Is it okay to go to an interview if you're not sure you want the job or not?

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Supposing you're looking for a job and you're still undecided where you'll work, is it okay to

A) Submit applications to different services simultaneously.

B) Decline a job offer after an interview. (Like, is that just a waste of everyone's time?)

C) Get a new job but you find one you like better, isn't it kind of rude to just leave the first job?

I'm now thinking I may go to Houston due to an error with Medstar's automatic notification's system (I can't apply until maybe November, missed the most recent round because I didn't get the notification as I sound have. But okay)

Still looking for a 911 job.

Working on my resume. State cert paperwork is done. Just working on getting a job now.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
None of these things are even remotely bad. With that being said, a lot of EMS offers are pretty similar, so there’s that. St Joseph’s in Bryan and Christus in Longview or UT Health EMS in Tyler will hire new EMTs all day long, so I would recommend there if you’re goal is 911 EMS before Houston. Houston isn’t impossible for a brand new basic, but they can be a little pickier and you’re probably looking at IFT work exclusively unless Cypress Creek or one of the smaller services like Lake Jackson happens to be hiring EMTs.

If you’re already living in the DFW/NE Texas area, I’d recommend applying at those services first, then AMR/Acadian, then look towards moving.

Simultaneous apps are fine, as is declining an offer if it doesn’t meet your needs. Be aware most offers probably will be similar though so you need clear cut pay and schedule criteria.

OP
OP
DragonClaw

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
None of these things are even remotely bad. With that being said, a lot of EMS offers are pretty similar, so there’s that. St Joseph’s in Bryan and Christus in Longview or UT Health EMS in Tyler will hire new EMTs all day long, so I would recommend there if you’re goal is 911 EMS before Houston. Houston isn’t impossible for a brand new basic, but they can be a little pickier and you’re probably looking at IFT work exclusively unless Cypress Creek or one of the smaller services like Lake Jackson happens to be hiring EMTs.

What are you looking to get into?

What do you mean what I'm looking to get into?

I want 911, if that's what you mean. Would rather be a second responder than a third one ;)

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
A and B are fine. C is fine in most cases, but if I hired you and you left, say, a week later to take another job, I'd be unhappy about getting nothing in return for the time I spent training you. That could lead to word-of-mouth consequences for you. Maybe that's fair and maybe it's not.

Try to avoid burning bridges by not doing to someone else what you wouldn't want done to you.

OP
OP
DragonClaw

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
A and B are fine. C is fine in most cases, but if I hired you and you left, say, a week later to take another job, I'd be unhappy about getting nothing in return for the time I spent training you. That could lead to word-of-mouth consequences for you. Maybe that's fair and maybe it's not.

Try to avoid burning bridges by not doing to someone else what you wouldn't want done to you.

My thoughts exactly on that, I wouldn't want to do that.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
My rule of thumb is I'll stay at an employer for a year before I jump ship. There are a few exceptions. Aka dream job comes along. Family emergency. Toxic work environment.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I've interviewed for positions and declined the job offer. An interview is a great opportunity to learn about the company. On a personal level, I suck at interviews, and I find the more I do the better I perform. Sometimes I interview for the sake of interviewing.

After leaving interviews and receiving offers I've graciously turned them down if it wasn't a good fit.

It is also my general rule to stick it out for a year, even when a job isn't a perfect fit. If I had an extraordinarily compelling reason to jump ship I wouldn't hesitate to give two weeks notice in the EMS field.

Good luck!

RocketMedic

I don’t necessarily hold myself to a set time at a job, I treat employers as they treat me.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Nothing wrong with declining an offer after an interview. You've never had an EMS job, you should take all the opportunities at interviewing for one that you can get. It'll give you practice for your MedStar interview in November. Also don't expect to schedule many interviews without your state cert in hand. It's worth a try, but many companies are not going to offer you anything without a cert.

OP
OP
DragonClaw

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Nothing wrong with declining an offer after an interview. You've never had an EMS job, you should take all the opportunities at interviewing for one that you can get. It'll give you practice for your MedStar interview in November. Also don't expect to schedule many interviews without your state cert in hand. It's worth a try, but many companies are not going to offer you anything without a cert.

My understanding of the cert thing was as long as I can prove I've passed the registry, then I'm okay to submit applications. I don't have any record or anything, so there shouldn't be any holdup for a certification.

I mean. I wanted Medstar then, still do now, but if I find a place I'm happy at, I don't know how much I'll be looking to get a different job and move again. I'm pretty loyal if you treat me right.

Maybe that's not good? I dunno.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
My understanding of the cert thing was as long as I can prove I've passed the registry, then I'm okay to submit applications. I don't have any record or anything, so there shouldn't be any holdup for a certification.

I mean. I wanted Medstar then, still do now, but if I find a place I'm happy at, I don't know how much I'll be looking to get a different job and move again. I'm pretty loyal if you treat me right.

Maybe that's not good? I dunno.
Potential employers don't know that nothing will hold up your certification. Never hurts to ask, but some places may ask you to wait.

RocketMedic

I would advise waiting until the state Cert is in hand.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
You've passed the national registry exams? and have an NREMT card in hand, I'd apply, and note your state card is pending (assuming it's just the state to do a paperwork shuffle and send you the state card). I mean, the application for a texas card is handled online at https://dshs.texas.gov/emstraumasystems/txonlinelinks.shtm, so that should make it even easier. and NREMT appears to be the hardest prereq, so complete the background check and start sending out apps.

Most employers aren't going to interview you on friday and expect you to start on monday (at least the decent ones won't). Apply everywhere to get least get a job so you can gain experience. Your first job might suck, but in many cases that experience will make it easier to get a better job. Also keep in mind some places post jobs and won't interview for weeks or months.

And if you interview and you turn down the job, no worries... should you decide to reapply you will just have to go through the process again.

OP
OP
DragonClaw

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
You've passed the national registry exams? and have an NREMT card in hand, I'd apply, and note your state card is pending (assuming it's just the state to do a paperwork shuffle and send you the state card). I mean, the application for a texas card is handled online at https://dshs.texas.gov/emstraumasystems/txonlinelinks.shtm, so that should make it even easier. and NREMT appears to be the hardest prereq, so complete the background check and start sending out apps.

Most employers aren't going to interview you on friday and expect you to start on monday (at least the decent ones won't). Apply everywhere to get least get a job so you can gain experience. Your first job might suck, but in many cases that experience will make it easier to get a better job. Also keep in mind some places post jobs and won't interview for weeks or months.

And if you interview and you turn down the job, no worries... should you decide to reapply you will just have to go through the process again.

Yep. Pass! Test took like 15-20 minutes. Zoom

I already submitted my state application and did fingerprints. Just getting my resume ready and then I'm going to hunt down jobs like a snake looking for dinner in a cheese factory. Its me. I'm the mouse.

Hopefully in the coming weeks, I'll have some good news in the job hunting.