LA County EMT arrested after being accused by LAPD Sergeant of assaulting patient

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobBarker

Forum Lieutenant
Did the Sgt. want him to let the patient just jump out of a moving ambulance?
The officers should be disciplined and the department's reputation would be a lot better if they had more transparency. This guy deserves $$$, hopefully enough to constitute a punitive punishment to avoid this from happening in the future. It's the actions of bad cops like this that get good cops hurt, unfortunately.
That female Sgt. should probably go to a physical fitness program also before hitting the streets again, looks like she couldn't help him hold her down either yet alone run after a foot pursuit suspect without being in the back of the ambulance herself

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Agreed

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Did the Sgt. want him to let the patient just jump out of a moving ambulance?
The officers should be disciplined and the department's reputation would be a lot better if they had more transparency. This guy deserves $$$, hopefully enough to constitute a punitive punishment to avoid this from happening in the future. It's the actions of bad cops like this that get good cops hurt, unfortunately.
That female Sgt. should probably go to a physical fitness program also before hitting the streets again, looks like she couldn't help him hold her down either yet alone run after a foot pursuit suspect without being in the back of the ambulance herself

So...ALL EMS workers are in perfect shape. Everyone believes one side of a story before the facts are in. The news NEVER gets half the story...right?

BobBarker

Forum Lieutenant
So...ALL EMS workers are in perfect shape. Everyone believes one side of a story before the facts are in. The news NEVER gets half the story...right?
Where did I say they are all in perfect shape? If after only hours of holding him they looked at the body camera footage and determined no crime was committed and chalked it up as a "misunderstanding", that's a big indication of what happened. Especially when the person reporting the "assault" is a Sgt who has more experience and education then a normal officer. Normally an investigation takes a lot longer than a couple hours to figure out and it would be the DA telling you there is insufficient evidence to warrant a charge.
And how is the news supposed to get the other side of the story when LAPD says they don't comment? LOL. If LAPD commented, believe me, that **** would have been in the story.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh yeah, all my buddies still at McCormick are pissed right now, and I'm certainly less than happy myself... I'm firmly of the opinion the LAPD at a bare minimum needs to make a formal, public apology to both the EMT and McCormick as a whole...

What I'm still confused about is why there was an LAPD officer (Sergeant whatever) riding in on a emergent seizure call, vs whatever fire medic. I know McCormick took over more territory after i left, but none of McCormick jurisdiction overlaps LAPD jurisdiction so I'm confused about how the whole situation happened in the first place...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Oh yeah, all my buddies still at McCormick are pissed right now, and I'm certainly less than happy myself... I'm firmly of the opinion the LAPD at a bare minimum needs to make a formal, public apology to both the EMT and McCormick as a whole...

What I'm still confused about is why there was an LAPD officer (Sergeant whatever) riding in on a emergent seizure call, vs whatever fire medic. I know McCormick took over more territory after i left, but none of McCormick jurisdiction overlaps LAPD jurisdiction so I'm confused about how the whole situation happened in the first place...
The patient was a female sexual assault patient who had a seizure. So the officer probably rode in because 1. She was a female and 2. Because there was a reported crime.

OP
OP
Amberlamps916

I've been trying to figure that out as well.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
The patient was a female sexual assault patient who had a seizure. So the officer probably rode in because 1. She was a female and 2. Because there was a reported crime.
Yeah but pretty much everywhere its LAPD jurisdiction for the sexual assault patient is also LAFDs jurisdiction for ambulance response is what I mean

I've def had plenty of LASD Deputies ride in on various cases, but never LAPD

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Yeah but pretty much everywhere its LAPD jurisdiction for the sexual assault patient is also LAFDs jurisdiction for ambulance response is what I mean

I've def had plenty of LASD Deputies ride in on various cases, but never LAPD
Without knowing much about the system is it possible that they were running a mutual aid for LAFD as a closer ambulance or something along those lines?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Talking to a buddy of mine, sounds more like LAPD was in Countys area for reasons? They said LACoFD BLS'd the call in West Hollywood, which is a County Sheriffs area, but is a small "island" surrounded by LA City (the McCormick WeHo station is technically in LA City limits) , but still, there's no shortage of Deputies in WeHo either, so idk, but makes slightly more sense that the cops were mixing each other's areas up, LAFD and LACoFD can get pretty territorial with eachother over their areas lol (though it seems they're happy enough to both jump on the brush fires when it's a border area)

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
Apparently the EMT was fired by the ambulance company.

Source: From one of his partners on a thread on R/EMS regarding this incident.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Just here for the comments... that is all.

giphy.gif

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Apparently the EMT was fired by the ambulance company.

Source: From one of his partners on a thread on R/EMS regarding this incident.
Just curious, was he fire for the incident, or an unapproved interview in a company uniform (seen that one used as a catch all).

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
Just curious, was he fire for the incident, or an unapproved interview in a company uniform (seen that one used as a catch all).

I'm not sure but I'd definitely agree with that being the most likely cause.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
ok, something doesn't add up.... ok, many things don't add up

1) why was the EMT fired from the ambulance company?
2) how is an arrest, with the resulting charges being dropped a "personnel matter" for the LAPD?
3) why is the LAPD officer threatening to taze an EMT?
4) Why wasn't the LAPD Sgt trying to prevent the patient from jumping out of the moving ambulance?
5) if the patient was actively seizing, why was not a paramedic called?
6) why wasn't a mccormick supervisor requested to the scene to diffuse this situation?

Based solely on the news reporting (and I'm sure there is much more to this story), it would appear that the EMT might have a valid civil suit against the LAPD. especially for damages to his career that he suffered as a result of this false imprisonment. There has to be more to this story, but based on the reported facts, it looks bad for the LAPD.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
What requirement exists for an Officer to stop the patient from jumping out of the rig?

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
What requirement exists for an Officer to stop the patient from jumping out of the rig?
The same ones that require them to prevent a person from jumping off a bridge. Least that is my assumption.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, according to one of my buddies at McCormick, he's not fired, though on some type of leave

Status
Not open for further replies.