Leatherman Raptor

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
I've never had anyone try to grab anything off my belt either. That said, one of my favorite things about the Raptor is that I can clip it to a pocket. Our uniform pants don't have a trauma shear pocket, so it's nice not having to have them stuck in my belt anymore.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I've never had anyone try to grab anything off my belt either. That said, one of my favorite things about the Raptor is that I can clip it to a pocket. Our uniform pants don't have a trauma shear pocket, so it's nice not having to have them stuck in my belt anymore.

They don't fit in the 5.11 pants shears pocket.

samiam

Amazing Member
I don't wear anything on my belt. I have a raptor and a leather man multitool but everything stays in my pockets. Has no one ever had a pt try to grab things off their belt? It happened to me once and now everything stays in the pockets.
I have had someone take my ID bade with the auto retraction cord and try to strangle me with it. That was fun! I try not to have anything grab-able sticking out. Especially with psyc patients. Imagine if it was a pair of scissors.

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

You're stuck w/ me now (insert evil laughter here)
Eek!! That would scar me for life. Glad you're ok!!

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

You're stuck w/ me now (insert evil laughter here)
I'm glad they were there! Ufda!

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
I got a pair of the Raptor shears for one reason: oxygen wrench. We SHOULD have one in our O2 bag that the tank is in, but on more than one occasion it's been MIA and we've gone scrambling looking for one so we can change a tank (think CPAP). They also fold up nicely, though they are a little bulky. Word to the wise though, if you ever hand them off to someone else to start hacking away at clothing, do them and yourself a favor by unfolding them first or you may wind up with an overzealous firefighter bending or breaking them as they try to figure out how to unfold them.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
image.jpg
These work too.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
So do the pliers on my wave.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
I'm still waiting for an opportunity to bust out a window with the punch. Never in all my years have I gotten to bust out a window...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm still waiting for an opportunity to bust out a window with the punch. Never in all my years have I gotten to bust out a window...

I got to do it the other day. My trainee was like "I'll go get the window tool" nope, you wait right there...pow! Worked great although I was a little concerned about being overzealous and putting my hand through the window even wearing my Globe extrication jacket and mechanix gloves.

The only people who ever poke fun at others for having one of these have one themselves. It's turned into a giant joke amongst all of us.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I got to do it the other day. My trainee was like "I'll go get the window tool" nope, you wait right there...pow! Worked great although I was a little concerned about being overzealous and putting my hand through the window even wearing my Globe extrication jacket and mechanix gloves.

The only people who ever poke fun at others for having one of these have one themselves. It's turned into a giant joke amongst all of us.
You guys do extrication out there?

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
We can do extrication as EMS in CO. However, Its a dual response w/ fire, so we usually just assist them with extrication. We are provided w/ extrication gear upon hire.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

HGH does all their own extrication, their heavy rescue is badass and also completely transport capable. I'm not sure if all their units carry extrication tools but I know they have the heavy rescue then a couple trucks of medium-duty chassis that carry all sorts of extrication gear. EMS out there is paid while fire is volunteer.

Fire does ours however they were still a couple minutes out and we needed rapid access into the passenger compartment. We're all issued "extrication" jackets and helmets. Since I'm one of the people who's been around longer I still have a nomex Globe jacket vs the new 5.11 tow truck driver looking jacket they issue now. I was wearing because it was raining and there's always a set of work gloves in the pocket so I popped them on real quick and popped the window furthest from the patient.

All our units have a window punch though.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I don't do extrication, I do "patient access" while waiting for fire to arrive on vehicles that are not unstable. Webbing, extrication gloves, coat, eye protection, and some tools.

Just once we may have to put on the ATV helmets while getting after it just for the priceless reaction that they would no doubt elicit.

Honeybadger

Forum Crew Member
I'm not too thrilled with mine. The steel doesn't hold an edge all that well, the seatbelt cutter and oxygen wrench cant really be ussd unless the knife is folded completely, the fit and finish isn't great, the handles are INSANELY uncomfortable and the nylon handle stop that keeps the shears from rotating backwards when it's closed is too small and too flinsy, and the assembly bending will pop it past that too easily. I have no use for the ring cutter (dental floss stays in my rig for that purpose) and the seatbelt cutter is kind of redundant, and nobody should really be using the glass breaker. All you're left with is a slightly heavier duty pair of penny cutters with an oxygen wrench. Even at $35, I wouldnt recommend them, though I do keep them on my belt, it was not money well spent.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I'm not too thrilled with mine. The steel doesn't hold an edge all that well, the seatbelt cutter and oxygen wrench cant really be ussd unless the knife is folded completely, the fit and finish isn't great, the handles are INSANELY uncomfortable and the nylon handle stop that keeps the shears from rotating backwards when it's closed is too small and too flinsy, and the assembly bending will pop it past that too easily. I have no use for the ring cutter (dental floss stays in my rig for that purpose) and the seatbelt cutter is kind of redundant, and nobody should really be using the glass breaker. All you're left with is a slightly heavier duty pair of penny cutters with an oxygen wrench. Even at $35, I wouldnt recommend them, though I do keep them on my belt, it was not money well spent.
Why should no one ever use the glass breaker?