Is trainning division .com a legitamate EMT-P school?

Zalan

Forum Crew Member
I`m taking Emt-B class atm at community college. However, after I get done with the class have 2yrs of pre-requists, & then 2yrs of Paramedic class to take to become EMT-P in the state of Indiana.

I was looking into Alternatives to this. A guy at work recomended trainning divsion .com. He was taking the class himself. I`m kind of warry of anything online. Are they a Scam or a Legit School?

medic417

The Truth Provider
There are better online Paramedic programs. All still require trips to their locations for hands on. Plus you will have to still do clinicals. If you decide online is for you try www.percomonline.com or www.techproservices.net .

Many people that try to do online spend the money but do not have the self discipline to finish. If you tend to procrastinate online is not for you.

terrible one

Always wandering
I'm wary of anything online, in my experience you don't get the same education you receive in class.
Why not just go to a traditional in class school?

OP
OP
Z

Zalan

Forum Crew Member
Going to a tradional school means its a 4 year process for me. I have to take a few refresher courses, & then the pre-requist class which will take 2 yrs.

Intro to College Writing II
English Composition
A&P I
A&P II

In that order before I can even enter into the paramedic program which is a 2 yrs degree program. There are no other Paramedic programs in the area beside the local community college.

terrible one

Always wandering
Ok, I understand that it might take a little longer the traditional route but education should not be a race.
Taking an extra 4 classes + refreshers that are very beneficial to a paramedic career will help you in your program and in your career. Also two english classes and two A&P classes can easily be done in one year.
Another benefit is getting a degree. I doubt your online school will give you one. If decide to go another route as far as a career having a 2 year degree is better than not having one. I wouldn't short step the education process just to get out and attempt to find a job sooner especially in this economy.
Of course it is your choice, but to me spending an extra few years in school to get a hands on education and a degree is well worth the time.
Good Luck either way

medic417

The Truth Provider
I'm wary of anything online, in my experience you don't get the same education you receive in class.
Why not just go to a traditional in class school?

Actually even medical schools now post the lectures online so basically you are attending the book part online.

The quality programs will educate you as well if not better than most traditional programs. Now at this point not aware of any that you can end up with a degree, but I am sure that will be coming.

terrible one

Always wandering
Actually even medical schools now post the lectures online so basically you are attending the book part online.

The quality programs will educate you as well if not better than most traditional programs. Now at this point not aware of any that you can end up with a degree, but I am sure that will be coming.

Interesting. I've taken 6 college classes online and would much prefer the in class setting. But that is just me and I feel like I got a lot more out of traditional classes.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Interesting. I've taken 6 college classes online and would much prefer the in class setting. But that is just me and I feel like I got a lot more out of traditional classes.

That's why each person must analyze their learning style. Some people do better with no distractions such as occur in a classroom. Some need the structure of a classroom. But it is wrong to automatically lump an educational method as bad just because it does not work for us.

terrible one

Always wandering
Very true, however, I question the motives behind choosing a distance program over others. As many are looking for a quicker easier way to the finish line and not picking a program based on actual learning tendencies.
Not saying that was the OP's agenda but it does make one question it when posting statements like "it takes 4 years to complete"
I am sure they have other reasons too and this was not meant to be a personal attack on them.

Last edited by a moderator:

8jimi8

CFRN
I used training division, online to get my basic. You will basically read the AAOS
1. read chapter
2. do associated workbook pages
3. take chapter test.
4. repeat to end of book

Then you go for your boot camp / clinicals

daily skills and chapter tests for a week then the final test.

You have to arrange for another facility to test for NREMT.

OP
OP
Z

Zalan

Forum Crew Member
Very true, however, I question the motives behind choosing a distance program over others. As many are looking for a quicker easier way to the finish line and not picking a program based on actual learning tendencies.
Not saying that was the OP's agenda but it does make one question it when posting statements like "it takes 4 years to complete"
I am sure they have other reasons too and this was not meant to be a personal attack on them.

