Martial Arts

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
I would actually recommend Aikido, though it may not be as available as some more "common" martial arts. It is much more defense oriented, and would suit somebody in an EMS field well, since you can subdue an attacker without having to injure them (in a worst case scenario, where you would then leave immediately). The general atmosphere is nice, too.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Last edited by a moderator:

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
I would actually recommend Aikido, though it may not be as available as some more "common" martial arts. It is much more defense oriented, and would suit somebody in an EMS field well, since you can subdue an attacker without having to injure them (in a worst case scenario, where you would then leave immediately). The general atmosphere is nice, too.

A common misconception is there are self-defense techniques that do not injure...... any time you use any force there is a possibility of injury........maybe not from the actual technique applied, but the reflexive movements that may occur secondary to the application of force. (the guy pulls away fast and slips and falls etc.)

EMS has no business attempting to "subdue" or control an attacker. Regardless of the style of martial art......

I am a fan of any contact art.....period. But this mentality of "control" of an aggressive attacker is nonsense.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I am a fan of any contact art.....period. But this mentality of "control" of an aggressive attacker is nonsense.

Nonsense, if I put him on the ground with a roundhouse to the head and he stops moving...he is controlled.

I do TKD btw.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I have my black belt, first degree in Chinese Kenpo. I am about to start work toward my 2nd degree under the instruction of a 6th degree sensei. It took me right at 9 years to reach my black belt, with a 4 year break in between my purple and blue belt. I am currently going through the WKKA's instructor certification process. I am very excited about it.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
plz delete

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Double post. Srry. Mod Please delete.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Nonsense, if I put him on the ground with a roundhouse to the head and he stops moving...he is controlled.

I do TKD btw.

WOW...... congrats if you can pull that off......

But seriously........ my comment was made about martial arts and EMS providers attempting to "control" a person in the back of an ambulance or on a scene somewhere.

The issues are two fold...........first.........

What type of person are you dealing with?

If it is a patient, on what basis is your "control" is it to control and uncooperative patient who is confused due to IDDM, post-ictal, head injury etc? In that case most state laws AND protocols allow for medical "control" using restraints be it chemical and or mechanical.

Now if you are attempting to control an "attacker" who may have started out as a "patient" because you were dispatched to them........why are you trying to control them? Why not create the space to escape? Plus taking "control" of a person other than a medical patient leaves you and many services in a very gray area. Most state statutes DO NOT ALLOW restraining a person for provider protection. Some service protocols may be in violation of state laws. This is an issue I have brought to the attention of State EMS Bureaus and they are actively working on correcting the problem.

My point of my reply was getting people to consider "who" and "when" to control.

So again I say........ congrats if your skill level is of that of a person who can pull of a head high kick in the heat of a self-defense situation. Just please be confident of the timing in which you chose to use such skill. If "reasonable" you are golden. If considered excessive things may not go so well.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
No, I could put a kick that high, but if I missed, it would take a few seconds to recover from pulling every muscle, tendon, and nerve in my leg. In a real situation, I would just hope the person left, and if he decided to try and fight, it would be a fist swept into his torso or head hard enough to put him down.

irish_handgrenade

Forum Lieutenant
No, I could put a kick that high, but if I missed, it would take a few seconds to recover from pulling every muscle, tendon, and nerve in my leg. In a real situation, I would just hope the person left, and if he decided to try and fight, it would be a fist swept into his torso or head hard enough to put him down.

Regardless of the situation, striking another person in the back of the ambulance be it self defense or not will be the loss of your job and possibly your cert, I promise. Pay attention to your pt, your surroundings, and be prepared before hand. Yet another reason for BJJ, I can control a pt. in the back with out hurting the pt or myself if for some reason I was attacked. I have had to subdue a pt. in the back of the ambulance to protect a third rider once, but I took full responsibility due to the fact I should have been more prepared for the possibility of the pt to be violent. Everything worked out fine due to the fact that no one was hurt in the end and the pt did not realize what was going on, and had no recolection of the event. There is always another way and hitting someone rarely is the best course of action, but you keep that mindset and let us know how it works out for you.

ZVNEMT

Forum Lieutenant
I practice BJJ purely for sport, after thinking about it, I figure using it on a Pt for whatever reason would result in my getting bitten, and spending alot of time in a hospital getting tests done... and possibly jail time...

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Just wanted to share with everyone that we tested today, and I got my yellow belt! (and it was really cool to be able to break a board, too!)
karate.gif

Congratulations!

