Malpractice / Liability Insurance

Pittsburgh Proud

Forum Lieutenant
yes, its liability (or malpractice basically) it covers you if sued, it also provides some defense money and accident insurance.

Sounds like a good investment and a rather cheap one too for the protection.

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
Malpractice Insurance

Does anyone here carry personal malpractice insurance on themselves? What does it cost you a year? Have you ever had to use it? How much does it cover? What does it cover? Thanks

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
I just bought HPSO.. it was $29.00 for my first year.

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
Most of our medics are insured. All our part time staff members have to be insured through the agency they work for. I am also insured through the agency and would recommend it for any EMT.

It is nice to have. There are a few options and basically all of them covers you for up to 3 million ZAR... approx USD 375,000

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
I just bought HPSO.. it was $29.00 for my first year.

I lied and it wont let me edit it. For a student, its $29.00. Apparently I didnt sign up right and its really $72.00 for a year. I will GLADLY pay $6.00 a month to be covered!!!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Even though this has been discussed to death, I think that every EMT needs to be covered, and HPSO has always been a pleasure to work with.

While you can do it all online in a few minutes, they have always been quick to answer the phone and provide competent answers when I had tough questions. Thankfully I've found that they'd cover me in almost all situations, even when I wasn't working as an EMT. Mine was $100 a year, and I'd gladly pay that for the comfort it provides me.

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
Even though this has been discussed to death, I think that every EMT needs to be covered, and HPSO has always been a pleasure to work with.

While you can do it all online in a few minutes, they have always been quick to answer the phone and provide competent answers when I had tough questions. Thankfully I've found that they'd cover me in almost all situations, even when I wasn't working as an EMT. Mine was $100 a year, and I'd gladly pay that for the comfort it provides me.

Thanks to you all for your input on this.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Have any members here had to file a claim with any of these companies?
I am covered by HPSO, and have had pleasant expierences with them, but nothing beyond signing up for coverage.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Have any members here had to file a claim with any of these companies?
I am covered by HPSO, and have had pleasant expierences with them, but nothing beyond signing up for coverage.

Same here...

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
EMT malpractice insurance

Does anyone here hold malpractice insurance for themselves (not the company's insurance)? If so, why? If not, why not?

mdtaylor

Forum Crew Member
Absolutely.

While the company insurance may cover you, you are still responsible for your actions. Especially if the opposing counsel goes down the path of whether or not you remained within your scope of practice. In which case your company insurance may not cover you, or limit coverage. Your personal insurance will be a nice supplement if it is needed.

Your company insurance may not cover you if you are off duty or outside of your territory. And I would not rely on Good Samaritan laws to protect me.

And, for $50/year it is most reasonable.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
You know... we've had this discussion before :) - Actually... I just did a search

This is thread #8334 on EMTLife.. we first talked about it in thread 61. There are 8 threads with this subject already - For laughs... I'm going to merge all the topics. It is kinda cool to be posting in an "old" thread.

BTW - I still carry insurance, I'm renewing next month and adding insurance as an instructor.

Jon

Last edited by a moderator:

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
if you are a poor basic like me....then i'm not sure its worth it. if someone sued me I would just declare bankruptcy. i don't have any assets anyways. the most expensive thing I own is my laptop, people can't sue for that anyways.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
Has anyone actually had to use their malpractice insurance? If so are you willing to share about how well it worked or if you have any advice on insurance?

DeepFreeze

Forum Lieutenant
Has anyone actually had to use their malpractice insurance? If so are you willing to share about how well it worked or if you have any advice on insurance?

This might be worth revisiting, maybe make it a sticky thread?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Another Save! What is the record on resurrections by the way?

Ally

Forum Probie
I just looked up a quote - Maine, recent grad, part time employment at basic level is $82