My BIGGEST pet peeves

fafinaf

Forum Probie
If a patient wants to go to a hospital that is 30 minutes away because his insurance covers it, and there is a hospital that is 5 minutes away what do you do? you take him to his hospital. it's called customer service. it's called pleasing and satisfying the customer. it's how your company gets business and generates an income. that customer will tell someone about your service and so on. it is what you are paid to do. we are in the business of customer service. you can tell which companies train their employees to think like that and which companies don't. the companies that don't have 15 year old ambulances. the companies that don't, don't have many contracts. on the other hand, the companies that do (like mine) have over 100 ambulances and contracts in over 60 cities both 911 and IFT. The company that does train their employees to think about customer service have not 1 single ambulance older than 3 years old. companies that know how to please a customer stay in business for a long time and have an excellent reputation.

just sayin'... :) i love the company i work for and i love the values they instill in their employees. i couldn't be happier!

Last edited by a moderator:

fafinaf

Forum Probie
one of my partners would throw every bit of trash on the floor and leave it there aaaalllllllllll day long. It would tick me off. I'm fine if its a code or something, but other than that its just as easy to put it in a neat little pile or even the trash instead of throwing it all over the floor just to spend more time picking it all back up later!

that would be soooo annoying.. and dirty!

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Ohhh, what about the laws that require MD offices to call EMS when they are in a medical building that is CONNECTED TO THE HOSPITAL BY A FREAKING SKYWALK!!

I've done that one. More than once. Like....5 times acctually. At 3 different hospitals. What is really sad is that they all have different starting points too.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
If a patient wants to go to a hospital that is 30 minutes away because his insurance covers it, and there is a hospital that is 5 minutes away what do you do? you take him to his hospital. it's called customer service. it's called pleasing and satisfying the customer. it's how your company gets business and generates an income. that customer will tell someone about your service and so on. it is what you are paid to do. we are in the business of customer service. you can tell which companies train their employees to think like that and which companies don't. the companies that don't have 15 year old ambulances. the companies that don't, don't have many contracts. on the other hand, the companies that do (like mine) have over 100 ambulances and contracts in over 60 cities both 911 and IFT. The company that does train their employees to think about customer service have not 1 single ambulance older than 3 years old. companies that know how to please a customer stay in business for a long time and have an excellent reputation.

just sayin'... :) i love the company i work for and i love the values they instill in their employees. i couldn't be happier!

Uhm you dont judge a companys quality by something shallow like the age of their trucks.

Just a hunch but you seem new so i doubt you have many companies to compare it to.

And if taking him 30 minutes away leaves your response area uncovered you certainly do not take him when there is a reasonable alternative. EMS is not customer service, its health care.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Uhm you dont judge a companys quality by something shallow like the age of their trucks.

Just a hunch but you seem new so i doubt you have many companies to compare it to.

And if taking him 30 minutes away leaves your response area uncovered you certainly do not take him when there is a reasonable alternative. EMS is not customer service, its health care.

If you take him to hospital A instead of B because B accepts his insurance, he may not get as good care or as quick care because before any procedure, they have to call his insurance provider and ask if they will reimburse for it. Otherwise they have to ask the PT if they're willing to pay for that specific procedure. If they can't pay for it, they will deny the procedure and not get better. OTHERWISE, if you take them to their hospital that the insurance works with and has guidelines set for reimbursement, they will get much quicker and better care... Oh lets hope he doesn't need to be hospitalized at A, because most insurance will transfer you where that night so you get back in their system.

EMS = customer service. They pay for our service.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
If you take him to hospital A instead of B because B accepts his insurance, he may not get as good care or as quick care because before any procedure, they have to call his insurance provider and ask if they will reimburse for it. Otherwise they have to ask the PT if they're willing to pay for that specific procedure. If they can't pay for it, they will deny the procedure and not get better. OTHERWISE, if you take them to their hospital that the insurance works with and has guidelines set for reimbursement, they will get much quicker and better care... Oh lets hope he doesn't need to be hospitalized at A, because most insurance will transfer you where that night so you get back in their system.

EMS = customer service. They pay for our service.

If you take him to B and left your area uncovered and Mrs C dies of a heart attack because the closest ambulance was taking Mr D to where his insurance is, then what kind of customer service are you providing?

Sorry, if he needs to go to a certain hospital and isnt serious enough where they will call for insurance prior to treatment then he can drive himself. Plus insurances do have out of network rates.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Ohhh, what about the laws that require MD offices to call EMS when they are in a medical building that is CONNECTED TO THE HOSPITAL BY A FREAKING SKYWALK!!

I can't say I've had to do that, but then again, there's like one hospital in Oregon that actually has a skywalk :p Of course that's not the first time I've heard about something like that though :/

Ummmm, so customer service is your pet peeve?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

EMS isn't customer service, it's healthcare. Abused healthcare at that.

Where's the line drawn to going to a patients hospital? 45 miles? 60? 100? If a patient wants to go to a hospital 30 minutes away and you oblige, who are you to deny a patient who wants to go to a hospital 2 hours away?

If it was emergent enough to call 911 for an ambulance, it's emergent enough to go to the closest appropriate facility, end of discussion.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
EMS isn't customer service, it's healthcare. Abused healthcare at that.

Where's the line drawn to going to a patients hospital? 45 miles? 60? 100? If a patient wants to go to a hospital 30 minutes away and you oblige, who are you to deny a patient who wants to go to a hospital 2 hours away?

