Just when I thought stupidity in EMS would no longer surprise me........

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
The dept does not officially treat them like human officers but like valuable equipment.

From that perspective, then a HEMS transport could certainly be justified, no?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If I came on scene to a recently killed chicken I would never think "hey, I got time. I'm taking his meat back to my house"

How often does that happen?

In some parts of the country deer are little more than overgrown varmints. We probably run four car vs deer calls a week, and that's just the ones that get called in. If a crew wants to butcher it up for later while staying in service, I suppose it's no big deal.

The stupid part of all this as firetender and everyone else said, is posting it on Facebook. Lots of borderline stuff happens all the time that has no operational impact but doesn't look all that good PR wise.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.

In some parts of the country deer are little more than overgrown varmints. We probably run four car vs deer calls a week, and that's just the ones that get called in. If a crew wants to butcher it up for later while staying in service, I suppose it's no big deal.

The stupid part of all this as firetender and everyone else said, is posting it on Facebook. Lots of borderline stuff happens all the time that has no operational impact but doesn't look all that good PR wise.

Funny, here in DE it happens pretty often. We're a huge poultry production state, and almost every local can tell you a story about "rescuing" a chicken that's fallen off a chicken truck.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Funny, here in DE it happens pretty often. We're a huge poultry production state, and almost every local can tell you a story about "rescuing" a chicken that's fallen off a chicken truck.

Jinx

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant

Putting a little bit of thought into it I see how this would be a common call for some areas. I definitely never gave much thought to this type of call before.

I still think gutting a deer you run a call on is weird :huh:

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
Putting a little bit of thought into it I see how this would be a common call for some areas. I definitely never gave much thought to this type of call before.

I still think gutting a deer you run a call on is weird :huh:
I'm with you. We don't have a lot of wildlife in my area (pretty limited to just javelina and cows), but if I got a call for either, would not put it in the ambo, definitely would not take a picture of it in said ambo. The gutting/ processing... well, javelina does make some good breakfast sausage :lol:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Just about every day around these parts. Sussex County knows how to produce some poultry.

Seems like there wouldn't be a lot left to salvage after a poultry vs. deer TA...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
As others have stated, is that deer a police officer? K-9s are considered officers. If you shoot a K-9 officer you can be charged criminally (and by criminally I mean a felony). If you shoot a deer nothing is probably gonna happen.

I'll admit that they heli is a little extreme but if the officers want a heli for the K-9, I'm not gonna stand in their way.

We actually have a program here that leaves the medic behind and the nurse, handler and K9 fly in the helo to the Puppy TC over the hill in really bad situations. They also fly avalanche dogs to backcountry avalanches with reports of people buried.

While I honor them for not wasting the meat I find this completely inappropriate. Sure they're the backup unit but what happens if two calls pop? Stranger things have happened. Why couldn't they toss it in the back of a utility truck? There really is no excuse or argument for this. It's the epitome of unprofessionalism. Then the comments that ensued made it even worse. How do you plan on explaining to the family that called 911 why the responding unit was delayed? How about if nana ends up with lyme disease or a tick or something?

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Yeah, I was thinking about Lyme's too. Ticks will jump ship as the cadaver cools.

Deer are the most dangerous mammal to humans besides humans, in the USA, primarily regarding traffic accidents. They are becoming more concentrated along watercourses and food sources due to loss of habitat, loss of predator controls. In Nebraska near the PLatte, at dusk, you drive I-80 and can see them all over the place in some areas

JPINFV

Gadfly
So a flight team transporting an injured officer (which K-9s are) with more than adequate available resources left for human patients is on par with a hillbilly ambulance crew that is now the primary unit taking their unit out of service to gut roadkill IN THEIR BUS? Sure...

If a police dog is an "officer" with the same rights as a human, than the c-diff smelling dogs are physicians and should be referred to as such.

It's a dog. Period. If scruffy doesn't get helicopter ride for a boo boo (and someone has to pay for that helicopter ride...), why should the police dog get a ride?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If a police dog is an "officer" with the same rights as a human, than the c-diff smelling dogs are physicians and should be referred to as such.

It's a dog. Period. If scruffy doesn't get helicopter ride for a boo boo (and someone has to pay for that helicopter ride...), why should the police dog get a ride?

It's a dog that the law views as an officer.

JPINFV

Gadfly
It's a dog that the law views as an officer.

Does the law require the use of an ambulance for dogs owned by the police department?

As a tax payer, why am I paying thousands of dollars to medivac a dog?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Does the law require the use of an ambulance for dogs owned by the police department?

As a tax payer, why am I paying thousands of dollars to medivac a dog?

As a tax payer why are we paying thousands of dollars to train these dogs?

I'm not trying to justify a heli for a K-9 but it is often done.

JPINFV

Gadfly
As a tax payer why are we paying thousands of dollars to train these dogs?

I'm not trying to justify a heli for a K-9 but it is often done.

Because they can be, when deployed properly, a useful tool. We pay thousands of dollars for police cars, but we don't airlift them to the mechanic's shop either (ok, bad example, but you get the idea).

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Because they can be, when deployed properly, a useful tool. We pay thousands of dollars for police cars, but we don't airlift them to the mechanic's shop either (ok, bad example, but you get the idea).

Generally speaking when a K-9 is transported it is to 1) save the dogs life and 2) to try to limit the injuries so that the dog can return to the field. Otherwise we are just going to have to spend thousands more on training a new dog.

I can see why some areas fly them (not every town has a 24/7 vet).

malolava

Forum Probie
Sh-h-h-h. The deer was a confidential informant for Fish and Game.

Yeah, I agree, stupid, but relatively harmless stupid. Better than the entire shift at a small residential local FD station who were fired for group sex.

where and when was this?