Martial Arts

irish_handgrenade

Forum Lieutenant
Wow your pictures look neater than mine lol.

I'm a black belt in Tae Kwon Do...been doing it for about six years...

I suggest for anyone looking for something hardcore with a lot of hitting - check out Krav Maga. I believe that's grappling and hitting and made for "real world" combat. Last I checked it's still banned in professional competition for being so hardcore.

just curious where you got the info on this? lol the U.S. trained the israeli army, krav maga actually came from stuff that our military taught them. A group of ex-military from israel came over to america and borrowed a page out of the tae kwon do play book and began opening schools to make money because there is a market for that sort of thing. All krav maga is, is a grouping of techniques from different martial arts and self defense techniques like throat punches and eye gouging.
Tae kwon do actually had a similar start in america, ever wonder why any city in america has anywhere between 5-50 TKD dojos? Some korean ex-military came over to america with a plan, they took what they learned in the military and kept what was pretty and cool and flashy, dropped some of the other stuff packaged it into a marketable item and added belt colors and belt tests to A.) make a little extra cash, and provide a more valuable product. and B.) give people a sense of accomplishment with short term attainable goals.

I am not talking bad about any martial arts if it weren't for the TKD, kung fu, karate, boxing, judo, "ninjitsu" studios, advances in the martial art world would be much farther behind, but I do see most of them for what they are and they do a lot of good for a lot of people but most of the stuff is not useful in the ring, the cage, or in the street.
Many local TKD and Karate instructors here have learned that at the hands of my armbasr, triangle chokes, and bicep slicers.

Delando

Forum Probie
I've practiced Kung Fu in a small gym in MO for about 14 yrs. (On and off during college).

And i would say this for all martials, best cardio/aerobics ever! 15min of MA equates to about 1hr of jogging/biking. Most of them really help your body mechanic/coordination, power release/control.

The styles like TDK, that emphasizes on kicks, usually makes you do alot of streches, your flexibility goes up really quickly.

If you want try Taichi, they emphasize on body posture in stances, it really help folks with hip or back problem as well as your blance. Also unlike some of the hard forms(karate,jujitsu), it's low impact, so i recommend it for our 35+ gents/ladies.

And best of all, the classes are super cheap. most YMCA's, local colleges got them for $15-30. Check with peep who's taken them. I got a few places i can recommend in MO if anyone needs em.

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
I took Seido karate for a few years and got to 4th kyu. I was going 3 or 4 times a week and totally burned out, plus I also started having foot problems (plantar fascitis) so I haven't gone in over a year. I really wanted to get to brown belt at least, so I've been thinking about giving it another try.

I also took escrima briefly and loved it. I couldn't find a consistent school though but if I could find one, I'd stick with that. It's really an effective martial art and a lot of fun.

medicp94dao

Forum Crew Member
I have studied Tae-Kwon-Do in elementary school for a few years... but as I got older i studied White Crane Gung Fu for 2-3 years, Kickboxing for most of my highschool years and while i was in the Army I studied Ju Jitsu.... I am looking to get back into Martial Arts very shortly.

judoka5446

Forum Crew Member
Ive been doing judo for a while and train in MMA. Judo is especially useful when you need to hold down someone and not inflict injury, as judo has many useful pinning techniques.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Judo is fun, and useful... as are elements of Aikido... for certain applications. Personally, I like Aikido. It's fun... but it's major downside is that it takes a while to become proficient enough in it for someone to be able to use it effectively in a combat situation. While it has great flexibility... that's also it's weakness for learning it.

That being said, I have had to use some of the restraint techniques... and they do work well, and can get some pain compliance, or at least you put someone into a position where they have no mechanical leverage... and limit their ability to hurt you or anyone else. Firm, but gentle pressure and a calm, soothing voice has gotten the message through the (very) few times I've needed it... while working.

If you have to do much more than that... Call Law Enforcement... for you'll need the manpower...

ZVNEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Right now I'm studying BJJ at a De La Riva school. been there about 5 months now, and i love it. All the aches and bruises and the occasional bloody lip are well worth the experience.

texasbred

Forum Ride Along
I did TKD from about age 10 until I was 16. Then I trained a lot with my uncle who was a Marine Sniper, but his teachings were much more "Strike and Destroy" type of fighting. A kind of whatever it takes fighting. That got me into trouble later.

