Matt Walsh wrecks this dude who claims to be an EMT

Summit

Critical Crazy
someone with a history of making what I would deem to be prejudiced comments
Again with ad homs. He is prejudiced. He is a bigot. Is he really? If so how? Or are those labels just what his opponents resort to calling him for either daring to disagree, or when they fail at a rational debate as in the video posted in order to discredit him so that rational caring people like you will not give his arguments credence? Have you personally established he is a prejudicial bigot or have you inadvertently picked up on the ad hom labels applied by his offended ideological opponents?

Last edited:

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I don’t think you read a single thing I posted.
No, I read everything you said... And I chose not to go into your ad hominem claims, but rather tried to get you to actually defend your position, something you still haven't done.
And no, calling out the RP's poor choice of titling is not an ad hominem attack.
I never said it was... however, all of your statements about Mr. Walsh are ad hominem attacks.

Also, the person who started this thread identifies as intersex.... They chose the post title; are you really telling a member of the LGBTQ+ community what they should write on a topic that is likely very personal to them? Do you realize how dehumanizing and anti-LGBTQ that is?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Again with ad homs. He is prejudiced. He is a bigot. Is he really? If so how? Or are those labels just what his opponents resort to calling him for either daring to disagree, or when they fail at a rational debate as in the video posted in order to discredit him so that rational caring people like you will not give his arguments credence? Have you personally established he is a prejudicial bigot or have you inadvertently picked up on the ad hom labels applied by his offended ideological opponents?
Based on the quotes I have read from him and episodes I have watched, I have deemed him prejudiced. It’s not an ad hominem attack on him. I read it, that’s the conclusion that I came to. Lots of people share that opinion. Other people do not. I don’t care what you (plurally) think of him.

In general, appealing to a source that is found incendiary by many is not a path to a productive discussion.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
No, I read everything you said... And I chose not to go into your ad hominem claims, but rather tried to get you to actually defend your position, something you still haven't done.

I never said it was... however, all of your statements about Mr. Walsh are ad hominem attacks.

Also, the person who started this thread identifies as intersex.... They chose the post title; are you really telling a member of the LGBTQ+ community what they should write on a topic that is likely very personal to them? Do you realize how dehumanizing and anti-LGBTQ that is?
There is nothing anti LGBTQ about my comments regarding a poor choice of title and I absolutely will not be engaging with anyone whose only strategy is to gaslight.

I’ve said my piece, I have no further interest in discussing this issue with you.

Last edited:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Based on the quotes I have read from hi
In genral, appealing to a source that is found incendiary by many is not a path to a productive discussion.
Neither is ignoring the substance of their points simply because of personal viewpoints on the source.

That seems to be a more frequent problem in today's society...dismissing valid points and discussion topics because of who presents them and how that person is viewed.

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
Here is an interesting concept I feel is relevant to this thread.

Personal disclosure: I hate Matt Walsh with a passion, due to my background of being raised/socialized as a girl by people who buy into the type of hateful vitriol he spouts. I identify as nonbinary in terms of gender. There are many thoughtful commentators on issues of gender identity, Matt Walsh is not it. I don't engage with his content any more to save my mental energy, which I think is a common experience.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Here is an interesting concept I feel is relevant to this thread.

Personal disclosure: I hate Matt Walsh with a passion, due to my background of being raised/socialized as a girl by people who buy into the type of hateful vitriol he spouts. I identify as nonbinary in terms of gender. There are many thoughtful commentators on issues of gender identity, Matt Walsh is not it. I don't engage with his content any more to save my mental energy, which I think is a common experience.
It could be sealioning or it could be the questions asked are ignored and remain unanswered.

I'm seeing a lot of inflammatory descriptions being tossed around in this thread (such as bigot) without much addressing of the underlying questions and issues.

Last edited:

ChristopherM

Forum Crew Member
I know EMS is typically a right wing profession but I find it quite unprofessional that the OP intentionally misgenders a fellow EMT in the title of this thread. I have always enjoyed reading through threads here and had an account years ago. Very sad to see basic civility is worth so little.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I know EMS is typically a right wing profession but I find it quite unprofessional that the OP intentionally misgenders a fellow EMT in the title of this thread. I have always enjoyed reading through threads here and had an account years ago. Very sad to see basic civility is worth so little.
Isn't that part of the issue though? One side is attempting to define what is "civil" by completing redefining a term that has meant something else for a very long time, while the other views it as an attempt to dictate what others say and do based merely on what the they claim they are at that moment.

Confusing the issue even further is that there are some who want their claimed gender to be treated no differently than the biological gender they claim, which presents several social and medical issues that our society is still trying to come to grips with.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I think civility still means what it's called in my dictionary: courteous behavior. But the value of civility is another matter. I think civility is largely considered less important in U.S. society than it was, say, 20 years ago. I hope I'm wrong about that.

The way the OP presented this thread -- demeaning and clickbait-y -- competes with so much other discourteous behavior online, I barely noticed it until this discussion began. That's not good.

ChristopherM

Forum Crew Member
Isn't that part of the issue though? One side is attempting to define what is "civil" by completing redefining a term that has meant something else for a very long time, while the other views it as an attempt to dictate what others say and do based merely on what the they claim they are at that moment.

