Movie Marathon Thread

VentMonkey

Family Guy
When your 12 year old can’t stop laughing at the fight scene in the forest scene from Monty Python’s Holy Grail, and your 4 year old sits through and approves of The Princess Bride…

…yup, there is hope yet for this generation.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Going old school Jackie Chan today while waiting to get my AC fixed: Project A, Project A2, and both Drunken Master movies

VentMonkey

Family Guy
R.I.P. Carl Weathers. Prompt time to introduce the boy to the Rocky Saga.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
RIP Toby Keith. Today's movie is "Beer for My Horses"

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So Dune Part 1 was playing on the tv last night on shift (and we were able to watch the whole thing uninterrupted). Both the other FFs at the station wanted to watch it because they had both just seen Part 2 in theaters the day before (I hadn't watched Part 1 since it was in theaters originally). So... since I'm back at that same station tomorrow, I decided to go catch Part 2 in theater today on my off day.

And then for the **** and giggles, I watched the 1984 version on streaming tonight afterwards lol (LOTS of Dune lately....)

Overall I liked the newer movies. The OG one is interesting though. Some scenes that weren't in the newer ones, but overall the style changes I like the newer ones, but at like 2hr 40 min each, a bit of a long story in Parts 1 and 2, vs 2hr 20min for the 1984 version is a lot more concise. Def felt like I was watching an abriged version (especially the back half/Part 2). Like the Freman def got some much needed fleshing out as characters (individually and as a faction as a whole), 2hrs vs 5 hrs... def feel like the story could be told with a bit of a middle ground in overall length.

Though I haven't actually read the novel itself, so I can't fully compare either version tot he book, but if I had to pick for a rewatch, I'd take the newer Part 1 and 2...

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
So Dune Part 1 was playing on the tv last night on shift (and we were able to watch the whole thing uninterrupted). Both the other FFs at the station wanted to watch it because they had both just seen Part 2 in theaters the day before (I hadn't watched Part 1 since it was in theaters originally). So... since I'm back at that same station tomorrow, I decided to go catch Part 2 in theater today on my off day.

And then for the **** and giggles, I watched the 1984 version on streaming tonight afterwards lol (LOTS of Dune lately....)

Overall I liked the newer movies. The OG one is interesting though. Some scenes that weren't in the newer ones, but overall the style changes I like the newer ones, but at like 2hr 40 min each, a bit of a long story in Parts 1 and 2, vs 2hr 20min for the 1984 version is a lot more concise. Def felt like I was watching an abriged version (especially the back half/Part 2). Like the Freman def got some much needed fleshing out as characters (individually and as a faction as a whole), 2hrs vs 5 hrs... def feel like the story could be told with a bit of a middle ground in overall length.

Though I haven't actually read the novel itself, so I can't fully compare either version tot he book, but if I had to pick for a rewatch, I'd take the newer Part 1 and 2...
I'd be curious as to your opinion on the Sci-Fi channel mini-series that was pretty accurate to the book.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief

Sting in his undies. Says all you need to know about how bad 1984 was. Lynch did the book no favors. It’s silly.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Sting in his undies. Says all you need to know about how bad 1984 was. Lynch did the book no favors. It’s silly.
I liked Jurgen Prochnow in it, along with Patrick Stewart but that's about it.

I remember when it came out they were talking about what a big deal it was to get thr movie made because the special effects were so difficult and previous attempts to make the movie had failed miserably.

COVA2006

Forum Probie
Strange Brew is a classic! I like Red Green. I started Dark Wind, it's pretty good. Doesn't follow the original book series though. Lord of the Rings trilogy is a good one as well.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I've read Dune, Dune Messiah, and Children of Dune. I've also seen the '84 Lynch movie, most of the 2000 miniseries, and the "current" movies Dune and Dune 2. The mini series was reasonably faithful to the books. It was also very long.... The Lynch movie abridged a lot and took some liberties with some things compared to the book. For the most part, I thought the new movies were actually quite good. I only have a couple of issues with them. I can understand why those choices were made, but I think a couple of small things could have made Dune 2 (in particular) would have made it better. Alia was the "abomination" not Paul. She should have been "allowed" to have been born. While the Fremen were excellent fighters already, it took Paul and Jessica a few short years to teach the Fremen the Wierding Way, which made them nearly unstoppable. Having Princess Irulan make a journal entry stating some thing like "... in the few years since, the following stuff happened..." and in 20-30 seconds, you've jumped several years and explained away a lot. Chani wasn't disillusioned with Paul. She was very much his life partner but also a very strong character in her own right. Alia, in particular, could have been simply introduced very late in the last scenes where confronts the Emperor, the Baron, and Reverend Mother... and surprises them all with the fact that this little Fremen kid is Paul's little sister.

With Chani leaving quickly, Alia not being born, that does set up some challenges for the next Dune movie. I'm sure it'll still be done very well and will be quite enjoyable. Unfortunately much will have to be explained as to how Chani eventually has kids with Paul... Of course Paul is also a father figure to Jamis's kids, but those kids aren't from Paul's bloodline.

Still, overall, I thought both of the Dune movies were very well done and pacing was so good that both movies, as long as they were, kept me in my seat and engaged the entire time.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Getting ready for dune on Friday - no spoilers!

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader