My BIGGEST pet peeves

Blessed187

Forum Lieutenant
Did I say holding my hand bothers me? No.

I said don't squeeze it to death. Today someone dug their nails into my hand they were squeezing so hard. THAT does bother me, especially when it's over something so silly as "I was afraid I was going to fall off the locked in stretcher after being shown the rails, and the fact I am secure via 3 straps so everytime I think there MIGHT be a turn or bump I crush your hand because you were stupid enough to leave it in my reach."

And PS.. I am compassionate, I am respectful. I sat and ran a hand through a patient's hair for an HOUR trip because that's what calmed her down. I spent time cleaning up a dead body to make it presentable to family. But nowhere in my job description does it state I must hold a patients hand. That is an above and beyond thing and has no bearing as to whether I should be in EMS or not.

"I must cross the line often then, i will hold hands, sometimes without being asked. Ive also been known to run a hand through a patients hair. Touch shows them you care, caring makes them feel better. Your partner needs to gtfo of ems."

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
That was completely different and a different thread.

And WHERE did I say I minded holding a hand? Nowhere. Don't want it crushed.

325Medic

Forum Lieutenant
(1):Giving report and being interupted by the nurse in the process of giving said report.

(2):My partner not getting linens or blankets when he makes the cot. Yes folks...I like my patients, sick trauma patients to be warm.

(3):Dirty squads.

(4):The E.C.G. cables should not be tied OR bungled in a large heap of crap because you are lazy and want to go home @ the end of tour.

(5):people that don't further their education or at least study / review important info pertaining to the job.

I have more but will post later.

(6) Not covering my patients with blankets, especially when it is cold out.

(7) Looking like a slob. Lets face it... We are invited into a back bedroom of a second floor walk up, we see your nakedidity for lack of a better term, touch you and take care of you and you look like 5 pounds of chewed bubblegum? No liking that.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
"I must cross the line often then, i will hold hands, sometimes without being asked. Ive also been known to run a hand through a patients hair. Touch shows them you care, caring makes them feel better. Your partner needs to gtfo of ems."

You misinterpreted what she said, no need to start a fight over it.

Pet Peeve:

You called the ambulance and then whine about EVERY SINGLE thing I do (BP, pulse ox, IV).

When crews argue over the radio about who's going to take an IFT, then devise a plan to get out of it.

guttruck

Forum Crew Member
(6) Not covering my patients with blankets, especially when it is cold out.

(7) Looking like a slob. Lets face it... We are invited into a back bedroom of a second floor walk up, we see your nakedidity for lack of a better term, touch you and take care of you and you look like 5 pounds of chewed bubblegum? No liking that.

in regards to no. 1 .......a medic giving useless BS on reports lol......i just sit at the radio doing a /facepalm:ph34r:

Nerd13

Forum Lieutenant
Another one I remembered:

"When I called the ambulance this morning/last night/last week THEY didn't start an IV/put those stickers on me/put oxygen on me."

Elk Oil

Forum Crew Member
But nowhere in my job description does it state I must hold a patients hand. That is an above and beyond thing and has no bearing as to whether I should be in EMS or not.

Holy crow... holding someone's hand is above and beyond??? How low are your standards that you think this simple act is somehow overachieving?

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
Yeah it's above and beyond, it's not required or in protocol.

Do I do it? Absolutely. Do I want my hand crushed? Again, absolutely not. Like I said, no where is it required.

nwhitney

Forum Captain
Yeah it's above and beyond, it's not required or in protocol.

Do I do it? Absolutely. Do I want my hand crushed? Again, absolutely not. Like I said, no where is it required.

I'm honestly shocked that some folks are getting worked up over the fact that you would rather NOT be injured by a patient. Ridiculous.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
You too?

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Holy crow... holding someone's hand is above and beyond??? How low are your standards that you think this simple act is somehow overachieving?

Let's put it this way, how many EMS providers do you personally know that would hold/have held a patient's hand?

From the few I've seen, I'd say it's above and beyond. Unfortunately, that's the reality of it.

crazycajun

Forum Captain
Let's put it this way, how many EMS providers do you personally know that would hold/have held a patient's hand?

From the few I've seen, I'd say it's above and beyond. Unfortunately, that's the reality of it.

I as well as my partner and many others in my service do it all the time. If that is what it takes to calm the PT I am all for it.

Elk Oil

Forum Crew Member

Too true. I think so many people undervalue the small, compassionate acts we can do for our patients or they think doing such things are beneath them because it's not EMS or medicine.

It certainly is above and beyond for those who are jaded, cynical or caring. And for those of us who genuinely care, it's the least we should ever do.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Too true. I think so many people undervalue the small, compassionate acts we can do for our patients or they think doing such things are beneath them because it's not EMS or medicine.

It certainly is above and beyond for those who are jaded, cynical or caring. And for those of us who genuinely care, it's the least we should ever do.

I think you're missing the point. It doesn't matter if you're cynical, jaded, compassionate or "genuinely caring", the fact is that it's not something we have to do, ergo, it's above and beyond.

Btw, you might want to change that last sentence, it sounds pretty judgmental.

Sent from my mobile command center

Elk Oil

Forum Crew Member
I think you're missing the point. It doesn't matter if you're cynical, jaded, compassionate or "genuinely caring", the fact is that it's not something we have to do, ergo, it's above and beyond.

Btw, you might want to change that last sentence, it sounds pretty judgmental.

Whoops. Thanks for catching me on that. That last sentence should read:

"It certainly is above and beyond for those who are jaded, cynical or UNcaring."

I hope this doesn't turn into a discussion about the virtue of holding a patient's hand based on whether or not it's in our protocols. That would be silly.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Whoops. Thanks for catching me on that. That last sentence should read:

"It certainly is above and beyond for those who are jaded, cynical or UNcaring."

I hope this doesn't turn into a discussion about the virtue of holding a patient's hand based on whether or not it's in our protocols. That would be silly.

So anybody who doesn't, or doesn't want to hold a patients hand is cynical, jaded, or uncaring?

Elk Oil

Forum Crew Member
So anybody who doesn't, or doesn't want to hold a patients hand is cynical, jaded, or uncaring?

Seriously? Is that what you really though I meant? What I meant was that there are those who are so jaded, cynical or uncaring that they don't have the interest, inclination or compassion to hold someone's hand if that's what called for.

Don't you know any uncaring, burned out EMTs who have lost their sense of compassion? Or is everyone you know in the industry so wonderful and caring that they treat all their patients as if they were their mothers?

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Seriously? Is that what you really though I meant? What I meant was that there are those who are so jaded, cynical or uncaring that they don't have the interest, inclination or compassion to hold someone's hand if that's what called for.

Don't you know any uncaring, burned out EMTs who have lost their sense of compassion? Or is everyone you know in the industry so wonderful and caring that they treat all their patients as if they were their mothers?

That is absolutely what I took it as. Actually, the ones that I have worked with do treat their patients with care and compassion, but they also don't enjoy having their hands crushed...

Pet peeve to stay on topic:

People calling EMS for a fever, when the hospital is LITERALLY two blocks away

Last edited by a moderator:

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
People calling EMS for a fever, when the hospital is LITERALLY two blocks away

Ohhh, what about the laws that require MD offices to call EMS when they are in a medical building that is CONNECTED TO THE HOSPITAL BY A FREAKING SKYWALK!!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Ohhh, what about the laws that require MD offices to call EMS when they are in a medical building that is CONNECTED TO THE HOSPITAL BY A FREAKING SKYWALK!!

Skywalk really? I've have to do them across the street/ally way but not thru a skywalk.

That gives a whole new meaning to IFT.