light

emt for life

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys I was just wondering in Virginia what were the legal light colors for pov's and what was the best type of warning light for a dashboard on a 99 Corolla. Thanks guys for your help

PS: My limit is 100 Dollars

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Hi there. Best thing I can tell you is to check with the DOT there. If you want you can also look up the Virginia Administrative Code and the Revised Code of Virginia if y'all have one. That can be found online usually very easily. Just google both those and start digging.

I know here in WA POV light specs are detailed in the RCW under the emergency vehicle and operations chapter.

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
Hey guys I was just wondering in Virginia what were the legal light colors for pov's and what was the best type of warning light for a dashboard on a 99 Corolla. Thanks guys for your help

U could just ask your Dept. See what everyone else has.

OP
OP
E

emt for life

Forum Crew Member
Well I live in a Rural area and if I get behind a farm truck or tractor I need for them to know that I am going down the road for an emergency and I dont have all day to get there.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Well I live in a Rural area and if I get behind a farm truck or tractor I need for them to know that I am going down the road for an emergency and I dont have all day to get there.

Your department doesn't provide you with a light, or at least tell you what kind to get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E

emt for life

Forum Crew Member
We arent that lucky lol. But we do have some of the best equipment in the county which I live so thats a plus. I'm not complaining im just saying its a small community and we dont have money to waste on lights for new members

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
We arent that lucky lol. But we do have some of the best equipment in the county which I live so thats a plus. I'm not complaining im just saying its a small community and we dont have money to waste on lights for new members
Why not take the money you'd waste on a light and put it towards something useful....like beer or a hot girl?

You do realize that most studies have shown that even in rural environments warning lights don't tend to help much? Besides a tractor is so large they can't easily pull over. That means you'd have to pass in the opposing lane of traffic, around a vehicle you can't see past, most likely at a high rate of speed....you see where this is going. As a rural provider for most of my ground EMS career, I can say that with only a couple of exceptions, the only time my warning lights (department provided) came on was AFTER I arrived on scene at MVAs and only if I was the first vehicle there.

If you really want to stand out, just get some Christmas lights and make them spell "tool" across your hood. That's pretty much what most EMS providers and firefighters think of POVs with warning lights.

Last edited by a moderator:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
You won't find much love for anyone here if you're talking about lights for your POV. We try to keep the 'whackerism' to a minimum, and focus (mostly) on the medical stuff.

However, there is a forum dedicated to lights, sirens and all things that go 'blink' in the night. http://elightbars.org/

They might have a suggestion or two as to which light you should select.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief

no, no no!

you're doing it all wrong

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I was thinking of stealing it for my sig...probably should ask permission though

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
If you're talking about the comment I made, go for it. I don't mind in the slightest.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Sweet deal :thumbsup:

OP
OP
E

emt for life

Forum Crew Member
This is definitely about equipment and this is a forum for ambulances and equipment even though its for a pov I just thought other medics would give me advice on what's the best deal for the price.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
...and we told you the best deal for the price is to not get a light.

OP
OP
E

emt for life

Forum Crew Member
So u don't think i would benefit at all from a light?? People will give me the right away so I won't get behind slow people .... Ik people are inconsiderate sometimes and they don't move I just thought it would help

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
So u don't think i would benefit at all from a light?? People will give me the right away so I won't get behind slow people .... Ik people are inconsiderate sometimes and they don't move I just thought it would help

I think anyone driving l/s puts themselves and everyone else on the road, and sidewalk at risk, and the risk, I would imagine is greater in a pov

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
People will give me the right away so I won't get behind slow people

LOL You'd be surprised. All it is for most (99.99%) of volunteers is a flashing signal of encouragement to drive faster and more aggressively than they would otherwise.

Ik people are inconsiderate sometimes and they don't move I just thought it would help

It's a courtesy light, nothing more. They don't have to be any less of a **** to you if you have your light than if you were to drive up with your blinkers on, honking and flashing your headlights at them. Honestly, you'd probably have better luck with unzipping your pants and waving your junk at drivers who won't move. At least that's a good reason in most people's book to get the hell away from you.