Looking for work in Seattle

saltandgranite

Forum Probie
Hi all,

I am a proud, recent, graduate of WMI in Lander, WY. I passed my NREMT last Friday and am hoping to pick up EMT work here in Seattle asap. I have applied at Falck and Tri Med. Unfortunately, I have not heard from either one (it's been about a week). It doesn't look like AMR is hiring. No Ski Patrol jobs either.

Do any seasoned NW EMTs have any advice? I have a car and am willing to commute an hour each way every day. Thanks so much. I am ready to go!

Luno

OG
Premium Member
How much outdoors/ski patrol experience do you have?

OP
OP
S

saltandgranite

Forum Probie
Hi, thanks for the reply. Looks like I can't send a PM until I get a few more posts in. No ski patrol experience - but last season I commuted 22 miles per week on cross country skis for work in the sierras. I was working for a nordic ski school. Also, NOLS does a pretty good job with outdoor scenarios (last month we were all waist deep in snow). Litter carries, hypothermic scenarios, avalanche, focused spine assessments etc.

Once I get a position somewhere (paid), I plan on volunteering with SAR and hopefully helping out on Rainier...

Last edited by a moderator:

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Edited to remove mail address

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Call trimed and ask to talk to hr. Tell her you applied and are wondering if they are hiring soon. They go through employees like skittles so it should not be too long. Falck is not hiring at the moment since they just hired a few. But put your app in.

OP
OP
S

saltandgranite

Forum Probie
Hi Luno, I sent over my info. Thanks again.

FireWA1 - I'll give TriMed a call. Falck NW has an EMT-B position up on their website, so I went ahead and applied. It seems to be stuck in "HR Review" status, but it's only been a week.

From what I understand TriMed might see a little more trauma and Falck might see more medical...? Just for experience, I would certainly love the TriMed job, but I'd take anything at this point.... I hate not working.

Thanks again guys!

KingCountyMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Rural Metro also operates over here, They are in Pierce, King, and Sno County I believe. Most hospitals in King County also hire EMT's to work as Techs. :)

mrg86

Forum Crew Member
Check out Northwest Ambulance in Marysville, it would be a good place to start and get some experience. Mostly IFT and critical care transports. I enjoyed working there, it was laid back but professional.

OP
OP
S

saltandgranite

Forum Probie
Thanks guys, I spoke to TriMed. Unfortunately, they said "You sound like a nice guy, but we're not hiring at the moment." Haha, oh well. They said they'd keep my info on file.

Edit: I just spoke to Falck as well. Not hiring... shoot, it looks tough up here in the great NW =)

I'll check out Rural Metro and Northwest Ambulance. I definitely appreciate it.

Check out Northwest Ambulance in Marysville, it would be a good place to start and get some experience. Mostly IFT and critical care transports. I enjoyed working there, it was laid back but professional.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Don't give up. If you're not hired in a few weeks, it's worth a follow up call to touch base.

OP
OP
S

saltandgranite

Forum Probie
Thanks N7, I won't give up :) It's not my nature. Rural Metro not hiring either. On a side note, I just got my NREMT diploma, card and EMT patch in the mail. Pretty cool... just need that job now :)

I'm starting to look at Portland and CA. I'd hate to move, but really want that EMT job. Would hate to settle for something else (potentially been offered a high rise window washing gig [which does sound fun]).

OP
OP
S

saltandgranite

Forum Probie
Thanks KingCountyMedic... hmmm, that's an interesting website. I'd never heard of it. It looks like you pay a fee, get tested, and pay more fees for different agencies to see your score? If firehouses use it, I guess it's worth the investment. I'd love to get into firefighting, but I always figured I needed a fire degree or tons of volunteer hours at a station first. Which is fine, but I still need some emt-b hours in the meantime =)

Anyway, I'll keep checking it out. Looks like a win/win either way.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
No you just need to ace the test and do well jn the interview. But back to emt stuff. Yes trimed is not hiring now but they are a revolving door and employees come and go. Give it a month or two and hopefully your turn will come. Youll run fun calls. But they dont treat you as well as others. Your expendable. And everyone knows it. Falck just hired a bunch and they dont plan on hiring untill they grow again. Submit your app and if you get the chance go for it. From what i know the company cares about their employees.

And apply to rural. Thought they dont do much in king county anymore. Mostly everett and tacoma. And the va hospitals.

OP
OP
S

saltandgranite

Forum Probie
Thanks for all of the help FireWA1. I'll make sure to keep calling TriMed. Quick question: Is it better to have a WA driver's license and driving abstract? I grew up here and used to have a WA driver's license. But I've been living in CA the last few years - working for Yosemite National Park. Therefore I now have a CA driver's license.

Just wondering if that might hinder me. Also, if I get a WA license and pull a three year abstract, there won't be anything on it - as I haven't been here for three years. Wouldn't they rather see an abstract where I've been driving (CA)? There's no violations on that either...

Thanks again for the help.

NomadicMedic

I'd get a Washington drivers license. It's one last thing to worry about. And I'll second the comments about TriMed. You will get good experience, but the EMTs are easily replaceable.

OP
OP
S

saltandgranite

Forum Probie
Thanks again for all of the help. It completely makes sense to just go get a WA driver's license. One more question that's popped up: I've been applying with my NREMT cert (to Falck, TriMed etc), but a few companies have asked for WA State EMT license. I've done lots of research and it looks like you need to be sponsored by an agency to receive a WA license... am I missing something?

NomadicMedic

It's simply a matter of supply and demand. There are a LOT of new EMTs that are produced every quarter. There are not an equal number of available jobs. North Seattle, Lake Washington Tech, NCTI, TCC and King County keep churning out EMTs.

I'm curious if the instructors are still telling students that jobs are plentiful and easy to obtain.