Looking to do TKD again just for an outlet and hobby.

Omaha

Forum Probie
I started in TKD:ph34r: when I was around 5. After about 10 years I wanted more than kicking and punching so I got into Hapkido:ph34r:, also a Korean martial art. I highly recommend Hapkido for EMS practitioners as it deals with control and manipulation of your opponents strength and size through leverage and anatomical knowledge. It's surprisingly easy to hurt someone but to control them without causing serious injury takes skill. I would also recommend BJJ:ph34r:.

With any MA it really comes down to the teacher.

Deltachange

Forum Crew Member
I did Karate and Judo and Aikido for about two years, and didn't like the flashy stuff that never actually worked when I sparred. Then found BJJ, and have been doing it for four years, I absolutely love it, and when I am done with college and a paragod, I will start again, and go for my black belt.

doctorfodder

Forum Crew Member
I've done Aikido since I was 4 so I've continued with that. Its a defensive style martial arts. I've done some Kempo for a couple of years but didn't like the instructor.

spikestac211

Forum Probie
Krav Maga here ^_^

I suggest for anyone looking for something hardcore with a lot of hitting - check out Krav Maga. I believe that's grappling and hitting and made for "real world" combat. Last I checked it's still banned in professional competition for being so hardcore.

It is very real world oriented, yeah.. but the reason it's not "allowed" to be used in MMA isn't really because its too "hardcore".. but because it teaches you to kick the guy in the balls if you have to. Elbow him in the head if you have to.. do whatever it takes so that you go home that night. MMA has fairly specific rules as to where you can and can't strike.. Krav doesn't have that set of rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Krav Maga here ^_^

It is very real world oriented, yeah.. but the reason it's not "allowed" to be used in MMA isn't really because its too "hardcore".. but because it teaches you to kick the guy in the balls if you have to. Elbow him in the head if you have to.. do whatever it takes so that you go home that night. MMA has fairly specific rules as to where you can and can't strike.. Krav doesn't have that set of rules.

UFC and other organized MMA leagues have rules....for safe competition and due to state regulations. MMA in real world fights have no such rules and trust me, they can do all that just as well.

spikestac211

Forum Probie
UFC and other organized MMA leagues have rules....for safe competition and due to state regulations. MMA in real world fights have no such rules and trust me, they can do all that just as well.

Correctamundo. Put me in a triangle choke and I'm toast :p

I was just 'splaining why krav maga "techniques" were frowned upon in regulated MMA events.

EMT

Forum Probie
I did Taekwondo for 6 years. Made it to first degree then dropped out due to the fact that i have no time anymore.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I took Yoshukai Karate made purple belt, right after white. I learned the 27 movements which is basically all of the blocks. These students here really earn their belts, every black belt I saw did crisp moves.

You learn how to use weapons like the bow staff, sais, kamas, nunchaku, swords and tonfa in later study. You can absolute just pummel someone with a bow staff.

Instructor is great, he is a 9th dan black belt. Took it when in lived in Birmingham,AL. but then had to quit when I had to leave for this job here in MS.

http://www.ikfkarate.com/home.html

EMT-G36C

Forum Crew Member
Another of Imi's followers here.

I love Krav Maga. I have never been in such good shape, felt so healthy, or so energetic my whole life.

ZVNEMT

Forum Lieutenant
i see alot og TKD guys on here and im kinda curious, are you guys taught with the mindset "this is what i'm gonna do in a real fight" or strictly for scoring points in competition? some of the kicks are fancy and all but seem impractical, like how do you guys think you would fare against a muay thai guy?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
i see alot og TKD guys on here and im kinda curious, are you guys taught with the mindset "this is what i'm gonna do in a real fight" or strictly for scoring points in competition? some of the kicks are fancy and all but seem impractical, like how do you guys think you would fare against a muay thai guy?

Its a matter of range. TKD trains for long distance kicks. Muay Thai Does intermediate and short distance. Muay Thai has the advantage by far.

What is your definition of a "real fight" might I ask?