you do not pass the cognitive exam, we will post more information about your results to your account. Our system scores the exam as a whole. Your score will be presented on a scale from 100-1500. The passing point is indicated by a 950. Your score will be shown as a number on this scale, as well as on a graphical depiction. This will allow you to see how far your attempt was from the passing standard. This difference will allow you to determine how much more preparation you need for your next attempt.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If only there was already a widely used number or percentage scale that people knew which indicated how well they did on a test…