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Bill Cosby on Karate

It's very important that you can break a brick or a stick, because if you're ever held up...some guy says, "Gimme your dough", you can turn around, break a brick, break a stick, and then give him your dough.

bigk428

Forum Ride Along
Long time lurker and a first time poster...

I've been training in boxing for about 3 years and I've started competing last year as an amateur. It's required a great deal of dedication in terms of diet, training and the dreaded process of making weight but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

If anyone is looking for a great way to get in shape I'd suggest learning how to box. I believe it's also one of the best forms of self defense. If you don't want to get punched in the face you can just avoid the sparring or competition but it really is a lot of fun.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Today I became a paid up member of my town's MMA club. So Ill see how much fat I lose and how much muscle I gain.

EMT012

Forum Crew Member
Hello,

I'm new to this forum...

I've been a Martial Arts practitioner for over 21 years. My first system was in Tae Kwon Do and Shorin Ryu Karate. I hold a 1st Dan in TKD. I've also trained in Boxing and Wrestling. This also includes several other systems, not for sport! I'm also involved with Defensive Tactics and Self Defense training. Nice to meet everyone!

Is anyone currently doing any program with EMS Defensive Tactics Training?

fit4duty

Forum Crew Member
Hello,

I'm new to this forum...

I've been a Martial Arts practitioner for over 21 years. My first system was in Tae Kwon Do and Shorin Ryu Karate. I hold a 1st Dan in TKD. I've also trained in Boxing and Wrestling. This also includes several other systems, not for sport! I'm also involved with Defensive Tactics and Self Defense training. Nice to meet everyone!

Is anyone currently doing any program with EMS Defensive Tactics Training?

Kip Teisort does. He posts on this site and presents around the country. Check out his site at www.dt4ems.com

Cory

Forum Captain
I've taken Tae Kwon Do since I was nine years old. I'm an instructor, state and city gold metalist all events (but not state champion:glare:) and despite all this I still haven't tested for my black belt, because I left for quite some time due to a massive foot injury. I'm FINALLY promoting to black in November of next year though.

I know a lot of people tend to just consider Tae Kwon Do a very simple and Americanized, watered down martial art, and at many schools it is, but when your school and instructors are the real deal, there's nothing better. At my school, it's so much more than a sport. I still think deciding to learn Tae Kwon Do was one of the best decisions of my life. I hope to go to Korea some day and experience the origins and traditions of the art.

Epi-Do: Definitely stick with it! It is amazing how much progress a student can make in just one year. Physically, taking tae kwon do comepletely changed my life (I am naturally VERY skinny, but in recent years,working out has kept me at a healthy build) not to mention all of the awesome lessons I have learned so far. If you do progress into senior belt ranks, I reakky suggest competeing in some local tournaments. They are a lot of fun, but also give you insight into how other people learn and master tae kwon do. Also, if you're school offers any kind of cardio workouts or classes, seriously consider those, they help tremdously!

EMT012

Forum Crew Member
I've taken Tae Kwon Do since I was nine years old. I'm an instructor, state and city gold metalist all events (but not state champion:glare:) and despite all this I still haven't tested for my black belt, because I left for quite some time due to a massive foot injury. I'm FINALLY promoting to black in November of next year though.

I know a lot of people tend to just consider Tae Kwon Do a very simple and Americanized, watered down martial art, and at many schools it is, but when your school and instructors are the real deal, there's nothing better. At my school, it's so much more than a sport. I still think deciding to learn Tae Kwon Do was one of the best decisions of my life. I hope to go to Korea some day and experience the origins and traditions of the art.

It depends on what form of Tae Kwon Do you participate in, not all do Sport and their is a difference between Sport and Art!! If you ever go to South Korea and visit the Kukkiwon and World Tae Kwon Do Federation, be prepared to practice all day, everyday.

What form of Tae Kwon Do do you do?

WTF- Olympic Sport
ITF- Focuses more on Gen Choi original concept-(Self Defense/ Unarmed Combat) they don't participate in Sport as much!!
(Originally Tae Kwon Do was not to be Sport (Gen Choi was against it), however around 1972, the South Korean government thought it would be a good idea to introduce Tae Kwon Do as sport to the world in 1988, during a demo at the olympics. Since then we've all seen how it's unfold!) :sad:

Question: Your an Instructor, but have not obtained the rank of Black Belt? So are you an assistant?, senior assistant?