My BIGGEST pet peeves

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
Hate being told by citizens that we shouldn't be: shopping, eating, ordering etc;
I actually told a person one day (who got mad at me about being at McD's on a 72 hour shift); that if he thought I should be out saving lives 'to go run in front of a bus'.

It is fun to get chewed out by management when they can't stop laughing.

Most people love us. They ask all sorts of questions. Never got anyone ticked cause we are eating.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
While standing in line to get some food

"So... what happened over at (obscure address I've never been to in my life)"

1. I don't know
2. If I did I wouldn't tell you.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
If i am sleeping in the truck dont come and tap on my window for directions.

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
So when you drop patients off you pull the sheet from under them and the blanket off the top?

No we use paper sheets for the stretcher, and then yes we take them off and i shove them into a cabinet til end of shift

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
If i am sleeping in the truck dont come and tap on my window for directions.

Dont come to my ambulance station asking for directions as I'm probably sleeping.

If the garage door to the ambulance bay is open, you are NOT allowed to just walk in to the station like it's some public building: It's not. It's my house and you must be invited before you step foot inside, or else you'll get a nasty look and a stern "Can I help you?"... not much else because I have to be "nice".

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The backend of my 36 hour shift, if you clearly see that we are sleeping in the ambulance please do not walk up and bang on the window to make sure we are still alive. I like the concern you showed but I need some sleep.

Don't tap on the window and ask if we can give you morphine. Walk out infront of a car and then maybe you will get some painkillers.

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
That's dumb.

I don't know of a single agency that doesn't grab sheets from a hospital when dropping off a patient, and I don't know a single hospital who doesn't allow it.

There's a hospital in Louisville that dyed all of their sheets a non-white color and will NOT let EMS take them -- they claim they have a special elevated thread count. It may be simply apocryphal but I've had crews tell me of nurses making the ambulance turn around (with the pt still on board) to return the sheets.

Epi-do

I see dead people
I am not a maid at an upscale hotel that offers turn down services. (Yep, been called to tuck a frequent flier into bed.)

I am also not a meteorologist or traffic reporter. (Didn't realize there was any confusion until we were called by the family who had just driven home from another town to give them a weather and road conditions report before they decided if they wanted to take their baby to the doctor.)

And last but not least, I am not an insurance agent or police officer (even though I do wear a navy blue uniform). (Apparently, if you do not know how to fill out the mandatory proof of insurance form from the state of Indiana after being involved in an MVC over 8 hours ago, you call 911 and request an ambulance rather than call PD's nonemergency number or going to your insurance agent's office - which you have to do anyway, to give them the form so they can fill out their portion and return it to the state.)

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
Don't hand me vitals when I'm talking to a nurse!

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Not getting to do crew workouts when it gets busy :p

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Don't hand me vitals when I'm talking to a nurse!

Why not? If my partner's giving report to a nurse at triage, I grab a set of vitals, either copying them off our monitor, or getting my own (or taking a temp) using hospital equipment. The nurse is going to ask for a recent set, and i'm giving them to you on a neat 3x5 card. You might not be at that point in your report yet (or the nurse on that screen), but at least they know they're there...

OP
OP
Sasha

Sasha

Forum Chief
Because that is when he tried to start the "The patient has a...." while I was still in the middle of getting report. The nurse is hard to track down and corner for a report, once she gets away because I have to stop and listen to you, she might not come back.

Vitals can wait. Report can't.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Because that is when he tried to start the "The patient has a...." while I was still in the middle of getting report. The nurse is hard to track down and corner for a report, once she gets away because I have to stop and listen to you, she might not come back.

Vitals can wait. Report can't.

I can so picture this as some sort of hunting show. "Ain't she a beut? Charge nurses can be hard to find, and even harder to trap. We have to be really quiet while stalking her and moving between gurney bays, least she takes flight to the break room."

Nerd13

Forum Lieutenant
I really hate how there is apparently no appropriate speed for us to drive to an emergency. The patient complains about how long it took for us to get there and the citizens complain that we were driving too fast through town. I actually had someone tell us one time that if he saw us driving that fast (lights and sirens) again he would pull out in front of us. All of this for the company approved speed with due regard for the safety of others.

"Why didn't you do x, y or z before bringing them in?" from nurses when you were literally a block away.

I really hate it when I give a radio report and apparently nobody ever bothers to listen to it because I have to do it all over again when I get there.

It's always fantastic when you drive priority to a scene and walk in to find the pt on the phone (not with the dispatcher) laughing and requesting that you wait a few minutes so they can finish their conversation.

Home health care that calls and then has no idea what's really wrong with the pt or why they called us.

"Do I HAVE to go to the hospital?" You don't HAVE to do anything but you did call an ambulance so what did you expect would happen when we got there?

Finally, the well known and loved "I said I had chest pain so you would get here faster but really my stomach hurts". This phenomenon presents itself in a multitude of ways also including "If I have chest pain do I get seen before everyone else?".

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
Finally, the well known and loved "I said I had chest pain so you would get here faster but really my stomach hurts". This phenomenon presents itself in a multitude of ways also including "If I have chest pain do I get seen before everyone else?".

I have a frequent flyer in my area that does this all the time. We went on him 3 times in one shift, day shift went on him 2 times in their shift. He calls for chest pain all the time, and we usually walk in saying, "So what's wrong now, Mr. ****? Belly pain? Foot pain? Constipation?" And those are his 3 main complaints. The only times we don't say that is when our supervisor is on scene, and we have to be nice. :glare:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It's always fantastic when you drive priority to a scene and walk in to find the pt on the phone (not with the dispatcher) laughing and requesting that you wait a few minutes so they can finish their conversation.

That's when I stop with my nice guy attitude. I make them say bye and hang up the phone.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
When you actually improve the patients condition prior to arriving at the hospital and the nurse says "well, they don't look that bad, I don't what you guys were worried about." <_<

325Medic

Forum Lieutenant
(1):Giving report and being interupted by the nurse in the process of giving said report.

(2):My partner not getting linens or blankets when he makes the cot. Yes folks...I like my patients, sick trauma patients to be warm.

(3):Dirty squads.

(4):The E.C.G. cables should not be tied OR bungled in a large heap of crap because you are lazy and want to go home @ the end of tour.

(5):people that don't further their education or at least study / review important info pertaining to the job.

I have more but will post later.

325Medic

Forum Lieutenant
(1):Giving report and being interupted by the nurse in the process of giving said report.

(2):My partner not getting linens or blankets when he makes the cot. Yes folks...I like my patients, sick trauma patients to be warm.

(3):Dirty squads.

(4):The E.C.G. cables should not be tied OR bungled in a large heap of crap because you are lazy and want to go home @ the end of tour.

(5):people that don't further their education or at least study / review important info pertaining to the job.

I have more but will post later.

W.T.F. is that with the smilies. I did not put that there and cannot get rid of it!

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
W.T.F. is that with the smilies. I did not put that there and cannot get rid of it!

get rid of the : after each number
: D without the space is :D
: P without the space is :p