My motive is I don`t want to take 4 yrs to get from point A to B if it can be done in 2 yrs. Working full-time & going to school full-time puts a serous strain on family, marriage, & me. Surving 2 yrs is doable, but 4 is iffy. Getting a degree is not important. What is important is getting the cert, & being able to do the best care possable.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
My motive is I don`t want to take 4 yrs to get from point A to B if it can be done in 2 yrs. Working full-time & going to school full-time puts a serous strain on family, marriage, & me. Surving 2 yrs is doable, but 4 is iffy. Getting a degree is not important. What is important is getting the cert, & being able to do the best care possable.

Why is getting a degree not important to you? I'm not saying don't do the online, believe me I get the family, marriage thing, I went through it myself, but in general a degreed program will give you the best opportunity to "do the best care possible"

legion1202

Forum Lieutenant
Dude.. get your basic classes done you can do them in less than a year you could even get those classes done online. I think online school for some classes work like math, history, etc.. But would you want a doctor to get his MD online? I'm not saying online school medics arent good because there are some community college medic's outthere that suck too.

I would base my choices on getting hired and what you want to do long term. Where do you live maybe people on this board can help you find a local school.

Good luck any how

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

I understand your situation. Your kids only grow up once. Your wife may grow to resent you if you're never home. What good is the degree if it causes a divorce and alienates you from your kids? If they're young, all they know is that daddy's not home.

Personally, I chose a 13 month paramedic program over a three year RN program. We had a new baby, and were already going into debt just doing what we were doing, let alone adding the cost for school. Let's think about it, I could slip deeper and deeper into debt, and also miss the first three years of my child's life, basically. Or, I could go to school for a little over a year, and only have be there twice a week for the first month and the last. Additionally, in doing the three years of school in my case, or four years in the OP's case, you're losing revenue for that extra time in school.

Really, the OP could do the quick paramedic program, and then do the additional classes required for the degree afterward, on his own time. That's what I'm doing. When you're young and don't have much in the way of bills, or obligations, then you can afford to do things the long way. When you have a family, it's different. Family comes first.

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
I understand your situation. Your kids only grow up once. Your wife may grow to resent you if you're never home. What good is the degree if it causes a divorce and alienates you from your kids? If they're young, all they know is that daddy's not home.

Personally, I chose a 13 month paramedic program over a three year RN program. We had a new baby, and were already going into debt just doing what we were doing, let alone adding the cost for school. Let's think about it, I could slip deeper and deeper into debt, and also miss the first three years of my child's life, basically. Or, I could go to school for a little over a year, and only have be there twice a week for the first month and the last. Additionally, in doing the three years of school in my case, or four years in the OP's case, you're losing revenue for that extra time in school.

Really, the OP could do the quick paramedic program, and then do the additional classes required for the degree afterward, on his own time. That's what I'm doing. When you're young and don't have much in the way of bills, or obligations, then you can afford to do things the long way. When you have a family, it's different. Family comes first.

I hate to do this but I actually have to agree. Family is more important than any degree or job. EMS is just a job, not a calling, not a life style, nothing but another job.

dry-fly

Forum Probie
I took the EMTB class from TrainingDivision.Com also. Personally, I think the EMTP class online would be tougher than going to a classroom. There is a TON of material they cram in when you go to their "boot camp." It's one thing to do that for basic, but for P.... shesh. I understand your basically stuck between two less than perfect options.

JPINFV

Gadfly
But would you want a doctor to get his MD online?

I think you'd be surprised at the number of medical students who opt for watching the lecture recording instead of sitting in on the actual lecture.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Going to a tradional school means its a 4 year process for me. I have to take a few refresher courses, & then the pre-requist class which will take 2 yrs.

Intro to College Writing II
English Composition
A&P I
A&P II

In that order before I can even enter into the paramedic program which is a 2 yrs degree program. There are no other Paramedic programs in the area beside the local community college.

