Magnesium Sulfate in Asthma

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
As an acute observer of human behavior, there is a distinct difference in writing style when one is spewing medical knowledge/jargon versus when they ad lib at the end or in a separate post. Hence...I smell pseudomedicitis with possible pseudodocitis secondary infection.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I smell pseudomedicitis with possible pseudodocitis secondary infection.
Lol, too awesome not to highlight. Nothing a little realitychecktol can't keep at bay.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Whilst your point is well taken, henceforth I shall heed this warning when articulating the level of my intelligent posts.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
We have mag in our standing orders, but it is behind Nebs, Solumedrol, and epi. IF were on Mag (and we have brethine in the same line) things are going poorly. I have found that it seems to improve patients, but with the proliferation of CPAP at the BLS level, we are using it less than before.

And FWIW, we carry calcium gluconate, our MD says he likes it better for hypermag

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
I think that at least some of subjective improvement folks see after MgSo4 in these patients is a sedation effect just by the reduction of the distress of not being able to breathe.

sorry if that had been pointed out already....quit reading most of the posts.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Anecdotally, IM epi, CPAP and Mag worked wonders on a bad asthma last week.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Anecdotally, IM epi, CPAP and Mag worked wonders on a bad asthma last week.
What led you to add Mag to that? I feel like most of the reactive airway patients I put on CPAP usually still sound pretty tight, but generally so long as their SpO2 and end tidal (among others) normalize I'm ok.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Oh, we can't add it here....our medical director doesn't believe in it. But it worked well at the hospital