LED Lights on Ambulance?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I think the LED lights on cop cars is great. While it makes them harder to spot, I like how bright they are.

Has anyone seen LEDs on an ambulance? Whether it be the main light bar or on the sides / back, I'm wondering if such a setup exists.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Philly's newer rigs have LED's instead of Halogen on the box. I like I like...

I've also seen LED brake lights. - really cool when they do a quick flash before coming on...

Jon

eightonesix

Forum Ride Along
our trucks have led turn signals, brake lights and pancake lights on the back. additionally, the rear lightbar is all led.

they're very effective from a distance and during bright sun. i find they do better than the halogens in almost all conditions.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
my rig has dual led/strobes on the fenders, but everything else is just strobes

now my personal vehicle.....thats another story. all led's.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I like the LED's for brake, turn, and tail lights. I also like them for the "secondary" lights on the ambulance box. I still think the front lightbar should be a 52" MX7000 all light, clear with red filters, and the grille and fender lights should be strobe. Also, on the back beside each door should be a combination halogen / Strobe light, and all DOT lights should be LED.

Jon

BloodNGlory02

Forum Crew Member
Our newest rig (roadrescue) has a rear LED light bar. its bright as heck and low maintenance compared to the strobes and halogens. We're looking into ALL led's on our next squad.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
leds are great. they require less energy, are typically brighter, last umpteen million times longer plus they look badass. from personal experience, theyre also cheaper. big fan here

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Apr 18 2005, 06:10 PM
I like the LED's for brake, turn, and tail lights. I also like them for the "secondary" lights on the ambulance box. I still think the front lightbar should be a 52" MX7000 all light, clear with red filters, and the grille and fender lights should be strobe. Also, on the back beside each door should be a combination halogen / Strobe light, and all DOT lights should be LED.

Jon
I agree with this statement. It's been my experience that LED's don't "project" as well as strobes or halogens. What I mean by this is that you pretty much have to be looking at the LED to notice it. It doesn't reflect off buildings and such as well as strobes or halogens, and this is very important for blind corners. I've noticed the same problems with the law enforcement agencies around here that use them.

I'm a big fan of LED's for the DOT lights, such as brakes and turn signals, even the flashers on the rear of the ambulance. As far as the front light bar goes, give me a strobe or halogen set any day.

NJEMTB

Forum Ride Along
my squad purchased a new pl and it is LED everything box the brake lights to the box lights to the lightbars very nice cant complain but sometimes its just too bright when you are working right next to the lights

ECC

Forum Captain
Our two new busses have all LED set ups...They are available in full size lightbar configurations, and I like it. Looks like a UFO landing!

rdkl

Forum Crew Member
I am a big fan of LED lights. I run nothing but LED on my truck. That being said, I install all of the lights, radios, etc for our rigs and I have to say as far as lighting goes, nothing beats a good ol Halogen rotator bar as far as being noticed. Strobes tend to be brighter, but the movement you get on the rotators still seems to be the best in my book.

I prefer LED because if you are looking at them directly, they are very bright, but mostly because they use very little power. I already have a pretty big power drain in my truck and rather than upgrade the electrical, its easier to go LED. LEDs also tend to be a lot easier to install and wire.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
The big problem I see is that LEDs are so expensive.

Our BLS Type II ambulances have the worst light bars, I can't even describe them. They look cheap and dont seem to throw off much light.

I'll take a picture when I go into work tomorrow (today).

ECC

Forum Captain
Blue is really expensive as compared to the other colors.

lukepye

Forum Ride Along
Our Service switched to LED lights several years ago and found them very effective. They have good visibilty a long life and pull less current than older halogen lights. The cost continues to come down and the are now comparable priced with strobes, except you don't have to have a power supply.

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
A private company out here hav 1 truck... type 3... with all LED's. I think that it is the most hideous thing anybody could do to an ambulance.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
LED lighting assumes the most lumens per watt, Home Power advocated it years ago, and now that 'lectrickity is around $.13 a kilowatt hr here it's gained the notice of more than just the save the whales crowd....

i like the flashlights and headlamps they have out now...

i wear one of these when i really feel like stylin'...
2005121173453.jpg

next up~ wind powered suction on rigs! :p

~S~

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Never know...

They have engine powered, Vacuum pump powered, manual, foot powered and oxygen powered...

Why not small windmills on the roof?

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
I agree with ffemt8978 about light projection, especially during the day. Our trucks are all LED and they are difficult to see during the day. They look cool at night, but I'd prefer strobes anyday...............

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
I believe that as the price goes down ALL EMS vehicles will have LED's. The main reason is a low draw on the electrical system and no bulbs to replace.

At first I didn't like them when a police department I was working for went to them, but it is a funny thing to learn that when the battery can't crank the engine but will still lights up the LED's.

(Like a person leaves the radio or headlights on)