If it was emergent enough to call 911 for an ambulance, it's emergent enough to go to the closest appropriate facility, end of discussion.

100% agree

We're there to treat our patient, and pending extenuating circumstances, they will be taken to the closest appropriate hospital. If they don't like that, then too bad, I'm not going to take an ambulance out of service any longer than necessary just because they want to go to another hospital.

This is not Burger King, you can't have it your way all the time.

Sent from my mobile command center

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
The only time a patients "hospital" comes in to my mind is when the call to 911 matches their history. If a lung cancer patient is coughing up blood, ok, we'll go to your cancer hospital. However, if you broke your toe, your lung cancer has NO bearing on how your toe will be treated, and your oncologist will NOT see you, so we're going to the closest hospital.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
The only time a patients "hospital" comes in to my mind is when the call to 911 matches their history. If a lung cancer patient is coughing up blood, ok, we'll go to your cancer hospital. However, if you broke your toe, your lung cancer has NO bearing on how your toe will be treated, and your oncologist will NOT see you, so we're going to the closest hospital.

I love the "my doctors at so and so hospital" oh is he meeting you im the er? No? Then the other hospital will be just fine.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I love the "my doctors at so and so hospital" oh is he meeting you im the er? No? Then the other hospital will be just fine.

I get that all the time..

"My doctor is at the hospital and they have all my information"

"Sir, your doctor doesn't work in the ER and will not see you at 2am for an impacted bowel. You'll be seen by whatever ER doc walks in. This other hospital is part of the same hospital system, they have your information too."

People just are not logical.

Epi-do

I see dead people
I could only hope that there were times I could take people to the closest facility. We transport to the facility of choice, unless there is a reason to go to a closer, appropriate facility. (i.e. All our STEMIs go to the heart hospital that is only 10 minutes away, rather than one of the other heart centers, but the back pain for 3 weeks that hasn't changed, hasn't filled the prescription for muscle relaxers, taken any OTC anti-inflamatories, or called the GP back for a follow-up appt gets to go to whatever ER they choose. The only exception being if the chosen ER is on diversion.)

JPINFV

Gadfly

...and now the ED has to transfer the patient to their home hospital upon admission so that the patients insurance and physician can treat them, which then leads to the ED not being able to turn over beds as fast as they could, which leads to ambulance crews holding the wall and complaining about how stupid their patient is for wanting to go to the hospital 10 minutes further away and how stupid the hospital is for not being able to get them a bed in an hour because of the patients who they are waiting to transfer to their home hospital because the ambulance crews only want to transport to the closest hospital, where they get to hold the wall.

/run-on sentence.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
...and now the ED has to transfer the patient to their home hospital upon admission so that the patients insurance and physician can treat them, which then leads to the ED not being able to turn over beds as fast as they could, which leads to ambulance crews holding the wall and complaining about how stupid their patient is for wanting to go to the hospital 10 minutes further away and how stupid the hospital is for not being able to get them a bed in an hour because of the patients who they are waiting to transfer to their home hospital because the ambulance crews only want to transport to the closest hospital, where they get to hold the wall.

/run-on sentence.

If it's a medically necessary transport, then they need to go to the closest appropriate hospital, and the insurance company will pay.

If it's not a medically necessary transport, they don't need to be taking an ambulance in the first place.

JPINFV

Gadfly
If it's a medically necessary transport, then they need to go to the closest appropriate hospital, and the insurance company will pay.

If it's not a medically necessary transport, they don't need to be taking an ambulance in the first place.

I'm not talking about the ambulance company getting paid, and just because the insurance company will pay part of the hospital bill doesn't mean that they pay all of the bill, or even as much as they would for an in-network hospital. This is especially true when the ED patient becomes an in-patient. Besides, if the transport is medically necessary, then the patient is an in-patient. Since the home hospital is the patient's most appropriate hospital, it is now the closest appropriate hospital unless other issues are present. It's hard to justify that an extra 10 minutes is going to matter either for the patient's condition or for the ambulance crew.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
I'm not talking about the ambulance company getting paid, and just because the insurance company will pay part of the hospital bill doesn't mean that they pay all of the bill, or even as much as they would for an in-network hospital. This is especially true when the ED patient becomes an in-patient. Besides, if the transport is medically necessary, then the patient is an in-patient. Since the home hospital is the patient's most appropriate hospital, it is now the closest appropriate hospital unless other issues are present. It's hard to justify that an extra 10 minutes is going to matter either for the patient's condition or for the ambulance crew.

So you would rather take an ambulance out of service for an hour or more to transfer a stable patient to a facility when transfering them to a closer facility would be adequate?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
You're confusing financially appropriate for medically appropriate.

A patients insurance might be accepted at hospital A and not hospital B, but if hospital B is a cath lab and the hospital A is not, then going to hospital A is not smart OR appropriate when the patient needs a cath lab.

Plus you keep saying 10 minutes. 10 minutes is a non-issue. We're speaking of the ones that want a 1+ hour transport when another appropriate facility is much closer. Another truck in our county had a patient the other day request to be taken to a hospital 1.5 hours away. That's retarded.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
We are not even talking about ten minutes further, thats fine... but half an hour? Where do you draw the line? "oh i live in gains

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
We are not even talking about ten minutes further, thats fine... but half an hour? Where do you draw the line? "oh i live in gainsville but i was visitimg here, i want to go to my hospital in gainsville two hours away"