New EMT - What do you keep track of?

EMSComeLately

Forum Crew Member
I'm pleased to report that I'll be starting my first job as an EMT shortly, while finishing medic school. I searched the forums, but didn't find any answers.

I don't know if this is a standard practice or not, but I'm a bit curious if people in the field keep their own record of patient contacts for any future use, i.e. stats for the resume. Of course, I'm not suggesting that I'd keep anything that would violate any company policies or HIPAA, but anything simple, like number of calls by chief complaint, interventions, outcomes, etc?

Certainly, it'd be nice to not have to keep track of anything, but I'd hate to lose out on something if I'm asked by a future employer, "How many patients did you see last year?, How many times did you administer CPR?", etc.

Thoughts please?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I have never heard of a potential employer asking anything like that, and I hope to never hear of it happening.

I know of some people that keep a journal of interesting calls so they can look back on them as their career's progress.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The only time I have ever heard of a provide doing this was for ride out/internship time during EMT and medic school because it was required.

I would be surprised if a future employer wanted an exact number of things performed.

However with that all said most areas are using ePCR systems now. With a lot of these systems management (sometimes even crews) are able to pull up stats on calls interventions and success rates for those interventions.

Angel

Paramedic
fisdap but only during internship and ive never been asked this before. most only care about what kind of experience you have

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Our service kept IV/IO/ET/Rescue airway attemps and successful placement. If you didn't intubate 3 patients successfully in a year, you were off to the OR. However, that was tracked by the department. If you want to keep track of the good stuff, write a blog and change the identifying details.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
After medic school, I really haven't bothered to keep exact stats.