perfect example of a "vanbulance"

Attachments

• EMSAmbulance_027small.jpg
    EMSAmbulance_027small.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 440

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Makes me wonder how visible they are in the daytime.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Our new unit will have noting but strobes & LED bars... I too worry about day time & peripheral lighting...

Be safe,
Ridryder 911

trishbug

Forum Ride Along
We just got a new rig that has LED lights on it. I really like it - they're incredibly bright. At night there is no way a person can miss them and in day they're still clear.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
The point was that they're incredibly bright when you are looking directly at them. They're not so noticable when you're looking at them in your peripheral vision.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
LED's mixed with strobes in the corners works very nicely. Supposedly there is a new LED lightbar that is coming out that actually throws the light out like a rotating halogen or strobe bar. I'll update this when I find out more info.

elaugesen

Forum Ride Along
LED Lights on units

We pioneered the use of LED's on our Pierce engine which was purchased in 2001, (We had a lot of discussion with the salesman) since then they have become standard equipment on Pierce Engines per the same salesman. I have found that if used properly they are just as bright as Halogen or Strobe lights here in Florida. The strobe lights in bright sun were dim unless you were directly in front of them, same for some of the first generation LED's. They now manufacture them to be NFPA compliant and the LED's are angled in rows from one side to the other so there is a greater coverage field for vision. We found that the expected load of 300+ amps draw on the engine was reduced to approx. 70 amps by the use of LED's and the initial cost when setting up the spec's for a unit in minimal. If the saleman tries to tell you different get hold of a rep for the lighting company. The initial difference on our units is usually around $400.00 more for LED's but the long term reduction in replacement costs can be 10 times that. We have only experienced one failure in 8 years.

elaugesen

Forum Ride Along
Respectfully, you are absolutely correct, however the debat6e is still raging in some areas. My apologies if I offended anyone.:blush:

mikie

Forum Lurker
Respectfully, you are absolutely correct, however the debat6e is still raging in some areas. My apologies if I offended anyone.:blush:

Doubtful you offended anyone. Personally, I don't care that the thread is 'reopened,' just pointing it out. Furthermore, I didn't realize it was still a raging debat6e.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
This thread is 4 years old...^_^

Wow, hadn't even noticed!

Our units use a combination of mostly LED technology, augmented with clear white rotators on the front light bar. My very unscientific observation is that traffic directly in front of the unit has a much longer warning time as compared to older units with traditional light bars. As we are in a primarily suburban/rural environment with the only "downtown" section being near the hospital, this works well for us.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Well since I wasn't even on this site when this thread started........

Our new rigs have all LED warning and rear DOT lights. Of our two older rigs, one has all Haolgen and one has combination Halogen/Strobe. Personally, I'm not impressed with the visibility of the halogen rotaters on our older rig. The flashers are okay from far away, but the beam is so focused, that they really don't do much up close. The LEDs however have blinding long-range viz and excellent, but not overly bright, close-range viz. On our newest rig we have two small white light modules on the brush gaurd. They are great! I wish we had them in the LED lightbar also. We havent used those untill now because they reflect pretty bad in the snow. (I tried suggesting that we just run all the white lights through a seperate switch, after the emercency master, that kills the white lights only. That way you can have white lights in the system, but you can also have the abaility to shut them off in the snow. We already have one for the headlight flasher. But I am just the new guy, so.............)

On the engine at my fire station, all the lights are halogen (except for two LEDs above the headlights), but there are so many of them it desent seem to matter. Also the reflector configuration is a whole lot better than on the amb. Once again however, the lightbar (halogen rotaters), with the exception of the white rotator in the center dosent seem to have the same eye catching abaility of LEDs.

What really does catch attention forward is the pre-empt/opticom module. Especally if it is one of the larger ones.

emtfarva

Forum Captain
OK. This is an old post, so what.

We just recived a newer truck from AEV. All though it is a Sprinter, AEV completely went with LEDs. This truck is very, very bright. It is the only truck I have seen that the lights ping off of road signs in the broad daylight 1/2 mile away. What I like about LEDs is that they draw less current, so you can run them while you are parked and still have more power to run other equipment while attending to the PT.

cookiexd40

Forum Crew Member
all the lights on our frazier ambulances are LED...we love them...
20220824E.jpg

guardian528

Forum Lieutenant
amr here used to have a whole fleet of the standard leader ambulances, but they just got a couple of those euro sprinter looking ambulances with full LED setup's. main lightbar is extremely bright, but of course has the problem of less visibility from the sides and whatnot

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
What really does catch attention forward is the pre-empt/opticom module. Especally if it is one of the larger ones.

Opticom is the big white strobe light, right? We have those on all of our rigs :]

JPINFV

Gadfly
Not all ambulances have light bars, and too be honest, the one's I've seen that don't work better anyways. That said, the one I have seen in action had a few more lights in that strip of lights along the front side of the box.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Opticom is the big white strobe light, right? We have those on all of our rigs :]

The ones be have are pretty small:
1314_A0520-4.jpg

The bigger ones are the size of the standard square halogen flasher on the sides of the box. Those are eye catchers!B)