Medlife Ambulance is a great company to work for!

Today is the day this company finds out if they won their appeal or not.

Are you serious? Can you fill us in on what's going on?

Metro EMS News

Forum Crew Member
AmeriPride-
I would also like to hear what happened to MedLife at the hearing. From the previous post, it sounds like the decision for MedLife has been postponed. Was there any rationale discussed at the hearing?
How about the other companies on the agenda as well. What were their outcomes?
Thanks!

AmeriPride

Forum Crew Member
AmeriPride-
I would also like to hear what happened to MedLife at the hearing. From the previous post, it sounds like the decision for MedLife has been postponed. Was there any rationale discussed at the hearing?
Thanks!

To be honest, I don't feel comfortable discussing details about companies who I compete with in the same marketplace. It's not my place. County will reveal all their decisions in due time.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
AmeriPride-
Thanks!

While i didn't attend the hearing, I can make very educated guess on what happened. Adult Medical Transportation, Inc likely got their license denied. Their application summery looks much worse compare to medlife or elite. They likely have appealed and will get a stay. Mercy Ambulance was just ownership changed and seems like a clear approval. Script medical transit seems to be qualified as ambulate so likely got approval.

Metro EMS News

Forum Crew Member
I'm surprised to hear that a decision has yet to be reached with MedLife. While any appeals needs to be carefully considered, it seems the lengthy appeals process only hurts current personnel of the company, and competitors looking at their stake within the industry.
I'm aware of AMT's application summary, and can only speculate on a rejection gauging from the mere content of material examined.
Mercy and Script seem like no-brainers based upon the application summaries.
Is there anyone else who attended the meeting and can shed some light?
Thank you.

SkaMedic

Forum Probie
I'm surprised to hear that a decision has yet to be reached with MedLife. While any appeals needs to be carefully considered, it seems the lengthy appeals process only hurts current personnel of the company, and competitors looking at their stake within the industry.
I'm aware of AMT's application summary, and can only speculate on a rejection gauging from the mere content of material examined.
Mercy and Script seem like no-brainers based upon the application summaries.
Is there anyone else who attended the meeting and can shed some light?
Thank you.

I was at all of medlife's hearings, including the appeal. At the latest one, the board brought up the fact that Ambu Life had responded to a call that should have been referred to 911, got in an accident in which the patient was killed. They believe that the Ambu Life management team is still the manage gears at MedLife. It is the same issues they had at their first hearing which I figured would have been off limits since they won their appeal. I think it was very unfair of the licensing board to make them wait for a decision after everything they have been through.
AMT had an equally hard time at the hearing. There were questions about someone on their management team. The EMS agency did a background check and found that one of the managers possibly lied about his experience. He said he worked as an EMT in 2005 but they found that he didn't get his initial EMT until 2010 and when they called his past companies for references, the companies either didn't exist or deny that he ever worked there. The approval or denial is pending until AMT provides financials for the past year and they must provide supporting documentation proving the work history of the manager. Again, I feel bad for the employees who have to wait for a decision.

I ran into one of my old partners at the hearing who is a manager at Elite. She said that part of Elite's fleet now have the LA County stickers on them which is a complete 180 compared to a few months ago. They are also hiring a lot of EMT's too.

Was anyone else there that has additional information or insight?

I am wondering, since every one of the companies had issues with their management, do you think that a business license should be denied based on management's experience, past, present or lack of in the ambulance industry?

Leirsyn

Forum Probie
hey Ska, does it really matter if an ambulance company gets their la county license application denied? Can't the company still run legally with their la city stickers?

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
hey Ska, does it really matter if an ambulance company gets their la county license application denied? Can't the company still run legally with their la city stickers?

Negative. Effective last year LA County put in place a policy that ALL ambulance companies have to have their LA County license to operate. Even in LA city, that is why all these companies are going to hearings now

Leirsyn

Forum Probie
Negative. Effective last year LA County put in place a policy that ALL ambulance companies have to have their LA County license to operate. Even in LA city, that is why all these companies are going to hearings now

Then I dont see why its a big deal if these denied ambulance companies are still running if theyre given the chance to reapply and appeal?

SkaMedic

Forum Probie
Then I dont see why its a big deal if these denied ambulance companies are still running if theyre given the chance to reapply and appeal?

Alpha was denied and I don't believe they appealed. The first to appeal was MedLife and the appeals officer referred it back to the licensing board. After Elite was denied, the appeals officer reversed the licensing board's decision and granted their license right away. Based on the reasons for denial and fairness of the hearing, there is a few things that the hearing officer can do if the company does appeal. The appeal process is VERY expensive and doesn't guarantee a positive outcome. So far we have seen 2 of the larger companies go through this process but a company with 5 ambulances won't be able to afford the appeal process. Also, this ordinance is fairly new so the licensing board has been making mistakes which have become the basis for appeals. Once the board learns from their mistakes, there will be less grounds for appeal.

So per LA County EMS website, Medlife was denied yet again in it's futile quest for licensure. Their appeal is being considered at this time. Why people would stay aboard this sinking ship is beyond me.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
So per LA County EMS website, Medlife was denied yet again in it's futile quest for licensure. Their appeal is being considered at this time. Why people would stay aboard this sinking ship is beyond me.

I find it kind of funny the way the process is going. Medlife filed for county license as they were required and got denied. So they appealed and it appeal officer sent it back to the county ems board which again denied. So now it's going back to appeal officer? What keeps appeal officer from sending it back to ems board? It seems like it's going in circle. The appeal officer should be required to either grant the appeal or deny it. Not do this in circle we go thing.

I find it kind of funny the way the process is going. Medlife filed for county license as they were required and got denied. So they appealed and it appeal officer sent it back to the county ems board which again denied. So now it's going back to appeal officer? What keeps appeal officer from sending it back to ems board? It seems like it's going in circle. The appeal officer should be required to either grant the appeal or deny it. Not do this in circle we go thing.

That's ridiculous.....wonder how much longer this is going to drag out.

Looks like June 18 is the day we find out.

toyskater86

Forum Lieutenant
i just want this company to be shut down and have all of their bs dialysis patinets be taken by proper transport......Private Auto!!

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
i just want this company to be shut down and have all of their bs dialysis patinets be taken by proper transport......Private Auto!!

Do you really this will happen? If medlife is shutdown, this people will be transported but other company's. Nothing will change for this people.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

We don't do dialysis transports but there are plenty of patients that cannot be transported by private auto, for a number of reasons, so BLS ambulance transport is a necessity.