Confusing the issue even further is that there are some who want their claimed gender to be treated no differently than the biological gender they claim, which presents several social and medical issues that our society is still trying to come to grips with.
I have never met a trans person who confuses biological sex and gender identity including several medical professionals of various disciplines. For me it is quite simple. I will address you by whatever pronouns you prefer. If you say you are a man , a woman , neither etc I am just fine with that. Humans are complex creatures. Trans and non binary people owe no one an explanation. The comfort and sensibilities of conservatives don’t matter to me at all. Sadly this is nothing new. I just recently listened to co workers laughing about “trannies “ and casually discussing how disgusting trans people were, that all trans kids must have been abused. Again EMS is deeply right wing so I understand I am vastly outnumbered and no one will care. I just thought the thread title was a bit much even for an EMS forum.

The real life effect , I would never tell anyone at work I was not straight or introduce them to my family. I love prehospital medicine but quite clearly the family and community that exists is not for us. I don’t go out for drinks after a stressful shift , I am careful to never relate any truly personal stories or share anything real. Any assistance with stress and burnout is found elsewhere. You have to be stupid to trust those that hate you.

Last edited:

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I have never met a trans person who confuses biological sex and gender identity including several medical professionals of various disciplines. For me it is quite simple. I will address you by whatever pronouns you prefer. If you say you are a man , a woman , neither etc I am just fine with that. Humans are complex creatures. Trans and non binary people owe no one an explanation. The comfort and sensibilities of conservatives don’t matter to me at all. Sadly this is nothing new. I just recently listened to co workers laughing about “trannies “ and casually discussing how disgusting trans people were, that all trans kids must have been abused. Again EMS is deeply right wing so I understand I am vastly outnumbered and no one will care. I just thought the thread title was a bit much even for an EMS forum.
You've generalized about EMS being right-wing a couple of times. I think such a broad, unsupported statement about a large and diverse group of people conflicts with your reminder that humans are complex creatures.

ChristopherM

Forum Crew Member
You've generalized about EMS being right-wing a couple of times. I think such a broad, unsupported statement about a large and diverse group of people conflicts with your reminder that humans are complex creatures.
That is a fair point, it was an unsupported generalization. That has been my personal experience and overall impression but I certainly have not studied the issue formally.

ChristopherM

Forum Crew Member
Certainly. This thread contains support for Matt Walsh as a reasonable actor and a trans woman and fellow EMT being called a dude. I think there are a variety of biases on display. But again, I certainly come with mine.

Last edited:

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Perhaps if the OP, who has a history of posting things that are not what they seem, might cease. There have been complaints over the years.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Perhaps if the OP, who has a history of posting things that are not what they seem, might cease. There have been complaints over the years.
Once we go down the road of only judging speech based solely upon who makes it and not the content of the speech, we're in trouble as a society. After all, nothing is going to guarantee that the speakers and the speech you support today won't be on the receiving end of that type of treatment in the future.

That's not to say opinions on the speaker aren't valid or even wrong, but you don't change opinions by attacking the speaker and not the argument.

Summit

Critical Crazy
We are in trouble already because speech and art is now evaluated by the least charitable interpretation of the most easily offended.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
The comfort and sensibilities of conservatives don’t matter to me at all. Sadly this is nothing new.
You are a liberal, and the "comfort and sensibilities of conservatives don’t matter to me at all." So, why should the "comfort and sensibilities" of a liberal matter to any non-liberals at all? Do you not see the hypocrisy you are displaying?
Again EMS is deeply right wing so I understand I am vastly outnumbered and no one will care. I just thought the thread title was a bit much even for an EMS forum.

The real life effect , I would never tell anyone at work I was not straight or introduce them to my family.
Are you kidding me? do you know how many gay and lesbian providers we have in EMS? Are you really calling all of them deeply right-wing?

Maybe if you were honest with your coworkers, you wouldn't feel so insecure around your coworkers. Or maybe if you tried to see things from their point of view you would actually find some areas of common ground.
I love prehospital medicine but quite clearly the family and community that exists is not for us. I don’t go out for drinks after a stressful shift , I am careful to never relate any truly personal stories or share anything real. Any assistance with stress and burnout is found elsewhere. You have to be stupid to trust those that hate you.
Let me tell you about my old fire department... we made fun of white people and black people, single and married people, fat and skinny people, employed and unemployed, males and females. NY sports teams fans and Philly Sports teams fans, Jews and other religions, tall and short people smart and dumb people, old and young people... and just so there is no confusion, we weren't making fun of the public, but rather, our fellow firefighters. We treated members of the public with the utmost respect. We teased our coworkers, but we never did it maliciously, it was just what we did. And yes, we likely should have held weekly sensitivity training classes, but the camaraderie was there.

The walls you are putting up on your own: maybe you should try to go out for drinks after a shift, or share with your coworkers. And if they do something that does offend you, say something. Do you want to do your shift and go home? I can respect that, but if you are intentionally isolating yourself from others, and then complaining that you have to feel all alone and can't be honest, well, I think the issue might be found by looking in a mirror.

BTW, a good buddy of mine is gay. He's also a former Deputy Chief of his local VFD, a career paramedic in two urban cities, and a federal firefighter. Everyone knew he was gay, and since he did his job, no one cared. And yes, I have met his husband, he's met my family, and we have no issues. Painting everyone in EMS as right-wing and anti any group is just wrong.