Joining the USAR as a 68w; Worth it?

KetamineBolus

Forum Ride Along
I‘m considering joining the Army Reserve as a EMT-P. I wanted some advice from some guys who have done it, to know if it’s worth putting in the work for. I’ve got a great job as is, and sacrifices would be made in my personal life to make it work. I don’t want doing this to be a mistake.

I’ve always wanted to serve, but I had reasons why I couldn‘t at the time. A recruiter called me up yesterday and talked to me about it, and it’s got me thinking. I really want to do the real combat medic stuff. Doing combat drills, shooting, room clearing, field medicine, CASEVAC, having the honor of wearing the uniform; It would be worth it to do all these things.

Will I actually do ANY of that in the reserve? That‘s my question. I don’t want to be spending drill giving flu shots in an office. I’d rather just pursue a reserve job as a SWAT Medic, if that’s the case. (I know more than a few PD’s where I can do that.)

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Yeah if what you are describing is what you want to be doing then I’d say don’t join. A majority of what you do as a 68w isn’t at the paramedic level and you’re not going to be running a rifle like you are talking about. A majority of what you do would be working in a clinic doing sick call. For reference I’m a civilian paramedic for the Army and the 68w’s that I interact with rarely do anything truly interesting unless they are on a deployment and even then it’s not a lot of what you are talking about.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
^^This^^

@KetamineBolus
What you get out of your military service is what you're willing to put into it. The military is not about to spend a bunch of time and money training you to be a high speed low drag spec ops medic in exchange for one weekend a month and two weeks a year in return. There's a reason the military doesn't have a bunch of Tier One groups in the reserves...it doesn't get enough return on it's investment.

Oh, and here's a hard learned secret any vet will tell you. If you're recruiter's lips are moving, he is lieing.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Not a military guy here (Navy BRAT though) and from what I've seen on here and in the past is that most of the time the 68W's in the reserves don't get to do all the HSLD stuff that the active duty guys do. While you'd probably get trained to do that stuff, unless you get deployed, you'd likely end up doing sick call and similar duties the vast majority of the time. Frankly, for the stuff you want to do, you'd probably get to do more of it doing Law Enforcement than you would likely get in the Reserves. Now then if you were lucky enough to get assigned to a unit that does a LOT of SAR work, you'd get to do some stuff as a Paramedic/68W but you'd get little of the rest of the stuff you're looking for.

My advice is simple: stay where you're at or go LE and try to get into SWAT or a similar type of team.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
No good military or law enforcement program is going to have their medics at the front of the stack clearing rooms. Having your medic get shot because of unnecessary risk is poor tactics.

OP
KetamineBolus

KetamineBolus

Forum Ride Along
No good military or law enforcement program is going to have their medics at the front of the stack clearing rooms. Having your medic get shot because of unnecessary risk is poor tactics.
Right, you’d be in the back of the stack. That makes good sense!

Luno

OG
Premium Member
I‘m considering joining the Army Reserve as a EMT-P. I wanted some advice from some guys who have done it, to know if it’s worth putting in the work for. I’ve got a great job as is, and sacrifices would be made in my personal life to make it work. I don’t want doing this to be a mistake.

I’ve always wanted to serve, but I had reasons why I couldn‘t at the time. A recruiter called me up yesterday and talked to me about it, and it’s got me thinking. I really want to do the real combat medic stuff. Doing combat drills, shooting, room clearing, field medicine, CASEVAC, having the honor of wearing the uniform; It would be worth it to do all these things.

Will I actually do ANY of that in the reserve? That‘s my question. I don’t want to be spending drill giving flu shots in an office. I’d rather just pursue a reserve job as a SWAT Medic, if that’s the case. (I know more than a few PD’s where I can do that.)
Simple answer is No, the more detailed answer is that the combat medics don't get to do combat medical stuff. Combat drills? (MARCH/Tourniquet once or twice a year) Shooting? (24 hours wasted for 80 rounds) Room Clearing? (you're not 11B, get that out of your head) Field Medicine? (Change your socks, drink water will become your mantra) CASEVAC? (Wait, we've gotta bring this guy in to the local hospital in a van because he has an infection from the 21 day no shower challenge?) Having the honor of wearing the uniform (you know wool gets really hot, and wrinkles really badly, right?) Better get used to exhaust samples from an FLA and the never ending line of flu shots. Yes, I am currently a 68W working on the reserve side (NG). Want the gov't to pay off your school loans< ok, possible good reason...

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Simple answer is No, the more detailed answer is that the combat medics don't get to do combat medical stuff. Combat drills? (MARCH/Tourniquet once or twice a year) Shooting? (24 hours wasted for 80 rounds) Room Clearing? (you're not 11B, get that out of your head) Field Medicine? (Change your socks, drink water will become your mantra) CASEVAC? (Wait, we've gotta bring this guy in to the local hospital in a van because he has an infection from the 21 day no shower challenge?) Having the honor of wearing the uniform (you know wool gets really hot, and wrinkles really badly, right?) Better get used to exhaust samples from an FLA and the never ending line of flu shots. Yes, I am currently a 68W working on the reserve side (NG). Want the gov't to pay off your school loans< ok, possible good reason...
Welcome back stranger.

Luno

OG
Premium Member