Martial Arts

EMT012

Forum Crew Member
I know a lot of people tend to just consider Tae Kwon Do a very simple and Americanized, watered down martial art, and at many schools it is, but when your school and instructors are the real deal, there's nothing better. At my school, it's so much more than a sport. I still think deciding to learn Tae Kwon Do was one of the best decisions of my life. I hope to go to Korea some day and experience the origins and traditions of the art.

Just remember to many Taekwondoists, Tae Kwon Do is NOT just a Sport or Passion, rather it is a way of life!! (Especially in Korea)... And when I say that I mean you practice 4-8 hours everyday, 6-7 days a week. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:

EMT012

Forum Crew Member
I practice BJJ purely for sport, after thinking about it, I figure using it on a Pt for whatever reason would result in my getting bitten, and spending alot of time in a hospital getting tests done... and possibly jail time...

I love BJJ not for Sport but......

lol. If you got bit by a Pt you either did something incorrectly or weren't paying close enough attention!! Of course if your ever attacked by a pt you might think and do differently! :glare:

You should never have to 'Use Force' against a patient period. The only reasons would be #1. Patient poses a threat to themselves and/or you (if no LEO are around) #2. Patient attempts to attack you, either on scene or in back of the rig. But even with those you could still face legal troubles and 'Escape' should be your priority and goal. I will add that liability, protocals, state laws, and company rules always or should always dictate your response in those situations. It's always the 'ifs' and 'buts' and/or 'whens', 'whose' or 'hows'... This is a complicated issue!

Last edited by a moderator:

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow, Epi; I am impressed, you started an 11 page thread, and there was NO arguements anywhere on it.
don't think I have ever seen that before

Cory

Forum Captain
It depends on what form of Tae Kwon Do you participate in, not all do Sport and their is a difference between Sport and Art!! If you ever go to South Korea and visit the Kukkiwon and World Tae Kwon Do Federation, be prepared to practice all day, everyday.

What form of Tae Kwon Do do you do?

WTF- Olympic Sport
ITF- Focuses more on Gen Choi original concept-(Self Defense/ Unarmed Combat) they don't participate in Sport as much!!
(Originally Tae Kwon Do was not to be Sport (Gen Choi was against it), however around 1972, the South Korean government thought it would be a good idea to introduce Tae Kwon Do as sport to the world in 1988, during a demo at the olympics. Since then we've all seen how it's unfold!) :sad:

Question: Your an Instructor, but have not obtained the rank of Black Belt? So are you an assistant?, senior assistant?

We have a distinct mixture of the two, depending on what night of the week the student chooses to attend and depending on what master instructor is in charge that night. One night you might spar all day. Another night may consist of just stretching, Korean terminology, and forms (and the occasional history lesson or bo staff training). Other nights are centered around self defense. It sounds hectic, but it's actually extremely structured. We also have large groups of students (usually the more...competent ones) who train for tournaments and just work out for hours. Those are the dedicated ones. But as a senior rank, I'm pretty experienced in WTF and ITF.

Like I said, I'vd been competeing in major tournaments since I was nine. I'm very familiar with sport oriented Tae Kwon Do,I live for it. But the more artistic side is very important also.

EMT012

Forum Crew Member
We have a distinct mixture of the two, depending on what night of the week the student chooses to attend and depending on what master instructor is in charge that night. One night you might spar all day. Another night may consist of just stretching, Korean terminology, and forms (and the occasional history lesson or bo staff training). Other nights are centered around self defense. It sounds hectic, but it's actually extremely structured. We also have large groups of students (usually the more...competent ones) who train for tournaments and just work out for hours. Those are the dedicated ones. But as a senior rank, I'm pretty experienced in WTF and ITF.

Like I said, I'vd been competeing in major tournaments since I was nine. I'm very familiar with sport oriented Tae Kwon Do,I live for it. But the more artistic side is very important also.

Usually it's up to the Instructor and/or School.

Cory

Forum Captain
Oh, and I guess by official standards, I'm not an actual "instructor", but I do teach classes almost every day, but never as the master instructor, so yes I'm an assistant instructor.

Naota_X

Forum Crew Member
ive been reading up on bruce lees books they are pretty good i dont have money atm to take a real class so im kinda just self teaching with books and dvds

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Start a group if you can not afford classes. You aren't the only one in Detroit with interest and a lack of money.

EMS*Princess

Forum Probie
I took Taekwondo for about a year- earned my green belt too...wow, that was a long time ago

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, as ive said before, I am a 1st degree black in Kenpo. However, I am leaning more to the study of special forces techniques at the moment. I was wondering are there any other martial artists here at EMT-Life that enjoy studying the Physio-anatomical aspects of hand to hand combat, particularly with regard to the interruption of neural transmission in one strike knockout techniques? I am absolutely fascinated when I review the physiology behind these advanced combat techniques, anyone else?

