Malpractice / Liability Insurance

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Insurance

What is the name of the company that provides insurance that covers you in case you do something wrong? It's been mentioned multiple times but I can't seem to find it now.

Thanks,

Chimp

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I just renewed mine, along with getting some liability insurance for teachers.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I have HPSO as well, ironically my paramedic is much higher than the RN.

R/r 911

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I have HPSO as well, ironically my paramedic is much higher than the RN.

R/r 911

Do you think that has to do with the emergent nature of paramedicine vs. the overall risk of RN as a whole? I've heard repeatedly in our state there is very little case law to support a law suit against an emergency worker so most of the cases are either resolved out of court or dropped.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I believe one would be surprised on how many law suits there are against EMT's and EMS, it is very high. Yes, many are settled out before trial occurs, hence one of the best reasons to obtain insurance.

One could become very attorney poor just from one incidence, even if they are in the right.

If they do settle out...they still may personally sue against the EMT'S themselves.

R/r 911

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
HPSO Professional Liability Insurance - How good is the company?

I know some of you have your own liability insurance policy through HPSO. I'm thinking of buying a policy for myself. I'd like to know what you think of the company and their quality of service, speed of response to questions or claims. I'd also like to know, if you've ever had to file a claim with them, how it was handled; what was it for, and was it paid? Do you feel that they lived up to how they represent themselves?

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I've had them for four years now and have never had to file a claim with them, so I can't really answer your questions.

They have been very responsive to any questions I have asked them through their website, though.

disassociative

Forum Captain
I was required to carry HPSO for both EMT-IV and Paramedic school as well as the current RN program I am in now. I am unsure as to the quality of the coverage(in real life situations) as I haven't had to file a claim. The insurance seems pretty good though.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Like others, I too have HPSO malpractice insurance. Fortunately, I have not (nor, do I want too have find out ) use their services.

I do realize that there are few insurances that cover EMT's, as well having mixed liability such as the RN and Paramedic. They are recognized as one of the leading medical malpractice insurance carriers.

R/r 911

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
Do you carry liability insurance?

And who do you carry it thru?

My coverage ends Friday and well, I didnt think about it until today. I've got to find a good company this week!!!

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
ditto ffemt, and maybe someday, ditto R/r

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
You can do it online through HPSO. It's worth the relatively small investment!

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks yall! That is actually the company I found thru GAEMT.org as well. Its $29.00 a year for their basic policy. I signed up for that and need to spend a little extra time looking at the expanded coverages and stuff. Thanks for the links.. I would have been panicky had I been without coverage!!!

Pittsburgh Proud

Forum Lieutenant
I have never heard of this... Please educate me about this. I would imagine this would be if you were to do something wrong and it would protect you if sued?
Never knew of such a thing but I think I'm going to sign up.

ErinCooley

Forum Lieutenant
yes, its liability (or malpractice basically) it covers you if sued, it also provides some defense money and accident insurance.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I'm covered by HPSO, too... I figure that if I am accused of doing something wrong, my service will hire lawyers to protect themselves... and I might or might not be protected. This was more important to me when I was working priviate transport.. but I don't see a reason not to pay it.