LED Lights on Ambulance?

pfmedic

Forum Lieutenant
I think blue LED's are the most visible. but LED's as a whole are the way to go. bright as all get out.

guardian528

Forum Lieutenant
I think blue LED's are the most visible.

i agree, and if i remember correctly it's true. i looked at a comparison of different colored LED's at some point and i think blue and white were the brightest colors. too bad blue is reserved for law enforcement in CA.

jtb_E10

Forum Crew Member
Led

I think the LED lights on cop cars is great. While it makes them harder to spot, I like how bright they are.

Has anyone seen LEDs on an ambulance? Whether it be the main light bar or on the sides / back, I'm wondering if such a setup exists.

All of the ambulances that my service runs has LED's instead of strobe/halogen lights. They are much brighter and people can see us so much better.

Fireguy

Forum Crew Member
front%20angle.jpg
You mean like this beautiful machine? www.liverpoolems.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Sail195

Forum Lieutenant
Both our new trucks are all LED and let me tell you it can be bright as heck out and you can see these things from a mile away!!

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Since this thread has been brought back again, I'll add my two cents...

At my private service, our new Chevy Vanbulances are mostly LED. We have an LED lightbar with 4 red corners, 2 red front, 2 white front. There are red bumper and fender lights. The primaries (side and rear lights) on the conversion top are LED red, white, and amber. They even took away the headlight flasher (wig-wag) and replaced it with two white LED modules next to the headlights.

The load and scene lights stayed halogen. The trucks are really visible, definitely brighter than our halogen units.

The one thing I suggest for all services is to keep headlight flashers if legal in your jurisdiction. They are one of the best devices we have in our toolbox for front facing warning power.

gradygirl

TROUBLE
I think the LED lights on cop cars is great. While it makes them harder to spot, I like how bright they are.

Has anyone seen LEDs on an ambulance? Whether it be the main light bar or on the sides / back, I'm wondering if such a setup exists.

Our new Sprinters are all LED, both in all outside lights and in the dome lights in the back. You can see these trucks from a mile away, and there's nothing more painful than having a Sprinter in front of you when someone opens the back doors and the load lights spring to life at midnight.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Another code save...

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
ohhai hotel.

We don't have wig wags on our new rigs. exodus is sad :(

Mariemt

Forum Captain
We have LED lights, I am a bit mixed on them. I think they are bright and pretty, but have you ever been dispatched 2 ambulances at once and followed one at night? Its horrible to see, you can't see where command is trying to park you. And it is literally a hazard when coming to intersections and trying to get the spots out of your eyes to clear it safely.

However when I am in the lead it is no problem for me, I just try to go first, then listen to the others complain later

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
We have LED lights, I am a bit mixed on them. I think they are bright and pretty, but have you ever been dispatched 2 ambulances at once and followed one at night? Its horrible to see, you can't see where command is trying to park you. And it is literally a hazard when coming to intersections and trying to get the spots out of your eyes to clear it safely.

These issues need to be addressed with your leadership staff. If a safety item ends up causing a hazard, it's no longer a safety item.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
We can turn off most of our rear lights when responding at night and are "leading the charge" so to speak. Such a cutoff switch might be an option.

socalmedic

Mediocre at best

However when I am in the lead it is no problem for me, I just try to go first, then listen to the others complain later

there is a very easy way to fix this.... are you ready.... don't drive so damn close!!! you are probably blinding the driver of the ambulance in front too...

Mariemt

Forum Captain
there is a very easy way to fix this.... are you ready.... don't drive so damn close!!! you are probably blinding the driver of the ambulance in front too...

Do you realize how bright these are? We have more LED lights than a Griswold Christmas . Definitely not driving close.

90% of our calls are not hot responses but usually if 2 are going together its a bad accident

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
Do you realize how bright these are? We have more LED lights than a Griswold Christmas . Definitely not driving close.

90% of our calls are not hot responses but usually if 2 are going together its a bad accident

yes, over the last decade I have taken notice of how bright the lights have become. that is why my following distance has increased to one city block, about 1/8 mile. this allows me to see what is happening in front of me, and allows other drivers to realize there are two vehicles coming through the intersections.

if you think the LEDs on the back are bright, you should have seen when we had wig-wag headlight flashers on the high beams... its a bad idea to blind the people who are driving toward you:unsure:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Socal is right, if they are too bright then you are following too far behind. It's actually probably a good thing all things considered. Brighter lights=greater following distance.

We have wig wags where I work on the ambulances, I don't use them at night.