Naota_X

Forum Crew Member
Well, as ive said before, I am a 1st degree black in Kenpo. However, I am leaning more to the study of special forces techniques at the moment. I was wondering are there any other martial artists here at EMT-Life that enjoy studying the Physio-anatomical aspects of hand to hand combat, particularly with regard to the interruption of neural transmission in one strike knockout techniques? I am absolutely fascinated when I review the physiology behind these advanced combat techniques, anyone else?

yes i have another book thats called vital point stikes its really cool to think of all the diffent ways that can ko people its really fascinating

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
yes i have another book thats called vital point stikes its really cool to think of all the diffent ways that can ko people its really fascinating

Cool. Yeah, my wife has been out cold for about an hour now, think I should check on her?

irish_handgrenade

Forum Lieutenant
One strike knockouts... good luck, Ive competed in mixed martial arts for 5 years and I will tell you its a helluva lot easier said than done and is usually an accident. Most "traditional" martial arts are watered down versions of old combat forms, and are no longer efficient forms of combat. Yes they are better than no type of training at all, but against a fighter trained in an actual combat sport ie: boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, BJJ, Judo, or general mma. They will rarely hold their own and if they do it's rarely do to the art, but rather the practitioner. Back before it was understood for it's legitimacy there would be TKD, Karate, or Kung Fu practitioners and even instructors that would come to our gym and most left with an injury and/or being assisted to their vehicle. Now all the local TKD, and karate places are claiming to teach mma and bjj because they know they can draw in new clients by putting it on their business signs, but they don't make that kind of claim when anyone from our gym is around. Not bashing "traditional" martial arts, in fact for what they are they have an extraordinary ammount of benefits, but do not kid youself in to thinking they are a valid or efficient type of combat or self defense.... This post might piss some of you off, thats ok my opinion isn't for everyone, but its an opinion thats been validated more than a few times.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
One strike knockouts... good luck, Ive competed in mixed martial arts for 5 years and I will tell you its a helluva lot easier said than done and is usually an accident. Most "traditional" martial arts are watered down versions of old combat forms, and are no longer efficient forms of combat. Yes they are better than no type of training at all, but against a fighter trained in an actual combat sport ie: boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, BJJ, Judo, or general mma. They will rarely hold their own and if they do it's rarely do to the art, but rather the practitioner. Back before it was understood for it's legitimacy there would be TKD, Karate, or Kung Fu practitioners and even instructors that would come to our gym and most left with an injury and/or being assisted to their vehicle. Now all the local TKD, and karate places are claiming to teach mma and bjj because they know they can draw in new clients by putting it on their business signs, but they don't make that kind of claim when anyone from our gym is around. Not bashing "traditional" martial arts, in fact for what they are they have an extraordinary ammount of benefits, but do not kid youself in to thinking they are a valid or efficient type of combat or self defense.... This post might piss some of you off, thats ok my opinion isn't for everyone, but its an opinion thats been validated more than a few times.

Well, ive been a Black Belt 1st degree in Chinese Kenpo for 4 years now. I am affiliated with WKKA, etc.. so my martial arts background is professional. My original intent when I first pursued one strikes was simple, I did not want it from a traditional martial arts perspective. I wanted "Special Forces" techniques, and I wanted pure science behind them. The kind of knock outs I am looking for are not something I would ever use in any situation where my life wasn't directly threatened. I am speaking of strikes which interrupt neural pathways, etc. and are lethal, the kind that you would never use in competition or any other type of fighting where your life is not directly threatened. I found exactly what I have been looking for with Red Shift Labs and a couple of resources provided to me by a friend who is an active captain in the US Military with a history of service as both a Marine and a Navy Seal. Katas and Self-defense techniques are pretty, and can be effective. However, I am looking this time for down and dirty quick knock out techniques. Thank you for your input though, and good luck in MMA.

Kthanid

Forum Crew Member
Medicrob,there is a difference between what is the best and and what is taught best. Consider a mil or even SF unarmed combat course is like any combat course, or any army course in fact.
aka its about teaching a varied group of varying ability and varying attention spans something 'basic' and 'basically effective' in the shortest and most economic amount of time.

Like an SF driving course does not make you a great offroad driver, or the medic course does not make you a trauma surgeon lol, krav maga doesn't protect you from the leg kick of a pro mauy thai guy or the double leg takedown of a competitive wrestler. Its not in its scope.

We used to teach the guys some basic boxing, some nasty strikes(eyes, groin) a bit of basic grappling(and weapon disarm) and a little ground grappling (like judo, jujitsu uses for joint locks and chokes) and tell them if they wanted to get real dangerous(or if they were bored :)) to take up a full contact fighting sport in their own time. Eg MMA, BJJ, boxing, muay thai or even folkstyle wrestling.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Medicrob,there is a difference between what is the best and and what is taught best. Consider a mil or even SF unarmed combat course is like any combat course, or any army course in fact.
aka its about teaching a varied group of varying ability and varying attention spans something 'basic' and 'basically effective' in the shortest and most economic amount of time.

Like an SF driving course does not make you a great offroad driver, or the medic course does not make you a trauma surgeon lol, krav maga doesn't protect you from the leg kick of a pro mauy thai guy or the double leg takedown of a competitive wrestler. Its not in its scope.

We used to teach the guys some basic boxing, some nasty strikes(eyes, groin) a bit of basic grappling(and weapon disarm) and a little ground grappling (like judo, jujitsu uses for joint locks and chokes) and tell them if they wanted to get real dangerous(or if they were bored :)) to take up a full contact fighting sport in their own time. Eg MMA, BJJ, boxing, muay thai or even folkstyle wrestling.

What would you recommend Kthanid?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
The kind of knock outs I am looking for are not something I would ever use in any situation where my life wasn't directly threatened. I am speaking of strikes which interrupt neural pathways, etc. and are lethal, the kind that you would never use in competition or any other type of fighting where your life is not directly threatened.

You want to learn techiques you can't use unless your trying to kill someone? So how will you become effective in using such techniqes if you cant use them against a non-cooperative opponnent.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
You want to learn techiques you can't use unless your trying to kill someone? So how will you become effective in using such techniqes if you cant use them against a non-cooperative opponnent.

Lol. I just want to study them, that is all.