Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
That is exactly what your statement implied. I am actually going above and beyond what was required by posting the survey on this forum and gathering answers from medics in other states and regions. We were told to just survey our local departments.

I think this is part of the disconnect with you people. You're assuming you know exactly what the assignment required. We were not told to analyze previous research to draw conclusions. The point was to survey already working medical providers on an approved topic so that we could have some conversations about some contested topics.

Y'all are a hoot though. Truly a wealth of useless feedback.
You're sterling credentials are truly shining through. No one is attacking you, yet all you choose to do is come down on the people who are right to point out that the "survey" in question provides nearly nothing of use.

RocKetamine

Forum Crew Member
Not sure why it would be so hard to remake the survey to be less biased towards the answer you're looking for. Anyways, I've never used it for a diagnostic tool and it shouldn't be used as one.

OP
OP
A

Andrew Nelson

Forum Probie
Just as a starting point, Andrew- asking someone how many times in their career they have provided a therapy is a question which will be subject to a great deal of inaccuracy. This is called "recall bias." Unfortunately, your survey will be almost entirely composed of data which is made up by the people answering the question. That's not even a real survey, much less a study.

Maybe re-write focusing on providers' attitudes regarding narcan as a diagnostic tool, without asking the question "how many times have you ..."

This really could be a simple, easy survey reflecting people's attitudes about the practice. But you will need to spend a few minutes developing questions which actually lead to non-predetermined conclusions. This still should not take long.

Part of the pushback your are getting is about pride in the profession. If paramedicine is to move toward the arena of research and practice improvement, the onus is on the new generation to care about data collection and interpretation. And, you are part of the new generation. If you want to stay up to date in the field after certification, it would really be helpful to have some understanding of how to read and interpret basic research. Because the prehospital and emergency medicine literature is still very much in its infancy, this is an exciting time for EMS. I'm sorry if your instructor doesn't feel that way, but there are many, many medical directors in this country that do.

Definitely get the assignment done, but really this stuff is important and will only become more so in the future.

I genuinely appreciate your response. I was not trying to disrespect the veteran folks in the field. My push back was the insulting way in which many went about it. I practice common curtesy but respect is earned in my opinion, not a given.

In regards to the assignment, I really think there was/ is a misunderstanding on the depth and detail it was suppose to entail. I've always taken pride in being open to learning and listening to those wiser and more experienced than me but I cannot learn from belittling insults. You and one other responder have been the only ones to give actual constructive criticism so I sincerely thank you.

I will definitely be taking the time after I finish school to completely learn all there is to know about Narcan and the proper way to survey for this kind of research. It was not my intention to come off as biased. I had limited questions so I chose the ones that would be the most useful for completing the assignment.

As much as I know it will mean little via Internet text, I truly have a lot of respect for our profession and want to see it develop into the best it can be. I chose my career because I wanted to improve the lives of those around me and I now see that this will include aiding those who shape our practices so that we can appropriately evolve.

Cheers and be safe.

OP
OP
A

Andrew Nelson

Forum Probie
Developing your own research is very rare in any EMS course (or undergrad for that matter). It's for good reason, doing so is difficult and requires actually knowing how develop surveys and other data collection apparatuses. If in fact the assignment was to develop one's own data, that's absurd.

Being able to analyze studies is a big part of medicine, yet the OP seems to have no willingness to let us impose that point.

So then your issue is with the assignment. If I haven't made it clear already, I recognize the existence and relevance of previous studies. We were told to gather our own unique responses on a chosen topic and analyze them.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Lotta people playing holier than thou with this thread. Help him with his survey or don't
We are giving him advise to help with his survey. No one on this form wants to take a flawed survey.

OP
OP
A

Andrew Nelson

Forum Probie
Thanks for trying to help sack jears. These fellas just chose not to understand I was following specific instructions from my instructor.

I ended up with enough responses and got 100% on the assignment, a 95.59% for the third semester, and a 4.0 for the year. I guess I did something right.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    180.1 KB · Views: 250
  • image.png
    image.png
    167.6 KB · Views: 236

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
In general, good medics did well in school.

Doing well in school does not necessarily guarantee that you will be a good medic.

Cutting corners is one of those things that people can get away with for years.... until they don't.

While you may end up being a solid medic, the know-it-all attitude that you displayed here will be one of those X-factors which leads to strained relationships with preceptors, partners and patients. Getting good grades is the easy part.

Just my $0.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I'd have done your survey, but since I couldn't answer some of it I didn't. I get it. School is busy. I am in third semester too. But I have 5 minutes to correct a survey that could have led to an interesting discussion. I dont need a hand to count my diagnostic use of Narcan. I could use a hand to count the people I haven't given it to the past month alone who I knew had opiates in their system. I haven't really felt a need to try it yet just to see what happens.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
I could use a hand to count the people I haven't given it to the past month alone who I knew had opiates in their system. I haven't really felt a need to try it yet just to see what happens.
That's the point... you give Narcan when indicated. I don't give Narcan to reverse opiate OD; I give it to correct respiratory depression secondary to suspected opiate OD.

OP
OP
A

Andrew Nelson

Forum Probie
Congratulations. You sure showed us.
In general, good medics did well in school.

Doing well in school does not necessarily guarantee that you will be a good medic.

Cutting corners is one of those things that people can get away with for years.... until they don't.

While you may end up being a solid medic, the know-it-all attitude that you displayed here will be one of those X-factors which leads to strained relationships with preceptors, partners and patients. Getting good grades is the easy part.

Just my $0.02

Except that attitude wasn't displayed. I conceded that I made errors in the survey, recognized the study was not complete, and tried to convey that I was aware previous studies were relevant but that my teacher specified only wanting responses gathered by us for the assignment. I was very respectful to those who gave me actual constructive criticism. Read back through the thread if you'd like.

I appreciate your $0.02 and the concern. As I stated before, I do love our profession and respect the unique position were in as public servants. I'm sorry if some of my responses left a bad taste but I was not taught to take adversity lying down, on my back. You all would rather I just concede at every turn and just assume you all know best without question. Where's the growth in that?

I know they're just words because we can't convey things like work ethic and character over the Internet but I promise the profession is in good hands.

Have a nice Sunday, cheers.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks for trying to help sack jears. These fellas just chose not to understand I was following specific instructions from my instructor.

I ended up with enough responses and got 100% on the assignment, a 95.59% for the third semester, and a 4.0 for the year. I guess I did something right.
This unsuccessful attempt to show you were right is part of the attitude I am talking about... As you can see, no one is impressed.

Good job getting 100% "throw(ing) numbers on a paper with some words". You'll be fine.

OP
OP
A

Andrew Nelson

Forum Probie
This unsuccessful attempt to show you were right is part of the attitude I am talking about... As you can see, no one is impressed.

Good job getting 100% "throw(ing) numbers on a paper with some words". You'll be fine.

I was not trying to impress anyone. I've been trying to convey that I was following specific instructions this whole time. 100% means I followed them correctly. The rest was to prove that I didn't deserve to be spoken to like an idiot as many have done on this thread. Sticking up for yourself is now attitude? Thanks a lot Obama.

But I concede. I tried to make nice and you can't let it go.

Summit

Critical Crazy
I tried to make nice and you can't let it go.
weird political non sequitur aside

I came here to say you clearly haven't learned to eat crow, but you had better learn to let things go.

You will probably end up learning this the hard way. EMS will provide that experience.