Looking for work in Seattle

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
They usually put new people waiting for a cert on the cabulance. It takes a special breed of person to be a TriMed dispatcher. ;)

MediMike

Forum Lieutenant
I made it as one for a couple months until I got fired for a friendly conversation with a ValleyComm dispatcher. I'm sure there are some folks on here that can give you a more up-to-date version of things with the company, although with the medic students I precept, those who came from there say it hasn't changed very much.

What company in Thurston? Olympic?

NomadicMedic

The day Jay came out into the bay and smashed in an ambulance with a sledgehammer was one of the high points of my time there. One of the crews had put a ding in the fender of an ambulance. "If you won't take care of my trucks, I won't take either!" Smash! Smash!

It was pretty awesome.

OP
OP
S

saltandgranite

Forum Probie
Yikes. That sounds a little sketchy...

Yep, Olympic in Thurston. To be honest, they sound like an amazing company... Lots of calls and I had a 30 min conversation with the Manager there and he was super impressive. I just wish Thurston county wasn't such a bureaucracy.

We'll see what Tri Med says tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I told you wait a little bit and they will get to your name. Glad you have an interview! Least that is a foot in the door and a way to get your state cert. Good luck!

OP
OP
S

saltandgranite

Forum Probie
I told you wait a little bit and they will get to your name. Glad you have an interview! Least that is a foot in the door and a way to get your state cert. Good luck!

Thanks again everyone. The interview went well. Lots of information about how it all works... It sounds like ten weeks is a bit optimistic for the license, but should she hire me she'd like to get it going as soon as possible. There's also a paid two week orientation, at some point, which can be done before the license shows up.

Sounds like I'll find out on Monday.

Interesting facilities. Not what I expected.

PotatoMedic

Just wait till you see the 24hr "Stations." Hope you get the job. As I said before it will be good experience. Good call volume. But it is better if you never see Jay and he never sees you. And the two week orientation is a joke when I did it. Most of it was using a map book. And I hope you know how to drive an emergency vehicle already. When I went thought it was a 1 hour online test. then 'here are the keys' mentality. Again. Good experience. But if you can lateral to AMR RM or Falck if you can. Though a lot of the RM guys say they are not doing so well company wise.

NomadicMedic

I love those stations. A mattress on the floor. Some are better than others. The Renton stations were in pretty good shape when I left. They were just building the new Kent station when I left. I seem to remember the bays were too small to fit the trucks in though.

You'll have a great time working at TriMed. It's busy, great experience and you'll get a whole new appreciation for the way the system works.

KingCountyMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Shoot me a PM when you start working, anyone else in the south end for that matter and we can meet up and go over my rig, your rig, and how to work well together :)

OP
OP
S

saltandgranite

Forum Probie
KCM, I'm a little new to how things work around here... are you with Medic One? Either way, I'd love to - thanks for the offer. The UW Medic program is definitely something I'd love to see in the future.

OP
OP
S

saltandgranite

Forum Probie
Just got a call from NW Ambulance... anyone care to comment on them vs Tri Med (26 EMTs Arlington based vs 150+ EMTs and Seattle area based...)?

Thx!

mrg86

Forum Crew Member
I worked at Northwest, you will be doing mostly IFT transports. You may get put on the nurse car but even there you will be doing a great deal of driving and little patient care. If you want to see sick patients and get lots of experience quickly, go to Tri Med.

waaaemt

Forum Lieutenant
That's awesome! Patience my friend...the calls will come!

I'd definitely go for TriMed over NW amb. Trimed gets all sorts of crazy ghetto 911 action. But If Olympic in Thurston works out, I'd go with that because from what I understand they share primary 911 response with the FD so often times they get on scene first. That's what I've heard anyway. But yeah TriMed would be sweeeeet.

As for R/M, they're slowly improving operations. They got a new GM who seems to really know what he's doing so looks like things will start to get better.

PotatoMedic

Any word on the trimmed interview? Or any others?

Zoom

Forum Ride Along
I've also been looking for full time work in the area, it's a bit tough. I'm currently on-call only, not enough for me. If you're willing to move I know AMR is currently hiring for Olympia, not Seattle, I know. I just applied there though since I haven't had luck in the city. Then again I'm also in my first year of EMS so I suppose I have plenty of hoops to jump through. But if you were to move to the King/Pierce County area you'd be closer to TriMed, Rural and AMR locations. Good luck!

OP
OP
S

saltandgranite

Forum Probie
Hi all!

Thank you so much for all the information and curiosity. I decided to take a volunteer ranger position in Yosemite Park last April, which allowed me to be able to obtain my emt white card and participate in search and rescues. I worked in the clinic and valley ambulance as well which was fantastic experience. Well my season is over and I'm back in Seattle, once again looking for ambulance work. I've applied for an AMR Olympia position, emerald city and Falck. No word yet, but let me know if anyone hears of anything on the street!

Thanks again :)

saltandgranite