Min of 2 on Ambulance

RB24

Forum Ride Along
Where do I find the national standard that states there is a requirement of two on an ambulance?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I think that might vary by state. Do you mean two licensed personnel? Or simply two people?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
You kinda have to have two people...otherwise who is going to drive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

RB24

Forum Ride Along
Just simply two people. I thought it was nfpa or nhtsa, but can't find it.

OP
OP
R

RB24

Forum Ride Along
I'm sure there's a state standard. I live in California. I know for sure there is a national standard though. Just can't remember where I read it.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
If you're talking about simply two people as you state, then the answer is self explanatory and shouldn't need to be codified in law or regulation. One attendant, one driver. Without a care attendant of one level or another, you're not an ambulance, you're a taxi. With a care attendant and no driver, you're a first aid tent with square wheels.

Now, two providers becomes a state issue. What legally defines an ambulance varies. In Ma, you need at least two basics. FRs don't count for staffing. In Nh, you need two licenses, one of which has to be at least EMT. they license FRs, so an EMT and a FR make a legal truck, with the EMT attending all calls.

Bottom line, there doesn't exist a federal standard that I'm aware of to answer your question; and potentially several variations on the theme across the country.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Where do I find the national standard that states there is a requirement of two on an ambulance?

You won't as it doesn't exist. It is a State issue and varies by state.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
As stated, it is state issue. The minimum requirement in Colorado for the ambulance's driver is a driver's license. Our third out ambulance is staffed with a single paramedic. In the event that someone from fire or PD/SO can drive, we can and have used bystanders. It hasn't happened in a very long time and I will do everything in my power never to allow out, but it doesn't violate the law.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
State issue, as everybody has said. There is a Medicare standard, as well, requiring at least two people on a BLS amvulance, one of which must be an EMT, and the same for ALS but the provider needs to be an AEMT or medic

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Epi, you raise a different topic. Medicare/insurance standard...if you want to BILL for services and qualify as an ambulance, then yes you need two people.

However, as a responding ambulance...and what qualifies...state issue.