Management of open and tension pneumothorax - accesories

kledoo

Forum Ride Along
Hi! I'm writing a paper about management of open and tension pneumothorax. I ask you to send me information on how you at your EMS provider manage open and tension pneumothorax in prehospital setting:

1. What product (needle) do you use for needle decompression of tension pneumothorax (ie. IV needle, IV canulla, any specific needle - and what bore like G14 and lenght)

2. What chest seal or improvization do you use for the management of open pneumothorax (name of the product or describe the improvization)

Please also provide me with a city and state/province&country where you work

Thanks!

VentMonkey

Family Guy
1. For needle decompression (tension pneumos, and/ or potentially impending) we are supplied with these:
IMG_0358.JPG

2. For an "open" pneumothorax (sucking chest wound) if fire doesn't use their fancy schmancy chest seal I use a gloved hand until myself, or my partner can apply this:
IMG_0357.JPG

Bakersfield, CA. I have, and will use a 14 gauge IV needle in lieu of the NAR kit when applicable for tensions; good luck on your paper.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I haven't gone through the supplies of my new service, my previous employer used the same 14 ga. needle that vent showed you.

If it is open? Same thing again. Whatever appropriate sized packaging will do.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Tensions get decompressed with either a 10g or a 14g. (We have both) They get an asherman over the top with the cath hub at the valve.

An open pneumo gets an asherman or a defib pad.

Rural coastal Georgia.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
10ga ARS needles for decompression. Expired pedi defib pads for chest seals (or regular pads if none are in stock). Vaseline gauze as a backup. Colorado.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
14G 3 inch long needle

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
14g x 5" angiocath for chest decompressions and pericardiocentesis. Our tactical medics are authorized to perform finger thoracostomies.

Chest seals we use a commercial device. I want to say it's the HALO but I can't remember for certain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
14 gauge IV and we have a 14.5" needle for larger people. We have some sort of commercial valve stuff that ive never used. Defib pads and vaseline gauze for open wounds

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
@kledoo, have you had a chance to read through the Co-TECC guidelines? They may be somewhat informative. Another interesting reference is from the AMEDD's "War Surgery in Iraq and Afghanistan" - they address how the military had approached trauma care (mostly post-field care) in recent conflicts.