Joining the USAR as a 68w; Worth it?

Chris EMT J

Forum Lieutenant
This isn't really related to the topic but a very interesting choice of a username.... Ketamine bolus is that even a thing? Lol

bonesaw

Forum Probie
A
I‘m considering joining the Army Reserve as a EMT-P. I wanted some advice from some guys who have done it, to know if it’s worth putting in the work for. I’ve got a great job as is, and sacrifices would be made in my personal life to make it work. I don’t want doing this to be a mistake.

I’ve always wanted to serve, but I had reasons why I couldn‘t at the time. A recruiter called me up yesterday and talked to me about it, and it’s got me thinking. I really want to do the real combat medic stuff. Doing combat drills, shooting, room clearing, field medicine, CASEVAC, having the honor of wearing the uniform; It would be worth it to do all these things.

Will I actually do ANY of that in the reserve? That‘s my question. I don’t want to be spending drill giving flu shots in an office. I’d rather just pursue a reserve job as a SWAT Medic, if that’s the case. (I know more than a few PD’s where I can do that.)

Pretty much what every one else has said. If you go with an infantry unit in the guard you can get with a line company and run around in the woods with an infantry platoon but you are very much in the rear setting up the casualty collection point and sitting with the psg. Most of your real “medic “ stuff will be doling out advil/Tylenol etc. The grunts will treat you very well and you will have a lot of freedom. Any other 68w role is usually in an aid station or clinic. If you’re looking for cool guy spooky door kicking there’s 2 guard sf groups. If you go active there are medics in 160th and the few I have worked with love their jobs. They are heavy on the spooky stuff and very light on paramedic level care. PJs are similar, the role is CSAR and the best in the world at it. They do get the paramedic cert like the guys going through the w10 or socm course but it’s not their role. They are experts at csar that get some combat medic training with enough military loopholes to take the paramedic test and pass with minimal paramedic training (which is understandable since most of their training time is dedicated to their primary role)
Army active and guard do have flight medic units that are paramedic /critical care level but there is no “door kicking” and it’s 90% focused on als/critical care medicine and 10% on maintaining flight hours as a crew member.
What was already mentioned about coast guard swimmers is spot on. Those guys are nuts and again prob the best in the world at picking people out of the ocean in terrifying weather conditions army DUSTOFF would never fly in.

bonesaw

Forum Probie
This isn't really related to the topic but a very interesting choice of a username.... Ketamine bolus is that even a thing? Lol
All the time! I usually push dose ketamine and fent for transport.

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
I know in the US Coast Guard, if you have your EMT, Paramedic, Law Enforcement, or even Firefighter you can come in directly as a petty officer 3rd class. I have seen even police officers come into the USCG Reserve as a Direct petty officer 3rd class.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah. We’ve been doing it for years. Not HS though. You can’t challenge that Rate.

Kavsuvb

Forum Captain
Yeah. We’ve been doing it for years. Not HS though. You can’t challenge that Rate.
They are doing it for all rates in the USCG and I have even seen an RN go in as a Direct petty officer 3rd class as an HM. I have even seen NYPD police officers enlist directly as a ME3 in the USCG. The Rules are it's based on your professional qualifications, education, or a combination of prior service. It has to be easily transferable to a US Coast Guard Rate such as HM, BM, ME, DC, MK or MST

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
They are doing it for all rates in the USCG and I have even seen an RN go in as a Direct petty officer 3rd class as an HM. I have even seen NYPD police officers enlist directly as a ME3 in the USCG. The Rules are it's based on your professional qualifications, education, or a combination of prior service. It has to be easily transferable to a US Coast Guard Rate such as HM, BM, ME, DC, MK or MST
**throws popcorn**

So, you’re like the volunteer usher at the VA or something right?

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
As one who did this program, and served, I’ve got a bit more claim to this subject than a volunteer who gets mixed up quite frequently and posts fantasy more than reality.

The overall Civilian Acquired Skills Program (Direct PO Program) has been going on for at least 25 plus years.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Play nice. This is the only warning

David TriviumCMT

Forum Ride Along
Nothing to add to this thread, but what an an interesting read from a Brit Police/Military/SAR EMT perspective.