What's wrong with that? For my Paramedic degree, I transferred over credits from my undergraduate nursing program to include: Anatomy & Physiology I and II, Pathophysiology, Microbiology, English Composition I and II, Fundamentals of Professional Communication, General Psychology I, US History I and II, Abnormal Psychology, General Chemistry I, Dosage Calculation, American Literature, and Cellular and Molecular Biology in a program that required

A & P I and II (Nursing level), Microbiology, English Comp I and II, Fundamentals of Prof Communication, EMS Management and leadership I, music or art apprecation, etc and you are complaining about Intro to College Writing II, English Composition, A&P I, A&P II.

This is the problem with EMS. EMS wants to be accepted as a profession, yet they don't want to put in the proper time. I spent more time in biology as a nurse than a Paramedic spends in their entire certification, yet you want to be held to the same level as RN's and regarded as a profession when your training on human pathophysiology, anatomy & physiology, and the overall disease process is minimal at best with a bunch of fancy skills attached.

EMS will not be truly recognized as a profession until we start implementing degree programs which consist of Nursing, Pre-Med, and Pre-Pharmacy levels of undergraduate A & P and not some course where a Paramedic instructor with no credentials in biology whatsoever goes over a topic and then sums up a system with, "Well you don't need to know this to practice in EMS", Full Humanities requirements to include Composition I and II, Research, Microbiology, and Communicating in the Professions, just like nursing has.

Stop trying to shortcut education people.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
What's wrong with that? For my Paramedic degree, I transferred over credits from my undergraduate nursing program to include: Anatomy & Physiology I and II, Pathophysiology, Microbiology, English Composition I and II, Fundamentals of Professional Communication, General Psychology I, US History I and II, Abnormal Psychology, General Chemistry I, Dosage Calculation, American Literature, and Cellular and Molecular Biology in a program that required

A & P I and II (Nursing level), Microbiology, English Comp I and II, Fundamentals of Prof Communication, EMS Management and leadership I, music or art apprecation, etc and you are complaining about Intro to College Writing II, English Composition, A&P I, A&P II.

This is the problem with EMS. EMS wants to be accepted as a profession, yet they don't want to put in the proper time. I spent more time in biology as a nurse than a Paramedic spends in their entire certification, yet you want to be held to the same level as RN's and regarded as a profession when your training on human pathophysiology, anatomy & physiology, and the overall disease process is minimal at best with a bunch of fancy skills attached.

EMS will not be truly recognized as a profession until we start implementing degree programs which consist of Nursing, Pre-Med, and Pre-Pharmacy levels of undergraduate A & P and not some course where a Paramedic instructor with no credentials in biology whatsoever goes over a topic and then sums up a system with, "Well you don't need to know this to practice in EMS", Full Humanities requirements to include Composition I and II, Research, Microbiology, and Communicating in the Professions, just like nursing has.

Stop trying to shortcut education people.

Here in Canada EMS is a profession. Our EMS courses are longer than your average course in the USA as we educate as well as teach skills. I'm planning on getting my bachelors degree from either Medicine Hat College which is a Bachelor of Health Sciences (Paramedic) BHSc, or from the University of Toronto at Scarborough Bachelor of Science in Paramedicine BSc. I believe in mre education, but sadly there are many in this forum who disagree with a bachelor's degree requirement for paramedic.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Here in Canada EMS is a profession. Our EMS courses are longer than your average course in the USA as we educate as well as teach skills. I'm planning on getting my bachelors degree from either Medicine Hat College which is a Bachelor of Health Sciences (Paramedic) BHSc, or from the University of Toronto at Scarborough Bachelor of Science in Paramedicine BSc. I believe in mre education, but sadly there are many in this forum who disagree with a bachelor's degree requirement for paramedic.

I think that the US should really look closely at how EMS education is carried out in other parts of the world, particularly in Canada and New Zealand and implement some of those standards right here at home.