Keeping a jump bag in your car?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I use my first aid kit on myself all the time. As a matter of fact, the running joke is when I'm doing anything with tools, a band-aid should be already opened and ready to be deployed. :)

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I use my first aid kit on myself all the time. As a matter of fact, the running joke is when I'm doing anything with tools, a band-aid should be already opened and ready to be deployed. :)
That's me when doing maintenance on a car. It's a rare day that I finish the job and I'm not bleeding. :blink:

I have several aid kits. Some are more for sports, some are more for myself, some are more set up as a jump kit that I could just put on an ambulance and use it. About the only time I have one (any of them) in the car is when I'm going somewhere I'm likely to use one. Otherwise, I don't generally carry any sort of an aid kit with me.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I have a bag in my car, it lives under the first row of seats. It has an assortment of bandaids and bandages, cold packs and warm packs, also meds like tylenol, ibuprophen, and benadryl. There is an epi pen in there also.

I have too many kids to get myself in a situation where we don't have proper first aid. In our rural area, there is no guarantee on whether the ambulance is coming.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
I have a blow out kit for shooting that lives in my trunk that has some gloves , quickclot, cat tq, some gauze and a pressure dressing.... None of which would do any good outside of a freak accident at the range.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
This subject makes me weary. After professionally managing a trauma bag and an ACLS bag system, and now a first aid kit system as a volunteer.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I do not carry any sort of jump bag in my car. I do, however, carry my Craftsman 260 piece mechanics toolkit and an OBD-II scanner (Actron). This has proven to be WAY more useful and used more often than a jump bag.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I'm going to have to answer yes only because I carry a gallon zip lock bag of 4x4's tape and asprin along with some basic bandaging and splinting stuff in it. Now this bag happens to be in my SAR bag that I keep in my car. And the chances of me using it for anyone besides on a sar mission is well... never unless it is my wife or family. Though I do have a pocket mask available. Does that count?

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
It's black cable to left nipple and red to right, right? Or do I have it backwards, help!

You got it right, you must have paid attention in class:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou0nh-8mNYg[/YOUTUBE]

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
back.jpg

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Not being totally familiar with what a jump bag is, I do have a some stuff in my car which I would call a modifed first aid kit. It contains a small pharmacy and various first aids bits. Panadol, ibuprofen, aspirin, codeine, metoclopramide, phenergan, a PPI, PO sodium bic, electrolyte replacement powders, gastro stop and a few other bits and pieces. Honestly, its prettymuch all for hangovers symptoms in various combinations.

Uses in order of those that occur most frequently:
- headaches at work.
- home use when I run out of various things in my home medicine cabinet.
- curing hangovers.
- piercing my lip at a friends house because I was suddenly overwhelmed by a need to have my lip ring back.
- first aid for various minor injuries mostly in myself because I'm an idot.

I suppose I could use it on someone out and about but honestly the last first aid situation I was involved in involving a stranger was when I was about 6. My grandfather and I came across a young girl who had been hit in the head by half a brick. His hanky did the trick. So I have to say I'm not terribly concerned about this happening much.

The only other time I suppose I could have "rendered aid" (whatever than means), was when I walked into a coffee shop for my morning buzz and found a bunch of people sitting around a person who was apparently post ictal. A bit of eaves dropping revealed that an ambulance had been called and that she was on the mend anyway. I just don't see the point of getting involved in situations like this. Sure CPR, serious haemorrhage control (in the form of telling someone else to do them), but wha do you really achieve in most circumstances. Its not like I'm so cool and jaded and over EMS or anything. I love my job but I really feel like I need a clear barrier between it and my personal life.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Uses in order of those that occur most frequently:
- headaches at work.
- home use when I run out of various things in my home medicine cabinet.
- curing hangovers.
- piercing my lip at a friends house because I was suddenly overwhelmed by a need to have my lip ring back.
- first aid for various minor injuries mostly in myself because I'm an idot.
If anyone is wondering what to put in their shiny new Galls jump bag, I suggest taking this man's suggestions. If you have a kit that can solve these issues, you're set.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If anyone is wondering what to put in their shiny new Galls jump bag, I suggest taking this man's suggestions. If you have a kit that can solve these issues, you're set.

Agreed

Veneficus

Forum Chief
or...

they could not order incredibly overpriced crap from Galls and send half of the money they saved to me for the insight.

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
More appropriate for us and everyone else is a more versatile 3 Day Bag/72 Hour Bag/Get Home Bag/Bail Out Bag.

It will include the most basic first aid stuff as mentioned in addition to clothing, water, cash, emergency blanket, fire starting stuff, flashlight, knife and/or multitool.

Makes a lot more sense.

Remeber343

Forum Lieutenant
Or just not carry one with you....? I have one. It's required by my district to carry because sometimes I'll have to respond off duty. That's the only reason I have one, if I wasn't required I wouldn't. It adds weight to the car which means I cant go as fast... I love speed.

Steam Engine

Forum Lieutenant
*A few pairs of gloves
*Assorted band-aids
*Neosporin
*A few 4x4s
*Waterproof tape
*Coban
*Acetaminophen
*Diphenhydramine
*Loperamide
*"Rescue Hook" (which, to this point, has only ever been used to cut rope and fishing line).

It lives somewhere in my backseat or in my day pack. So far I've been the only patient privy to it.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Box of gloves, aspirin and a 10cc flush o.o that last one is for when I paintballing, had paint drip into my eye once that thing was a life saver

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I think it's funny that people thinks it's silly for folks to drop 500 bucks on a jump bad they'll never use but some of these folks probably have a 1000 dollar set of golf clubs in the closet or a mountain bike that still have the tags on them after years of not being used. Just saying :)

Just for the record I have both a set of golf clubs and a bike both of which I've used maybe a dozen times each.

Cup of Joe

Forum Captain
Any extra gloves in my pocket get placed in the glove compartment of my car. I also have my cell phone. An ambulance is only a few minutes behind the first 911 call, so I really don't see the need to have anything more.

I usually just pull up alongside, and ask if they called 911 already. They say yes, and I'm on my way. If they say no, well, I'll see how it works if the time comes.